• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

S-Town

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
I have been saying this forever-- US airplanes are basically flying buses. Coach is an animal pen, and I am stuck there on most flights so I know, not baller. Regional airlines can be okay. I like Alaska and Virgin. the major US airlines are misery tho.

I will be on Lufthansa in a few days, which is a personal favorite.

On a somewhat related note, I flew from Las Vegas to St. Louis in March and had the aisle seat in the very back row (couldn't even recline the 2 inches the rest of the plane could), 3 feet or so from the toilet. Anyway, it blew my mind how many people felt the need to *********** on a 3 hour flight...men and women. my seat may as well have been in the bathroom, because i was breathing feces the entire flight....

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
That was certainly the running joke. I was at a party earlier in the evening. Too many beers plus me attempting to light a joint that was nearly cashed out led to the unfortunate contact with the eyelashes. My eye got a bit watery, but I didn't realize why until someone asked me quite a while later what happened to my eyelashes. Somewhat fashion-related comment: My friend was taking quick snapshots during the party. I'm almost always appalled at the angles of most candid pictures of me.
I look like a malnourished gay guy more often than I'd like from candids.
Originally Posted by S-Town
On a somewhat related note, I flew from Las Vegas to St. Louis in March and had the aisle seat in the very back row (couldn't even recline the 2 inches the rest of the plane could), 3 feet or so from the toilet. Anyway, it blew my mind how many people felt the need to *********** on a 3 hour flight...men and women. my seat may as well have been in the bathroom, because i was breathing feces the entire flight....
Emergency exit/bulkhead seats are where it's at if you fly coach Had such a great spread of fish for dinner tonight. Also wore my new pants out for the first time, such win. Going to love these things

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
What's up with retail margins these days? Did the economy make retailers demand a higher percentage to cover costs or what? It just sounds hard to believe that brands would allow themselves to be discounted so heavily. I thought that **** was '09 status, or the season of the "holy ****, too much product, not enough $$$."

I've been looking at stuff on Barney's and ASOS and quite a bit is left still, even though they're at 60 and 70 respectively AND include free shipping.

$150 pair of jeans on sale for $60 (60% off). Factor in shipping ($10? $15?) and I'm not sure I understand how they're paying for the product and are able to keep the lights on. I'm not sure how they're even breaking even.

ASOS is a bit different in that their margins seem to be consistently higher than everyone else but factor in free global shipping.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
What's up with retail margins these days? Did the economy make retailers demand a higher percentage to cover costs or what? It just sounds hard to believe that brands would allow themselves to be discounted so heavily. I thought that **** was '09 status, or the season of the "holy ****, too much product, not enough $$$."

I've been looking at stuff on Barney's and ASOS and quite a bit is left still, even though they're at 60 and 70 respectively AND include free shipping.

$150 pair of jeans on sale for $60 (60% off). Factor in shipping ($10? $15?) and I'm not sure I understand how they're paying for the product and are able to keep the lights on. I'm not sure how they're even breaking even.

ASOS is a bit different in that their margins seem to be consistently higher than everyone else but factor in free global shipping.

I'm assuming that you are serious. Big retailers can, and routinely, demand "markdown money" from their vendors. It's exactly what it sounds like, forcing the designer to eat part of the costs if the sell through is not high enough. Vendors routinely pay up because sometimes paying back $100K in a season is better than losing $700K in seasonal sales.

Also, unless things have changed, Barneys still doesn't have their factor after losing it a while ago. This means that there is absolutely no guarantee that a vendor is going to get paid. And the average time of payment for by an American retailer on a net 30 invoice is over 90 days. So, at the end of the season, you may still not have gotten paid. Now, the big gives you a choice. They will pay you 85% of what they owe you, or they can draw things out indefinitely. If it's a small retailer, you say "**** you", and cut your losses. If it's a national retailer that has bought tons of your stuff, you are going to bend over, and take it up the ass, and then ask for more. It's that "If you owe the bank $100, the bank owns you; if you owe the bank $1 Billion, you own the bank" thing.

That said, retailers markup from wholesale with a sell through rate projection. If you are selling all of your stock at retail, you've obviously underbought. If you are not moving much until you hit 50% off, well, you fucked up the other way.

Cordwinder

Reaction score
generally speaking, you don't see non-shady people wearing these as their out-in-public shirt. on another note, i've never really seen the benefit to wearing a sleeveless undershirt. i wear undershirts to provide a buffer between my deodorant and my shirts. is it just to keep the nips from showing through thinner shirts???

I grew up wearing sleeveless but switched to t-shirts when in middle school a guy asked if I was wearing a bra under my uniform. As you said, I wear it to prevent sweat stains on my arm pits.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
generally speaking, you don't see non-shady people wearing these as their out-in-public shirt. on another note, i've never really seen the benefit to wearing a sleeveless undershirt. i wear undershirts to provide a buffer between my deodorant and my shirts. is it just to keep the nips from showing through thinner shirts???
I usually wear singlets (what we call them here) when I don't want the undershirt to show at the top of my shirt (I guess a v-neck or lower u-neck would work too) and to stop sweat from going through the whole shirt on hotter days. But I also wear them to provide a means of keeping a tucked in shirt neat and well...tucked in
smile.gif
. The trick of tucking the undershirt into one's underwear then tucking the shirt as normal works like a charm. Something to do with friction. Also, easier to get light singlets here than light short-sleeved undershirts so they don't make one as hot.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that things are getting a lot better. Last fall Dior Homme's sell through was really good so they didn't even have a sale, just sent the stuff straight to the outlet at the end. Jil did really well for Barney's this season too.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Desi
they should have asked you that when you put in your CC info. I wouldn't email it. hit them up on twitter.

It's actually in their FAQ, and I was also suspicious the first time I ordered. However, I phoned the UPS, and the agent told me that it is legitimate. In certain cases, the courier, not the vendor, may ask for your tax information, for reporting to the IRS, for imported goods.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by driveslowk
I was under the impression that things are getting a lot better. Last fall Dior Homme's sell through was really good so they didn't even have a sale, just sent the stuff straight to the outlet at the end. Jil did really well for Barney's this season too.

I follow trends in retail behavior fairly closely, and things definitely haven't gotten back anywhere near pre-recession rates. Buying patterns remain relatively conservative.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drmmr
I paid with a debit card.

Yeah I will once this straightens out. He's a member here as well.

I was quite adamant that I wanted to send the money via non-gift, said I would pay the fees too but like I said, he insisted on gift and I really wanted the item so I went ahead with it. He doesn't seem to have negative feedback on sufu so far and initially he responded pretty quick, and when it came to refunding me the extra money I paid for express he was pretty quick too. Just got my fingers crossed now that he did send the item and it's just stuck in stupid customs, or that I can get my money back if he tried to pull a scam on me.

I agree it was naive on my part.

I would appreciate any more advice on this matter. Thanks.

I refuse to pay via gift payment, or to receive gift payments for non-gifts. The former makes you vulnerable, the second is in direct violation of Paypal policies, and can get your account frozen. For an average of about 3.5% savings, which is the terms the credit cards give to small retailers, you are risking a lot, either way. imo, totally not worth it. Same goes with people not insisting on insurance and tracking. It's false economy.

drmmr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I refuse to pay via gift payment, or to receive gift payments for non-gifts. The former makes you vulnerable, the second is in direct violation of Paypal policies, and can get your account frozen. For an average of about 3.5% savings, which is the terms the credit cards give to small retailers, you are risking a lot, either way. imo, totally not worth it. Same goes with people not insisting on insurance and tracking. It's false economy.

Thanks for responding, Fok.

I usually try not to pay via gift payment unless I've dealt with the person previously, but like I said in this case I really wanted that particular item. I also paid extra for Express shipping to me so I could track the package but the seller apparently forgot and sent it via Priority. Pretty convenient, if you ask me. But he did promptly refund the extra I paid for Express (But to refund that $30-40 is nothing if he was scamming me of $400ish)

Do you think I can get my credit card company to get the money back? Although I used a debit it should still work the same? This is all really new to me.

ice86x

Reaction score
Especially if you're from the states. USPS prices are so cheap, no wonder they're in the red in a business perspective

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Also, unless things have changed, Barneys still doesn't have their factor after losing it a while ago. This means that there is absolutely no guarantee that a vendor is going to get paid. .
Barney's still doesn't pay people and the industry knows that. I'm just trying to figure out if from a business side companies are willing to take that hit just to be in a big door and get brand recognition for it, like paid advertisement. It just seems like a repeating and advertised issue and yet... It's just my impression, but it feels like '09 brought one of the best/worst sales seasons because of the economy, '10 brought conservative sales because of "under" buying collections to prevent '09 losses, and now in '11 the sales are back again because the economy still sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads