• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will I be Ok if I eat red meat today?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sunnydale
If you are vegetarian thinking of eating meat once again, you are not alone from what I've read. Many vegetarians are leaving the diet in favor of eating "ethical meats". I'm guessing ethical means grass fed meats, which is what I try to purchase. "Most Vegetarians Become Ex-Vegetarians?" http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...x-vegetarians/
that link is BS. A vegetarian diet doesn't weaken the immune system or cause anemia. Ethical meat is usually from local farmers and it will have a humane label on it and mention some other facts. I only use locally farmed chicken and it mentions that info. Killing pigs will never be ethical for the same reasons killing dogs isn't. http://www.mercyforanimals.org/pigabuse/

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
that link is BS. A vegetarian diet doesn't weaken the immune system or cause anemia. Ethical meat is usually from local farmers and it will have a humane label on it and mention some other facts. I only use locally farmed chicken and it mentions that info. Killing pigs will never be ethical for the same reasons killing dogs isn't.http://www.mercyforanimals.org/pigabuse/

Anything that tastes as delicious as bacon does cannot possibly be unethical to kill and consume.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Anything that tastes as delicious as bacon does cannot possibly be unethical to kill and consume.

bacon is not worth it. salty lard with greese. isnt turkey bacon just the same anyway?

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
isnt turkey bacon just the same anyway?

You clearly do not have a good grasp of the deliciousness of bacon.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that link is BS. A vegetarian diet doesn't weaken the immune system or cause anemia. Ethical meat is usually from local farmers and it will have a humane label on it and mention some other facts. I only use locally farmed chicken and it mentions that info. Killing pigs will never be ethical for the same reasons killing dogs isn't.
http://www.mercyforanimals.org/pigabuse/

Why is it unethical to kill dogs?

I do love the attempted justification of this, going from not eating meat because its cruel to kill animals to saying its ok to kill animals as long as they have grass to eat rather than cow biscuits. A bit like saying its OK to kill Jamie Oliver because he eats things he's made from scratch but its not OK to kill a fat 10 year old who eats junk food all day.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the macros for human flesh, I need to know whether it would fit into my paleo schedule?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby
Why is it unethical to kill dogs?

their level of emotional intelligence.

Originally Posted by TrH
You clearly do not have a good grasp of the deliciousness of bacon.

I've never had turkey bacon and its been 8 years since I've had pig bacon.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
their level of emotional intelligence.

Of course. Please explain why this means we cannot kill them?

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course. Please explain why this means we cannot kill them?
There's something called the Hierarchy of Animal Value Scale that's used to determine the morality of killing or harming an animal, the top of the scale being the most unethical. Humans are at the top of this scale, followed by dolphins and elephants. Cognitive abilities of other animals relative to humans are used in determining the level they are placed on the scale. Not all animals are to be seen as equivalent.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's something called the Hierarchy of Animal Value Scale that's used to determine the morality of killing or harming an animal, the top of the scale being the most unethical. Humans are at the top of this scale, followed by dolphins and elephants. Cognitive abilities of other animals relative to humans are used in determining the level they are placed on the scale. Not all animals are to be seen as equivalent.

Why is killing a more intelligent animal wrong and where do you draw the line between acceptable and not acceptable?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bacon is not worth it. salty lard with greese. isnt turkey bacon just the same anyway?

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!
ffffuuuu.gif

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is killing a more intelligent animal wrong?

The scale only applies if you consider killing humans to be wrong.

The top sector is untouchable as those animals are nearest to humans in cognitive functioning. One line can be drawn at animals possessing self-awareness in combination with significant intelligence.
The scale can be broken down into sectors but the general goal is to choose animals furthest down the scale based on availability.

speedy4500

Reaction score
Your argument against killing animals fails on its own grounds. Animals kill other animals all the time, without regard to some "cognitive" scale. Is it immoral for a lion to kill a gazelle? Or a honey badger to kill a cobra? No, because honey badger don't give a ****. Animals have no concept of morality or self-awareness nor any concept of what "intelligence" is, so therefor they do not possess even close to the same magnitude of intelligence as humans do. If there is some scale of significant intelligence that should dictate what is acceptable to kill, animals violate it all the time, and so your entire argument falls apart.

If anything, a cognitive function scale would be an argument FOR humans to kill ANY other animal, because clearly any other animal is not even in the same league as humans are with regard to intelligence. In fact, I'm not so sure you can even say that animals have ANY intelligence in the same manner that humans do: I've killed a pig and had other pigs come in and happily lap up the warm blood pulsing out of the dead pig's neck, without any clue that I was going to kill him next.... that is to say, pigs are ******* stupid. When any other animal besides a human invents a cell phone or a space ship, then I might consider them to have similar cognitive abilities. Until then, I want to eat dolphin bacon at some point in my life.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Killing humans for food is only wrong because we are ourselves humans. If there were some stronger, smarter species that ate humans, could we say that were wrong?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics