• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear Red Suspenders?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahjay1
I guess I never considered them "underwear,"

redface.gif

Originally Posted by shahjay1
Furthermore I know the leather on the braces should match the leather of my shoes, but does the silk match the tie? or match the suit?

facepalm.gif

pbandjai

Reaction score
maybe i'm an amateur too, but why the face palm? these leathers shouldn't match, or it shouldn't matter because it's underwear?

Originally Posted by lee_44106
redface.gif

facepalm.gif

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pbandjai
maybe i'm an amateur too, but why the face palm? these leathers shouldn't match, or it shouldn't matter because it's underwear?

redface.gif
laugh.gif

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least you're not wearing clip ons.

Whatever you end up doing, for the love of god, please do not wear suspenders with a belt. A lot of my high school friends do that and it is stupid because not only does it look bad but it shows how stupid you are. You wear suspenders because you think you are edgy and fashionable but instead it shows that you know nothing about clothing.

pbandjai

Reaction score
OK I think I got it ! Is it because they're supposed to be cat gut? and not leather?!

green_machine

Reaction score
with your "i hate jews shirt."

i dont know much about fashion but imho skin heads kind of killed red suspenders

redsuspenders2.jpg

lenahan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by green_machine
with your "i hate jews shirt." i dont know much about fashion but imho skin heads kind of killed red suspenders
redsuspenders2.jpg

the skinheads wear very thin, elastic, clip ons. Assuming you have read posts on this forum, clips are in no way acceptable with suits, odd trousers, etc... They are unattractive, destroy the trousers, and are not that effective. One wears those that are attached with buttons.

apolishedman

Reaction score
funny that chuck bass, the supposed billionaire, would wear clip on braces in addition to leaving the price tag on the sole of his shoe.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
braces01.JPG

Ah, The Reverend Father Bown. he is not indicative of anything either. Simply acquires decent clothes at cheap or no cost in the basis that tailors etc are conned into believing his web site is relevant in decision making.

pbandjai

Reaction score
Sounds like a dream job!

Originally Posted by GBR
Ah, The Reverend Father Bown. he is not indicative of anything either. Simply acquires decent clothes at cheap or no cost in the basis that tailors etc are conned into believing his web site is relevant in decision making.

Oleg

Reaction score
Another example of two nations divided by a common language?

beyonce2.jpg

lenahan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
two at least are models about their trade posing for a magazine/web so not representative of anything. The first one may well be from a film so not representative of anything either.

the first is from Wall Street, the 1987 film which captured the Greed mentality of the 80s. One of my favorites. It is important to realize that the wardrobe in Wall Street of Gordon Gekko (which is one of Michael Douglas's Best performances) and of his Protege Bud Fox (Charlie Sheen, one of his few good performances), was designed, as Flusser put it, to give off a "**** You" vibe. Bright and in your face colors and detailing, imposing shoulders (ironically, Douglas had to wear shoulder pads as his shoulders were to sloped to support his braces). The Braces, as well as contrast collars, were instrumental to this look of power, and "**** you"-ness. I love the film and the style thereof, but I only go with the "**** you" when I want or need to make such an impression. The Bright and colourful braces were instrumental, as they add a sense of power or imposition. I've noticed the difference when I take my braces off. Without them, I look kind of common and ordinary. With them, the look changed. So, if you are attempting to go with the image of power and control, show off your red braces. If you just want to hold up your trousers, don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads