• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Chelsie boots are a little low on my priority list right now - I currently have a thing for laced boots. That said, if I ever do come around, given that that they are so highly regarded and available in Australia, it would seem crazy to me to get anything other the RM Williams.

I recently passed a mens wear store in Roslyn Street Kings Cross that carried a line of lace up Baxter boots. Didn't have time to go in and have not seen them else where a friend recently commented that they were based on a 19th mens boot, looked OK but did't have time to inquire and oddly not seen there in any other stores.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
I typically wear a pocket square most days if I am wearing a suit. My go to default is the white linen, but I picked up a few silk numbers in Italy last year. What I am more concerned about is the rise of bad pocket squares. In recent months I have noticed a slow increase in the number of pocket squares in the media and on the street, apart from the solid whites, nine out of ten are typically bad. Either too matchy-matchy (most likely from a box shirt-tie-cufflink-square set) or just a colour or pattern that has nothing to do with the rest of the outfit. That said, the increase in the use of squares is not a bad thing on the whole I suppose. It almost reminds me of when I first started working out from uni in 2004 – French or double cuffs were quite rare. I remember wanting to buy a French cuff shirt for job interviews and the like. DJ’s on Bourke St at the time had only a single tiny little shelf in the back of the men’s shirts section dedicated to French cuff shirts (now days they wouldn’t even be segregated). Within two years they were the standard. Who knows, maybe two years from now pocket squares might be standard issue?
laugh.gif
A friend of mine wore a red tie, red shirt, red square to dinner one night. I let him be. He got mistaken for a waiter. I roared. I doubt pocket square will stay tbh. I think once all the Mad Men business is finally over and passed, pocket squares will be out again. edit: thanks tobiasj. Hopefully they'll have their shoes reduced, so I can pick up a pair of Zara Oxfords as beater shoe for like $70

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Two quick FYIs for Melbourne ppl:
* Tie Rack in Australia on Collins is having a sale. Lots of ties are 50% off. Some are cheaper -- I picked up 3 for $10 -- though in this bracket the ties are polyester and only some are silk. They have pockets squares, gloves etc. too.
* A SA at Zara told me that they're having their first sale soon, most likely in the next 2-3 weeks (that would be 18-25 July, somewhere around there). I'm tipping those bizarre double-collar shirts will be reeaally cheap...

T.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
I recently passed a mens wear store in Roslyn Street Kings Cross that carried a line of lace up Baxter boots. Didn't have time to go in and have not seen them else where a friend recently commented that they were based on a 19th mens boot, looked OK but did't have time to inquire and oddly not seen there in any other stores.

The Baxter website has details on stores that carry their products. There's a few online stores that you can buy from as well.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobiasj
Hi all

Two quick FYIs for Melbourne ppl:
* Tie Rack in Australia on Collins is having a sale. Lots of ties are 50% off. Some are cheaper -- I picked up 3 for $10 -- though in this bracket the ties are polyester and only some are silk. They have pockets squares, gloves etc. too.
* A SA at Zara told me that they're having their first sale soon, most likely in the next 2-3 weeks (that would be 18-25 July, somewhere around there). I'm tipping those bizarre double-collar shirts will be reeaally cheap...

T.

A note on Tie Rack - they have some nice quality Italian and English neckties from time to time which can work out to be very reasonable on sale aka "3 for the price of 2" deals.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
I was out to dinner on Sat night at Ucello - which is in the Ivy and overlooking the Pool Club bar. So Mrs S and I went and checked it out. What a very young scene it was. We felt ancient, and given that neither of us was wearing a tube-mini dress (outdoors in winter, mind you) or an ironic t-shirt, overdressed.

I have eaten there and found the food so so...hard to explain the Ivy crowd but principally Gen Y out and about on the prowl with business guys having the big night out minus 'er indoors.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister
I have eaten there and found the food so so...hard to explain the Ivy crowd but principally Gen Y out and about on the prowl with business guys having the big night out minus 'er indoors.

The food was hits and misses - but enough hits to make it an okay night out. Though, was out at Longrain the Saturday before and the food there was in another class.

I don't go to clubs very much at all, but I expected the Ivy crowd to be much classier somehow. It was the usual young CUBs out in force. The patrons must have been pretty impressed with themselves because they kept taking photos of each other on their phones.

I had been to Hemmesphere a few years ago, on the other hand, and was really impressed. The vibe was relaxed but very glamourous. Mind, all that glamour comes at a price - I think I remember paying $30 for Martini (can that be right?).

Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Yours in the wash again?

lol8[1].gif
Nah - too cold - so I went with the blue satin jumpsuit instead.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meister

Ok, everyone thinks it so ill just say it.

It's the dregs of the western suburbs. Sorry to sound like a wanker, but the place is a cesspool of tacky westies and should be avoided at all costs.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngnstupid
Guys - guess who found some Church's in an OP shop for 30 dollars
smile.gif

Good score not a lot of use.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I doubt pocket square will stay tbh. I think once all the Mad Men business is finally over and passed, pocket squares will be out again.

3 more seasons... love that show.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tobiasj
Hi all

T.

Ha, I saw those exact shirts in a Zara in New York last Christmas. God knows how and why they made the cut over here. They're fcuking hideous.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee

It's the dregs of the western suburbs. Sorry to sound like a wanker, but the place is a cesspool of tacky westies and should be avoided at all costs.

Spot on. Throw in a few Shire bogans and you've nailed it.

PregnantBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee

To be fair, it's the dregs of EVERY area in Sydney, I personally like most Merivale venues in terms of the decor and the effort put into design, but you don't goto a venue for the interior design, you do it for the atmosphere and most of the places fail miserably in that regard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads