• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you used Dominca Bay Rum? What were your opinions?

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too hot to wear anything other than crisp and clean today - Gendarme

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Yesterday - Tauer Un Rose Chypre - Not half bad at all. Need another sampling on this one to make a final decision.

I've been really excited to try that for a while now. I've heard lots of good things. I'll be interested to hear your final decision. (No new samples lately for me, as I recently spent lots and lots of money on vet bills for my cat.)

Fresh Cannabis Rose for me today.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
hot and sunny, so Jardin sur le Toit again. It's 'juicy' and refreshing.

Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I'm liking that one quite a bit, though I don't get all the notes that the marketing department and some reviewers get, e.g., the compost note. I think I'd like it even more if I got some of those funky notes.

In having tried each of the Jardin's (while narrowing down my pick to le Nil), this is the one I liked the least, precisely because the "compost" note was so prominent. Even with a spritz or two on my wrist, I thought it was reeking like fecal matter.

yeah I also would have liked some more depth to it. All I'm getting is apple juice and maybe some sort of floral, plus a sense of stone tiles or cold concrete. Feels very Greek islands based on my memories

In forcing myself to smell past the stank, I can see this. The apple for sure, and the Greek description is very telling.

giony

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How do you like that one? I've yet to try it out.
Love it! Citrus, woods, rose, soap all perfectly blended, stays about 2 hours then leaves a drydown of sweet soft incense.

Lubin L'eau Neuve today, kinda like having ceviche with fresh ground pepper.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wearing a mystery sample today, unmarked from the last swap box. I'm pretty sure it's Habit Rouge though. Sort of like Heritage but i'm getting lemon, vanilla, and definite civet. I think I'm just too young to appreciate the old man body odour.

El Argentino - compost huh? Things do have a way of changing on my skin, but all i get with this one is the fruit, nothing stinky at all! Hmmm, I'll retest it again sometime to check.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
In having tried each of the Jardin's (while narrowing down my pick to le Nil), this is the one I liked the least, precisely because the "compost" note was so prominent. Even with a spritz or two on my wrist, I thought it was reeking like fecal matter.

In forcing myself to smell past the stank, I can see this. The apple for sure, and the Greek description is very telling.

That gives me some encouragement! I'll try it again and see if I can detect the compost note. So far, my impression has been just like Master-Classter's.

Ungaro II for me today.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
El Argentino - compost huh? Things do have a way of changing on my skin, but all i get with this one is the fruit, nothing stinky at all! Hmmm, I'll retest it again sometime to check.

That gives me some encouragement! I'll try it again and see if I can detect the compost note. So far, my impression has been just like Master-Classter's.

Glad to hear you both want to smell like fertilizer!

But yeah - this one and one of the other Jardin's just do some weird stanky thing on my skin. Can't remember if the other pungent one was la Mousson or de Mediterranee.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've been really excited to try that for a while now. I've heard lots of good things. I'll be interested to hear your final decision. (No new samples lately for me, as I recently spent lots and lots of money on vet bills for my cat.)

Fresh Cannabis Rose for me today.

I thought Une Rose Chypree was brilliant, if you like big, brawny, mildly-heavy scents. I loved it but at the same time, knew I wouldn't wear it but once in a long, long while.

today: wanted to escape the 80/20 rule, and went with L'Instant Homme. Funny enough this has a good sandalwood note, which kinda scratches the itch for now.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
Guess no luck on the ferragamo question. It's a real nice scent imo, wearing it today, just has a little more complexity and staying power than philosykos or other straight fig scents I've owned, and cheap as well.

guys,

any suggestions for resources besides luckyscent or barneys for fragrance scented candles?

Reaction score
^i could never smell that ferragamo. such a damn shame. it's got nice packaging and all. i would've bought it if it was decent coz it's cheap and really around my sweet spot in price but i couldn't smell it.

not sure about platinum but i think there's a noir. i dunno. i know iv tried a flanker of it. couldn't smell both but i think i'd stick to the original nonetheless.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevinsp8
Interesting... people say certain scents don't work with their skin and there's probably truth to that, but I wonder if a big factor is we all detect various scents differently. Which is kind of scary, because the way you think something smells on you may be very different from the way the person next to you smells it.

I think that's right. Two people can notice very different things about fragrances when both have only smelled it from the bottle or on paper. I know my former gf couldn't stand Secretions Magnifiques b/c she picked up a milk note just smelling from the bottle. I've heard other people describe that note too, but I completely miss it, whether I'm wearing it or smelling it from the bottle. (On the plus side, now that she's my former gf, I can wear Secretions Magnifiques again!)

Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere for me today.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nancy Boy Signature Body Spray. Pretty decent in the oppressive heat.

lbcgav

Reaction score
This is mine. Thanks for the free ad. I think it's a nice scent, just not on me and it's too rich for most days in SoCal.

Today: Concentre D'Orange Verte

I'm really liking this scent. I saw someone mention Guerlain Pamplelune and Master-Classter asked if he had tried Concentre D'orange Verte. Is Guerlain Pamplelune similar?

(not mine) Gucci I - 3.3oz $40 - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=253436

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads