• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Whats the problem with measurements - a lot of simple online places with ready made shirts like Lands End - offer a much much wider range of collar sizes and sleeve lengths than here - half sizes collars and infinitely variable sleeve lengths. And cheap.

Try paulfrederick.com which has a 30% sale one at the moment

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I laughed. I thought you were joking when you said you picked up a new one from Azzaro .... did you have 3" high cuffs put into the trousers like you said?

Nope, no joke. A beautiful Canali Exclusive for $700? Fantastic.

I don't think I actually said I'd put 3" cuffs on. When I looked closer, the pants are unpleated, so I ended up with no cuffs at all (see a trend here of not looking?).

__PG__

Reaction score
Was it the charcoal-grey glen-plaid with the turquoise window-pane?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used to a big opponent of cuffs. Then I surprised myself by actually considering cuffing the pants of my new casual suit after looking at the Canali site.
uhoh.gif

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Whats the problem with measurements - a lot of simple online places with ready made shirts like Lands End - offer a much much wider range of collar sizes and sleeve lengths than here - half sizes collars and infinitely variable sleeve lengths. And cheap.
I assume you mean if you take measurements yourself and send off to one of the online makers.... well sure this works for some no doubt, but I can't count how many "does my shirt fit" threads I've seen where the subject has received a pretty ordinary result from this process.

But as you said, it is cheap, and you can afford a bit of trial and error. Personally I prefer to go to a shirtmaker, where I can see and feel the fabric, and who I can go back to if I need any adjustments. For me - and others may disagree - I think the service of a good local shirtmaker is worth the premium over the online alternatives.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Used to a big opponent of cuffs. Then I surprised myself by actually considering cuffing the pants of my new casual suit after looking at the Canali site.
uhoh.gif

Cuffs can make or break (excuse unintentional pun) a pair of trousers. Done well they help the pants break evenly and look smart. Done poorly or if the fabric doesn't suit being cuffed, you can end up with a bloody mess or like an extra from Singing in the Rain (despite what you see on WAYWRN, this is not a good look in 2011).

Also, you need an alterations tailor that really knows what they're doing.

PS - please, please don't do anything larger than 1.5"!

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
My Saphir came in today, a week to the day that I ordered it from A Fine Pair of Shoes... will be ordering from them again for sure.
Enjoy it. I am slowly starting to get great results with mine...and what a smell.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Cuffs can make or break (excuse unintentional pun) a pair of trousers. Done well they help the pants break evenly and look smart. Done poorly or if the fabric doesn't suit being cuffed, you can end up with a bloody mess or like an extra from Singing in the Rain (despite what you see on WAYWRN, this is not a good look in 2011). Also, you need an alterations tailor that really knows what they're doing. PS - please, please don't do anything larger than 1.5"!
That's why I ended up couldn't be arsed and went for cuffless again.
laugh.gif
By the way. Where can I find some white MOP button sets? Jobs buttons are just in a big tub. I can't be bothered going through it all.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
I assume you mean if you take measurements yourself and send off to one of the online makers.... well sure this works for some no doubt, but I can't count how many "does my shirt fit" threads I've seen where the subject has received a pretty ordinary result from this process.

But as you said, it is cheap, and you can afford a bit of trial and error. Personally I prefer to go to a shirtmaker, where I can see and feel the fabric, and who I can go back to if I need any adjustments. For me - and others may disagree - I think the service of a good local shirtmaker is worth the premium over the online alternatives.

I wasn't clear - I was talking about ordering some - off the rack (OTR) ready made shirts first. I agree the online MTM shirts are a real mixed bag.

The OTR shirts from usa makers, at least, offer a better range of sizes for collars and sleeve length at prices less than $50 aud. Then you can see what suits and get measurements to perhaps go MTM online.

I was assuming the original poster was newish to the whole game and in that case I think expensive MTM or bespoke is a step too far at this point.

bhall41

Reaction score
Ryan, you could try the RACV club, if you are a member. They have a woman there who polishes shoes a couple days per week. Can't remember which ones sorry.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
I wasn't clear - I was talking about ordering some - off the rack (OTR) ready made shirts first. I agree the online MTM shirts are a real mixed bag.

The OTR shirts from usa makers, at least, offer a better range of sizes for collars and sleeve length at prices less than $50 aud. Then you can see what suits and get measurements to perhaps go MTM online.

I was assuming the original poster was newish to the whole game and in that case I think expensive MTM or bespoke is a step too far at this point.

I agree with your logic here. For $50 you can't really go wrong with the option you put forward.

I think though that a newbie in the right hands can't really go wrong with MTM/bespoke either. Sure it's more expensive, but the result will almost inveriably be better - particularly if most OTR shirts don't fit. I think in this regard getting a MTM shirt is less of a risk than say a MTM suit.

I remember my first MTM shirt - someone recommended a tailor to me and the result was near perfect first time around. I still have that first shirt and I still go there for my shirts now.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re the above few points, I still can't recommend cottonwork enough as a cheaper alternative for the MTM shirt route. I think the key is not using body measurements though, but using the measurement system where you measure your favourite shirt. Of course this means you need to have a good fitting shirt to start off with but it can be altered fairly easily if say you need a few more cm's in the sleeves than the best one you have.

I always think self measurement is too easy to get wrong, measurements can very easily be done in the wrong spots, or tape pulled too tight or too loose etc.

I've got my fit down with them now and am just about to have another 5 more arrive this week hopefully. Plus, they are great to deal with and turn around from order to delivery is usually 2-3 weeks. At 60-80 for most of the fabrics you can afford to muck around a bit with the measurements too.

My 2 cents anyway.

Doug11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryanohare
Anywhere in Melbourne that does a decent shoe-shine?

The guy under the Rialto has done my shoes for years - does a great job (he is near the cafe out the back on the gorund floor).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads