• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US measurement system,i don't get it.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
It could be worse... the British still use the 'stone' measurement system
facepalm.gif

and using the stone worse than using the pound and yard?

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is.

When I first heard the stone, I was wondering what kind of stone it is.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
We can't make up our mind - we largely went metric, but still measure roads in miles and beer in pints. The thought of drinking beer by the 1/2 litre is horrible...

Just drink full litres problem solved.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
australia is entirely metric apart from beer which still comes in (uk) pints.

Rubish, only pretentious gits drink pints in Australia.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Benzito
Cuz you don't understand imperial measurements. Get a clue.

Edit: Also, it is much more impressive to say you've got 12 inches rather than 35 or 36 centimeters.

Hmmm someone can't do maths.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
And the oldsters! I also remember hearing Imperial used in the cricket broadcasts. JustinW contends otherwise, however.

Yes most cricket dimensions are measured in yards, for example the pitch is 22 yards (or 1 chain) long

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Could you elaborate on this?
Sure. When you have to add/subtract dimensions it's easier to use fractions than decimals.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
Baseball I can understand why you don't get what's going on. It's just a bunch of guys standing around doing nothing.
Actually we brits understand baseball perfectly. Cricket, it's just a bunch of guys standing around doing nothing. Sent from Tapatalk.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
The only thing that would be better than switching to the metric system would be if we could switch to a base 8 or base 12 numbering system and then use the equivalent of the metric system. Base 10 sucks.

+1.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Sure. When you have to add/subtract dimensions it's easier to use fractions than decimals.
? 34 7/27" - 6 4/39"= 34 273/918" - 6 108/918 = 28 165/918" 87.02cm - 15.5cm = 72.52cm If you ignore outlandish fractions it may be easier, when you're used to it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
? 34 7/27" - 6 4/39"= 34 273/918" - 6 108/918 = 28 165/918" 87.02cm - 15.5cm = 72.52cm If you ignore outlandish fractions it may be easier, when you're used to it.
4ths 8ths 16ths and that's it. No measurement in SAE is 27ths or 39ths Nice try though, you're not from around here are you?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Seriously guys,it's very unconventional and pointless while as metric system is much more better
for example in US measurement system

1 inch =6/P \t
1 foot=12 in \t
1 yard =3 ft
1 mile= 5280 ft

in metric system

1 km = 1000m
1 m = 100cm
1cm = 10mm

much more conventional and easy than Imperial measurement system,why won't US change it?

Shut your foreign whore mouth!*

Whats a "p"?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Whats a "p"?
probably poppyseed if my memory is good. it is some division of barley corn. but ********* up there are 4 to every every barley corn so that means 1 inch=12 P not 6

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
I wanted to make a point,not just say "imperial system sucks,metric FTW"

uhoh.gif

Such an American answer.

You do know the Empire uses the Imperial system?

The Americans use US Standard. Or whatever the hell it's called. The Americans haven't used Imperial in over 200 years. The same way they haven't spoken English . I guess this is why some people want to force all Americans to learn English and give up American. I think metric will come first.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
4ths 8ths 16ths and that's it. No measurement in SAE is 27ths or 39ths

Nice try though, you're not from around here are you?

But I do live here.

And in your earlier post you spoke off base twelve and sixteen, thus conceivably some high denominators. Anyway, I now deduce that American builders are only 2/3th as accurate as 'metric' ones. 2/Anyway, depending on the figure behind the comma the denominator is always the same for all the fractions: 10, 100, 1000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads