• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MMM made in Italy vs. Romania

mugatu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
you should probably read the article just linked in this topic

you're not a snob, just ignorant

tinfoil.gif

actually you are the ignorant one buddy, i'm perfectly familiar with the chinese labor situation in prato, but that has nothing to do with high-end retail such as we've been discussing here... believe me high-end made in italy definitely still means high craftsmanship, just like high-end made in france, england, japan and even usa...

Hkstyles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mugatu
tinfoil.gif
actually you are the ignorant one buddy, i'm perfectly familiar with the chinese labor situation in prato, but that has nothing to do with high-end retail such as we've been discussing here… believe me high-end made in italy definitely still means high craftsmanship, just like high-end made in france, england, japan and even usa…

i've had good experience with bulgaria and spain as well

mugatu

Reaction score
most definitely... although i agree mmm is not what it used to be, and i wouldn't touch their mir stuff with a 6-ft pole, you are still a fool if you are under the assumption that their mii clothing is made in an illegal prato sweatshop
facepalm.gif

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
actually you are the ignorant one buddy, i'm perfectly familiar with the chinese labor situation in prato, but that has nothing to do with high-end retail such as we've been discussing here... believe me high-end made in italy definitely still means high craftsmanship, just like high-end made in france, england, japan and even usa...
You go into any of these workshops and I guarantee you that you won't find a bunch of white collar Caucasians. No one's saying immigrant workers can't be skilled laborers, but thinking these are artisan tailors of olde is foolish

mugatu

Reaction score
who said anything about "white collar caucasians" ?! now you're bringing race into this...
eh.gif
i give up

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
most definitely... although i agree mmm is not what it used to be, and i wouldn't touch their mir stuff with a 6-ft pole, you are still a fool if you are under the assumption that their mii clothing is made in an illegal prato sweatshop
facepalm.gif

Ha, calm down man. The MiR stuff looks just as good as MiI. It's not like it's MM6 or some ****. Funny thing was my MiR cost more than my MiI...but the end of the day what's important to me is how the clothes fit The article was a good read, sheds some light on events I had no idea where going on

rat2rat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
and you think MMM is using "high-end" manufacturing? do you have a source on that?
STAFF INTERNATIONAL S.p.A http://www.staffinternational.com/

Staff International Group counts 540 employees, 380 based in Italy and 160 abroad.
The strategic departments (production/distribution, marketing/communication, brand/commercial, style/product) work in synergy through a creative and logistic iter that anticipates market trends. The production department is completely Italian and can rely on the collaboration of independent companies which almost represent an extension of the company, but products that require the use of technologically advanced and exclusive methods are manufactured entirely in-house. The new knitwear Atelier acclaims an efficient production organisation, comprising ultramodern machinery and strong project-creative input.
Thanks to a precise multi-brand strategy, the company is an actor in a leading role in the luxury fashion goods industry and handles many of the most significant brands in prêt-a-porter. The effective integration of creativity and style, production and industry, logistics and distribution favours the making of a quality product as the result of the synergy between creativity and technological know-how. The company's mission is to offer the market prêt-a-porter collections that unite original designs, born by constant research and development of new treatments, fabrics, forms and cuts, and the distribution of a highly competitive end product that results from logistical and avant-garde technology.
Staff International was founded in 1976 in Noventa Vicentina (VI). Ever since the 1980s, thanks to a distinctive know-how and excellent sartorial competence, the company establishes itself on the fashion scene by designing, producing and distributing the most emblematic designer brands of the industry. Some of the brand names that have made history have chosen Staff International to produce their lines, and have provided Staff International with the opportunity to assert itself on the market through constant creative-stylistic challenges. In October 2000 the company has been acquired by the group Only the Brave.
The range of brands produced and distributed by Staff International includes, via licences, Dsquared2, Marc Jacobs Men, Maison Martin Margiela, Viktor & Rolf and Vivienne Westwood.

MILESTONES

- 1984 NewYorkIndustrie
- 1988 Oliver by Valentino
- 1993 Maison Martin Margiela
- 1993 Vivienne Westwood
- 1994 Costume National
- 1994 Nn
- 1994 Gym
- 1996 Bella Freud
- 1997 Missoni
- 1998 Stephen Sprouse
- 1998 Clements Ribeiro
- 1999 Mila Schon
- 1999 DieselStyleLab
- 1999 Atsuro Tayama (Green Label)
- 1999 Emanuel Ungaro
- 2000 Dsquared2
- 2000 Karl Lagerfeld Denim Gallery
- 2005 Diesel Denim Gallery
- 2007 Sophia Kokosalaki
- 2008 Viktor & Rolf
- 2008 Marc Jacobs Man

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the tags say Staff International on it.

What I really want to know is what makes Margiela clothing smell the way it does.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rat2rat
STAFF INTERNATIONAL S.p.A http://www.staffinternational.com/
Depends on your definition of high-end manufacturing. STAFF won't hold a candle to the revered houses like Cucinelli or Greenfield, but they also have the ability to produce en masse

mugatu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RegisDB9
Ha, calm down man. The MiR stuff looks just as good as MiI. It's not like it's MM6 or some ****. Funny thing was my MiR cost more than my MiI...but the end of the day what's important to me is how the clothes fit

The article was a good read, sheds some light on events I had no idea where going on

what is annoying is that people in this thread keep referring to chinese sweatshops in prato, and as sad as that situation is, it has nothing to do with staff, mmm or the luxe market...

getting back to the real issue, mii vs mir, well there is a reason why companies are delocalizing towards there and that is because romania has the cheapest labour in europe, and with cheap labour comes various issues notably quality control. if you add to this the fact romania is also the last country to enter the EU in 2007 amidst great controversy, well you start to understand it is becoming the south-asia of europe, but without the stigma of that region, as most people outside EU think it's european therefore it equates prestige (as i read earlier in this thread). there is simply no way romania has the same know-how as italy, especially with premium fabrics or complex fabrication techniques, it is for that reason that you will notice only the most basic pieces from collections are made there. this doesn't necessarily mean mir = garbage, although i wouldn't buy a leather jack or even a suit made there.. it just plain bothers me to pay premium prices for what clearly are cost saving measures.. this being said, to each his own..

chomeo

Reaction score
companies are in it to make money. you either grow the top line and/or cut the bottom line for efficiency and cost.

MMM's value is in the design and fabric choices. MMM is responsible for qualifying the manufacturer for their brands. they're not a manufacturing house and so as long as the manufacturer they choose meets their specs for selling to you, why does it matter where it's made?

as for Italy's quality versus Romania's, well it will take time for the Romania's garment industry to catch up to but they will get there. it just takes more exposure to higher quality standards and the Romanian will be pushed to improve over time.

I may not buy MMM in MiR now as they're relatively new. But I expect future offerings to be on par with MiI.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
what is annoying is that people in this thread keep referring to chinese sweatshops in prato, and as sad as that situation is, it has nothing to do with staff, mmm or the luxe market...

getting back to the real issue, mii vs mir, well there is a reason why companies are delocalizing towards there and that is because romania has the cheapest labour in europe, and with cheap labour comes various issues notably quality control. if you add to this the fact romania is also the last country to enter the EU in 2007 amidst great controversy, well you start to understand it is becoming the south-asia of europe, but without the stigma of that region, as most people outside EU think it's european therefore it equates prestige (as i read earlier in this thread). there is simply no way romania has the same know-how as italy, especially with premium fabrics or complex fabrication techniques, it is for that reason that you will notice only the most basic pieces from collections are made there. this doesn't necessarily mean mir = garbage, although i wouldn't buy a leather jack or even a suit made there.. it just plain bothers me to pay premium prices for what clearly are cost saving measures.. this being said, to each his own..

I have 2 pieces MiR. Black dress pants which fit me great and 100% wool, feels very well made. The other is a S/S shirt from this year....a white one. Now this one I don't care about because its a white BD.
Both have been great.

I did email MMM for the hell of it, but they gave me the auto reply it seems:

Dear Regis,

Thank you for contacting Maison Martin Margiela E-boutique.

All the products we sell are provided directly by Maison Martin Margiela. We can therefore guarantee the authenticity of every piece.

Maison Martin Margiela has various production locations, which are not necessarily in Italy or in Europe. We guarantee that this does not affect the quality of the merchandise, as all of our products are authentic and exactly as sold in retail stores.

We remain at your service should you require further assistance.

Thank you, ....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics