• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mercedezzz
I'm really not feeling the first tie. Second look is okay, but I'm thinking a solid tie might work best since you've got a patterned shirt & patterned slacks.

+1. Also, your ties are too short.They should come to the mid-point of where a belt would be worn. Might want to try a smaller knot as well.

ice86x

Reaction score
This might be a bit vague as I don't know what I'm looking for, but what's an acceptable automatic movement watch in the $500 range? I don't want a dressy one; just one for everyday wear

E TF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Yes, definitely too wide.

I thought the usual advice was that tie width should relate to lapel width? They do look a little bit wide on their own, but with a jacket on it might it not be another matter?

easy_golfing

Reaction score
a little paypal help needed:

I purchased pants from a seller who stated the waist was 15.5'' across but is actually bigger. I asked for a partial refund to have the pants taken in, which was refused. I filed a claim and escalated. any ideas on if this will come out in my favor?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^The experience of most on here is that Paypal sides with the buyer even if the buyer is wrong.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by E,TF
I thought the usual advice was that tie width should relate to lapel width?

A narrow lapel demands a narrower tie, but there's still an upper limit to how wide a tie should be for a particular person; wide ties on slim people just don't look good.

acadiaspring

Reaction score
The ill-fitting, short sleeve, cheap looking shirt, baggy pleated pants, and novelty tie is a pretty much the staple of the teachers’ wardrobe where I teach. This past school year (my first year), I tried to set the bar a little higher and invested in the best fitting suits I can find that are still within my limited budget (fake it till I make it?). I only have a few. So, I spent a good portion of my days in a shirt/tie with no jacket. I don’t like this look. Without a jacket to toss on, I would at least like to wear a v-neck sweater over my shirt and tie.

Any suggestions on what to fill my wardrobe with to pull this look off with style? Right now, I have no sweaters at all.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe.

And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe.

What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acadiaspring
Any suggestions on what to fill my wardrobe with to pull this look off with style? Right now, I have no sweaters at all.

Uniqlo are good for cheap sweaters, get a few in various colours, maybe some cashmere for the winter and some thinner cotton ones for the hotter days.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe.

And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe.

What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.

Burgundy (very versatile) or chili.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I have a pair of Florsheims that are essentially a pair of lower quality Park Avenues in black. A cheap black shoe looks a lot better than a cheap brown shoe. And I am pretty much set on the Allen Edmonds Strand in Walnut as my third shoe. What should I get as my second shoe? Black is a little too serious and I think this shoe should get the most wear as something formal but also a little more interesting than black.
Dark brown punch cap, a la the 5th avenue, would be my inclination.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads