• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Isn't every area of Australia the dregs?
laugh.gif

FTFY.

Doug11

Reaction score
Isn't every area of Sydney the dregs?
laugh.gif

Other than the North Shore and waterfront properties elsewhere - YES. The rest of Aus used to be o/k - but Gillard and the Greens are so quickly destroying our culture and heritage, that I think the end is near.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PregnantBob
To be fair, it's the dregs of EVERY area in Sydney, I personally like most Merivale venues in terms of the decor and the effort put into design, but you don't goto a venue for the interior design, you do it for the atmosphere and most of the places fail miserably in that regard

I may be wrong here but I find the design of the Ivy confusing and claustrophic in a bad way. The staff though are attentive at kereping the place clean. It seems that for some it must be an arranged highlight night hence the camera phone snaps. The music also is pretty naff.

laugh.gif

Barry Humphries reckoned in Sydney you could still hear the chains clanging!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

I know some are on the same level as Collingwood and Fitzroy. But Toorak and South Yarra are in a league of their own.
lol8[1].gif
By the way do they still regularly have bodies washing up on what passes for beaches in Melbourne?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Had to chuckle about this because I nearly did the same with a pair of trousers I wore for the first time on Friday. Last minute snip while heading out the door!

As for pocket squares, I hope the Fairfax press isn't reading this thread because there will be an article about this 'new, hip, retro trend' sweeping workplaces across the nation. Then every dork and his friend will be stuffing their hankies in their jacket pocket.

Must have been something in the air. I wore my new Canali suit for the first time on Monday, and left the label tacked onto the sleeve. I ducked into Sam's on the way to work to get it removed, but I had also left the basting stitches in the vents, which I didn't notice until the afternoon.

This is what you get when you dress in the dark (trying to be considerate of my wife on the first day of school holidays).

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tall poppy syndrome. Standard Mexican behaviour

PregnantBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doug11
Other than the North Shore and waterfront properties elsewhere - YES..

I'm sorry but waterfront on the river in the west is still... the west...

oh god... Im acting like a North Shore mum... my mum... oh god...

Originally Posted by meister
I may be wrong here but I find the design of the Ivy confusing and claustrophic in a bad way. The staff though are attentive at kereping the place clean. It seems that for some it must be an arranged highlight night hence the camera phone snaps. The music also is pretty naff.

The IVY is rubbish, I'm just glad we have a a plethora of small alleyway bars opening... it's only been able to happen for the last year and a bit, we were really playing catch up to Melbourne in this case.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
Barry Humphries reckoned in Sydney you could still hear the chains clanging!

laugh.gif
I reckon he's about right.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
I typically wear a pocket square most days if I am wearing a suit. My go to default is the white linen, but I picked up a few silk numbers in Italy last year. What I am more concerned about is the rise of bad pocket squares. In recent months I have noticed a slow increase in the number of pocket squares in the media and on the street, apart from the solid whites, nine out of ten are typically bad. Either too matchy-matchy (most likely from a box shirt-tie-cufflink-square set) or just a colour or pattern that has nothing to do with the rest of the outfit.

That said, the increase in the use of squares is not a bad thing on the whole I suppose. It almost reminds me of when I first started working out from uni in 2004 - French or double cuffs were quite rare. I remember wanting to buy a French cuff shirt for job interviews and the like. DJ's on Bourke St at the time had only a single tiny little shelf in the back of the men's shirts section dedicated to French cuff shirts (now days they wouldn't even be segregated). Within two years they were the standard. Who knows, maybe two years from now pocket squares might be standard issue?

I wear a PS most days when I wear suit and tie. I don't wear them if I don't have a tie on - it just look weird to me.

Being a strutting peacock type, I eschew the white TV fold and stuff a pattterned silk square into my pocket any old how. I buy my squares in op shops - often find them in with the ladies' scarves - so I have plenty of them.

I was very self-conscious about the PS when I first started wearing them, but I've never had any negative reactions. I've even had IT guys, of all people, say they like it.

I reckon it might well be a trend driven by Mad Men, but I doubt I'll stop when the show goes out of favour. Something either works for you or it doesn't, regardless of what's on TV.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Must have been something in the air. I wore my new Canali suit for the first time on Monday, and left the label tacked onto the sleeve. I ducked into Sam's on the way to work to get it removed, but I had also left the basting stitches in the vents, which I didn't notice until the afternoon.
I laughed. I thought you were joking when you said you picked up a new one from Azzaro .... did you have 3" high cuffs put into the trousers like you said?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a PS most days when I wear suit and tie. I don't wear them if I don't have a tie on - it just look weird to me.

Being a strutting peacock type, I eschew the white TV fold and stuff a pattterned silk square into my pocket any old how. I buy my squares in op shops - often find them in with the ladies' scarves - so I have plenty of them.

I was very self-conscious about the PS when I first started wearing them, but I've never had any negative reactions. I've even had IT guys, of all people, say they like it.

I reckon it might well be a trend driven by Mad Men, but I doubt I'll stop when the show goes out of favour. Something either works for you or it doesn't, regardless of what's on TV.

Funny that I imagine that should I ever wear a pocket square for the hell of it (no special occasion or dinner), I'd be wearing it in lieu of a tie.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Funny that I imagine that should I ever wear a pocket square for the hell of it (no special occasion or dinner), I'd be wearing it in lieu of a tie.

I wear them sometimes depending on the context - can look too peacocky.

I tend to tone it down with a small peep of folded white or subdued colour if I don't want to look too try hard. I rarely wear one like its a flash pocket possum trying to escape.

As a general rule I tend to wear them with a sportcoat if there is no tie.

Depending on the context - more likely to wear one if I know the people well - if I am going to a meeting where I'm the focus or I'm presenting and not well known I tend to avoid it. If I'm just another audience member I'd wear one. I wear one to a play or dinner or fillum. I once wore one whilst eating Beef Pho - no tie though.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I noticed in Taiwan (and also in Beijing particularly) that a lot of the new suit wearing people deliberately keep the sleeve label on. I even saw guys with white tacking stitches across the shoulders still in. Keeping the tacking stitches in vents seems to be the go in lots of places.

I mostly leave suit jacket pockets - other than breast and inside - tacked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads