• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Barney's still doesn't pay people and the industry knows that. I'm just trying to figure out if from a business side companies are willing to take that hit just to be in a big door and get brand recognition for it, like paid advertisement. It just seems like a repeating and advertised issue and yet...

It's just my impression, but it feels like '09 brought one of the best/worst sales seasons because of the economy, '10 brought conservative sales because of "under" buying collections to prevent '09 losses, and now in '11 the sales are back again because the economy still sucks.

Yes and no. Business decisions seem to be based on over-optimism, and the fashion sector does not seem immune - very much to the contrary. Barneys *does* pay people - the vendors with good sell through and large vendors first. Designers seem to be always banking on that. Also, don't discount that some people are just plain thick.

I think that FW08 was the craziest season, no?

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anyone shed some light on ordering from Layers London?
hows shipping to can/usa? what about customs?
thinking of just using a proxy but if they mark **** low then ill order myself..
thanks

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
I look like a malnourished gay guy more often than I'd like from candids.

This is pretty much how I look all of the time.

Also re: undershirts, I think the best option to wear under a button up/down is a sleeveless v-neck (which usually means ripping the sleeves off of a v-neck). You don't get the bra effect of a tank, you don't show any fabric if you unbutton the top button, and you don't have a line halfway down your bicep where the t-shirt ends.

FWIW, I wear solid-color ribbed tanks on a regular basis, but pretty much just to the gym.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I follow trends in retail behavior fairly closely, and things definitely haven't gotten back anywhere near pre-recession rates. Buying patterns remain relatively conservative.
I highly doubt it will return to pre-recession levels for the next decade or so, especially with sovereign debt risk

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Shipping with tracking, from Canada at least, is egregiously expensive. Nobody wants to pay that much to ship a package.

It goes both ways, shipping without a tracking number is an easy way to get frauded by a buyer I've seen it done before.

It's actually in their FAQ, and I was also suspicious the first time I ordered. However, I phoned the UPS, and the agent told me that it is legitimate. In certain cases, the courier, not the vendor, may ask for your tax information, for reporting to the IRS, for imported goods.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm assuming FedEx or UPS will be calling me sometime soon to get that information from what I gather LVR wasn't looking for that information so much as giving me a heads up and authorizing that call. Still unnerving wish they would come up with a better system.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Made the rookie mistake of forgetting the name of my new stylist, interim homie ruined the masterwork of my head.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
That's fucked up, how can you just not pay people and get away with it? I guess people are too scared to enforce it because they don't want to get kicked out of Barney's?
There's no enforcement because that's how the system is set up. I have clothes and I'll send them to you to sell; depending on how good or bad they sell (or more importantly, how good or bad your sales are in general) determines how soon or how likely I am to see the full amount back. Like Fok explained, you're either too small and just decide to ******** just so you can keep selling at that shop or not have to fight, or you go through other pain-in-the-ass means of getting back your dollar. The past few years have broken labels and shops this way.

Yes and no. Business decisions seem to be based on over-optimism, and the fashion sector does not seem immune - very much to the contrary. Barneys *does* pay people - the vendors with good sell through and large vendors first. Designers seem to be always banking on that. Also, don't discount that some people are just plain thick.

I think that FW08 was the craziest season, no?

They "pay" depending on who you ask, but like you said before, they don't pay the whole amount. I've heard a couple of brands that are still owed for seasons past. And I'd love to know what kind of deal with the devil they have with NiCo and Rag & Bone, though.

And yeah, I think you're right about 08. That's when I was in NYC before xmas and they had crazy "sample" sales. That's also when the big websites were putting things on sale and stacking coupons on top, basically becoming cheaper than cost.

So far, I haven't seen things to that point this year but I've noticed some shops are feeling more generous than they were last season.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I'd love to know what kind of deal with the devil they have with NiCo and Rag & Bone, though.
srlsy.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASOS is a bit different in that their margins seem to be consistently higher than everyone else but factor in free global shipping.

"Free global shipping" attracted me to Asos, but then i realised they don't take off VAT at the checkout, so that's probably what's paying for it. Sounds illegal to me, but who's gonna do ****.

Barney's still doesn't pay people and the industry knows that.

Man i really hate this. My girlfriend's dad runs a business and he was trying to educate his nephew on some of the old business values etc only to hear things like "wouldn't you say you're old fashioned and outdated in these beliefs?"

I'm not exactly old but it seems that there are so many companies these days whose sole aim is to rip off their partners. Whatever happened to "always leave a little salt on the bread" etc etc?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
"Free global shipping" attracted me to Asos, but then i realised they don't take off VAT at the checkout, so that's probably what's paying for it. Sounds illegal to me, but who's gonna do ****.
Are you sure they're not adding VAT at checkout? They specifically state "VAT is not included in our prices for customers outside of the EU," and I believe them being they have a US website with the same prices as their main website. There's no way that VAT could be included on items that are at 70% off AND include free shipping. I've never had anything removed at checkout but then again, at that price I sure as hell wouldn't expect it to be.

I'm not exactly old but it seems that there are so many companies these days whose sole aim is to rip off their partners. Whatever happened to "always leave a little salt on the bread" etc etc?
Enter Forever 21...

chunkmo

Reaction score
"Free global shipping" attracted me to Asos, but then i realised they don't take off VAT at the checkout, so that's probably what's paying for it.

If you email them you can get your VAT refunded.

omgcookielol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Varvatos Customer Service
Dear John Varvatos Online Guest,

We regret to inform you that we are not able to indicate if/when
a particular style may be in stock as we receive blind replenishment
shipments of our merchandise. We are not advised of the styles
and sizes we will receive in replenishment before hand.

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

This is so weird.
Prada, Balenciaga, Burberry, etc. have always been able to answer my questions about nationwide inventory, and they can usually tell me if they'll be restocking certain items. No idea why John Varvatos would opt for "blind replenishment shipments".

I guess I'll have to call up South Coast on Tuesday or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads