• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US measurement system,i don't get it.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
A quick word.

It's the British Imperial measurements system you're describing

numbers are different,system is not.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So? Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you should too.

If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you too?

If everyone else got involved in a big ass war in Europe woul....oh god damn

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
If everyone else jumped off a cliff would you too?

If jumping off that cliff would give me better and more conventional life,why not?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
H-HA! Nevermind, i have nothing. Running outta steam here, serotonin levels nose diving

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
This vvv

Funny thing about football, even though it's the most popular sport in the US, you will still find that maybe 5% of the people watching REALLY understand it. The average person thinks that the game is won by the immense skill of the quarterbacks, receivers, running backs, linebackers, DBS, etc. These things are obviously very important, but the game is really won by the superhuman effort of the guys at the line, and everything else flows from the success or failure of the linemen to control the line of scrimmage.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Funny thing about football, even though it's the most popular sport in the US, you will still find that maybe 5% of the people watching REALLY understand it. The average person thinks that the game is won by the immense skill of the quarterbacks, receivers, running backs, linebackers, DBS, etc. These things are obviously very important, but the game is really won by the superhuman effort of the guys at the line, and everything else flows from the success or failure of the linemen to control the line of scrimmage.
I've heard a theory that in the US babies get microchips implanted in them with all those rules,so they can understand it.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So true. That's why I always watch the line play more than anything else and prefer the Texans to draft o-line with their high draft picks.

Hatch&Whisk

Reaction score
the imperial system was originally invented as an idiot check for those passing through ellis island. if you cant remember 12:1 then we dont want you ******** up our slums.

thats why america is smartest
boxing[1].gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with it UNTIL you start getting into some engineering calculations where the base units are important. Heat transfer work, for instance, is horrible in U.S/Imperial. It's just awful. The slug is kinda weird, too, truth be told.

~ H

wurm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I have no problem with it UNTIL you start getting into some engineering calculations where the base units are important. Heat transfer work, for instance, is horrible in U.S/Imperial. It's just awful. The slug is kinda weird, too, truth be told.

~ H

Isn't all that work done in metric anyway? I mean any time I've been in science we've used metric I'm pretty sure.

Benzito

Reaction score
No offense but i don't get your games,i don't watch football(soccer) as well,but baseball,football is just...i don't get what's going on there,srsly.
Cuz you don't understand imperial measurements. Get a clue. Edit: Also, it is much more impressive to say you've got 12 inches rather than 35 or 36 centimeters.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously guys,it's very unconventional and pointless while as metric system is much more better
for example in US measurement system

1 inch =6/P \t
1 foot=12 in \t
1 yard =3 ft
1 mile= 5280 ft

in metric system

1 km = 1000m
1 m = 100cm
1cm = 10mm

much more conventional and easy than Imperial measurement system,why won't US change it?

are you not forgeting
thou
rods
chains
links...
and those are just for length

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The primary cause of this discrepancy was human error. Specifically, the flight system software on the Mars Climate Orbiter was written to calculate thruster performance using the metric unit Newtons (N), while the ground crew was entering course correction and thruster data using the Imperial measure Pound-force (lbf). This error has since been known as the metric mixup and has been carefully avoided in all missions since by NASA.
Anyone remember this?
laugh.gif

I'm fine with binary and hexadecimal system too.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get why people don't understand it. There is literally about 10-15 minutes of on field play in 3 hours.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game but I can see how it's forbidding if you are an outsider. The rules are pretty complex and so is the strategy.

Strategy isn't forbidding, it's the fans really. Loud obnoxious people who rarely have any other activities and don't seem to actually understand the strategy of the game beyond getting really excited or angry at certain plays. This isn't all fans of course, but as much a strategy intrigues me I pretty much am going to have to root for whatever city I'm living in at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads