• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US measurement system,i don't get it.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
The only thing that would be better than switching to the metric system would be if we could switch to a base 8 or base 12 numbering system and then use the equivalent of the metric system. Base 10 sucks.
Base 12 for the win! US measurements make sense if you do fractions as they are base 12 or base 16 (lots of common factors). If I had to do everything metric I'd need a calculator. Fractions I can do in my head easily. Man I HATE decimals.
censored.gif
IIRC Japanese builders are dropping metric for "traditional" measurements for the same reasons.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
working in the oil industry in a country which adopted S.I. is fun

kilogram per million standard cubic feet etc

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Think of American football like a chess game between the two coaches. Except the pieces are big and stupid and rarely do as ordered

And the professional "chess pieces" get paid buttloads of US$.
smile.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We can't make up our mind - we largely went metric, but still measure roads in miles and beer in pints. The thought of drinking beer by the 1/2 litre is horrible...

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
australia is entirely metric apart from beer which still comes in (uk) pints.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
laugh.gif
WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE POINT THIS OUT SOONER!?!? Seriously, though, medicine, most of the sciences, and the like use the metric system here. Generally speaking, however, Imperial measures are pretty entrenched, and people don't like change.

Doesn't the US armed forces use the metric system to some extent? I'm of the age group when Imperial (SAE for the Americans) and the metric system overlapped. I can measure in both systems, just don't ask me to convert. Personally a base ten measurement system is stupid simple and everyone else on the planet uses metric.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Base 12 for the win! US measurements make sense if you do fractions as they are base 12 or base 16 (lots of common factors). If I had to do everything metric I'd need a calculator. Fractions I can do in my head easily.

Man I HATE decimals.
censored.gif

IIRC Japanese builders are dropping metric for "traditional" measurements for the same reasons.

Could you elaborate on this?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
We have the Imperial system because we aren't a country full of sissies and faggots. That's why.

teacha.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
If jumping off that cliff would give me better and more conventional life,why not?

If the quality of your life hinges upon a base ten measurement system or one based off archaic benchmarks...you've got bigger problems.

Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
australia is entirely metric apart from beer which still comes in (uk) pints.

And the oldsters! I also remember hearing Imperial used in the cricket broadcasts. JustinW contends otherwise, however.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edinatlanta;4643285 said:
If the quality of your life hinges upon a base ten measurement system or one based off archaic benchmarks...you've got bigger problems.
/QUOTE]

clealry you are not in profesion that requires calcualating things often.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta

And the oldsters! I also remember hearing Imperial used in the cricket broadcasts. JustinW contends otherwise, however.

Ignore what cricket people say, they're boring. (I assume you mean the sport here)
Originally Posted by yachtie
Base 12 for the win! US measurements make sense if you do fractions as they are base 12 or base 16 (lots of common factors). If I had to do everything metric I'd need a calculator. Fractions I can do in my head easily.

Man I HATE decimals.
censored.gif

2?
teacha.gif

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
We can't make up our mind - we largely went metric, but still measure roads in miles and beer in pints. The thought of drinking beer by the 1/2 litre is horrible...

Someone I know from the UK was telling me that it's common to express low temperatures in Celsius and high temperatures in Fahrenheit. England is wacky.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Someone I know from the UK was telling me that it's common to express low temperatures in Celsius and high temperatures in Fahrenheit. England is wacky.
Someone is bullshitting you

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tropics
Someone is bullshitting you

I thought so too but the internet backs him up. I asked because there is an episode of Black Books where they are complaining about the temperature being in the high 80s, which would cause most life on earth to die if it were in Celsius.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads