• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants too tight?

Cayne-Abel

Reaction score
These are the pants from a size 36 Vestimente (Tombolini) suit I got for $550. I had the tailor loosen up the waist and seat as much as he possibly could (there wasn't much excess fabric to work with).

Even so, the pants feel much tighter on me than any suit pants I've ever had (however, I should note that I don't have much experience with wearing properly-fitted clothing - almost all the suits I've ever owned were far too big on me).

I can sit in them with no problem, but when I try spreading my knees and thighs, it gets pretty tight. The point of tightness is just around the bottom of both side pockets. So although I can sit with no problem, crouching to pick something up off the ground is not so care-free. If I want to crouch, I'd either have to bend my knees forward without allowing them to point out and away, or I'd first have to hike the pants up , which gives my knees more range of movement.

The other issue is the butt. For example, with my other suit pants, if my underwear gives me a wedgie, I could generally pull it out through the pants. With these pants, pulling a wedgie out is very difficult (without putting my hand inside my pants) because there is not enough loose fabric to allow me to fish the underwear out of my butt-crack. I'm wondering if this just comes with the territory for good-fitting pants.

I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for the "fitted" look...I just need to know if it looks acceptable rather than foolish.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

P.S.: How's the break?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not a tailor, but this is what I see/feel from looking at them and experiencing similar things in the past. I feel the legs are ok, but the amount of break you have makes them flare out at the bottom making them look a bit bell bottomy. They do look a tid tight in the seat and the back rise and "side-rise" looks a bit long for where you are wearing them, that is why you are getting that creasing under your butt and the swooping towards your centerline rather than the trousers falling striaght down, or more gradually sloping from your hips to your feet. The crotch tightness I suspect has more to do with the longer rise of the pants than tightness in the seat. If you yank them up on your waist about an inch I bet they would be much more comfortable and the break would shorten.

P.S. the massive amount of letting out has given the back pockets the hammerhead shark look. Wouldn't be noticeable with a jacket FWIW.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
little snug around the waist, definitely snug in the seat.

I'd shoot for about a half inch less length. Otherwise though, I think the size of the leg is good.

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not tight, it looks normall.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
they are just too tight.
like patric says pull the trouser up on your waist it may help.
check the crotch, see if there is some cloth there to let out.

Shalebot

Reaction score
Not a tailor, obviously, but I think the problem is in the seat / crotch. The way it pulls makes the pants look way tighter than they really are.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Cooper said, they flair a little. They are not too tight (kind of wondering what your regular trousers are like!
eh.gif
). The real test is if you can see ********* when you sit down (or if anyone else can for that matter)! Edit: oh, like HomerJ said, wtf is up with the pockets?!
tongue.gif
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have quoted a shorter version of your post purely for my own enjoyment and potential future reference.
Lolz!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
legs look fin, although the thigh area looks like there's some flair so it's giving you 'hips'.

of course the more glaring problem is that the seat is too tight and having let it out, your pockets are now too wide. I have few pairs of pants with fit issues like this and wear them only with a jacket.

$550?! wow. just get bespoke or MTM for that price.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imag0149c.jpg
The pants are too tight but the pose is marvelous. You may have been a gunslinger in a previous life. Or leave pants 'as is' and accessorize with a long jacket, cowboy boots, spurs and double holstered belt.
image_99277.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too tight. And it's coming from me.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Far too tight for you. Get rid of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics