• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Sorry for the late reply all, been away fishing at Lake Eucumbene today. brrrr. Anyway thanks for all the advice and reply's, I actually also bought some shurons some time ago with the measuring etc but hated the frames once they came in. I'm a tall guy with an oval/longish face and really need to try glasses on before comitting, so online is out for these. but there are a few boutique optometerists in Canberra and one (arcidiacomo I think) is a client of my mums book keeping business, so I might visit him and see what he has.
I had my second last prescription pair made by Arcidiacono, good service and selection but then I decided to go back to George Skoufis, one thing about Acidiacono is that Matthew the optometrists, father has to be the best traditional barber in Canberra 'Phillip The Executive Hair Salon' Waldof Arcade Civic. By the way did you find out the opening hours for that cobbler in Fyshwick tried ringing again but no answer.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
affecting a small proportion of ebay sellers significantly

***Request for information from ATO and Centrelink*** \t
\t\t
24 June 2011 | 10:38AM EST

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and Centrelink have each advised eBay that they will be issuing formal requests for information relating to sales by Australian eBay members who sold over $20,000 worth of goods on eBay.com.au during the tax year ending June 2011.
The ATO and CentreLink have indicated that they will request the following information in relation to affected sellers:

Contact name
Address
Telephone number
Email and IP address
User ID
Date of birth
Date of registration on eBay
Monthly and annual sales volumes and value
Power seller status
eBay store status

eBay is legally required to comply with these requests for information. In addition, such disclosure is also permitted pursuant to our Privacy Policy. We confirm that disclosure will be made to the ATO by August 1 2011 and in accordance with Centrelink's required timeframes. eBay may also be required to provide available bank account information.

For further information regarding the ATO or Centrelink, please visit www.ato.gov.au or www.centrelink.gov.au. Those affected sellers may also wish to consult with their professional legal or tax adviser.

Regards,

The eBay team

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome
I mean a Versace Collection for anything less than $600-700 seems pretty decent to me.

What sort of suit are you after? Solid charcoal for work? Subtle/flashy pinstripes? 3-piece P.O.W check? Unstructured cotton/elastane? Black linen?

If you give me some more info I can go and do some scouting for you.

pharmaboy

Reaction score
Hi guys, been lurking here a while , and figured Aussies are far more trustworthy to offer up advice on whats suitable (oh dear) for the sartorial environment in Australia. i am located in Newcastle and deal with mainly medicos, and am looking to update wardrobe up from the studio italia and Rundles suits I currently sport.

6'2" 89kg, and a couple of options I have found are these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-CANALI-Suit-...ht_3051wt_1139

http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/...ln--42L/Detail

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Polo-Ralph-L...ht_1341wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-OXXFORD-1220...#ht_2269wt_905

I only want 2 - already have a dark pinstripe charcoal, a medium charcoal by cambridge and co, and a black SI which is already a little worse for wear - so I figured navy blue would be a good start and something lighter, particularly for summer. The navy will probably make double duty as a blazer down the track with some contrasting buttons when the pants wear.

Dont know whether it makes a difference, but i wear ties generally, though not over summer - side effect of being on the road and getting in and out of a car ;(.

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
I had my second last prescription pair made by Arcidiacono, good service and selection but then I decided to go back to George Skoufis, one thing about Acidiacono is that Matthew the optometrists, father has to be the best traditional barber in Canberra 'Phillip The Executive Hair Salon' Waldof Arcade Civic.

By the way did you find out the opening hours for that cobbler in Fyshwick tried ringing again but no answer.

Oh yes I did sorry, says 9-5.30 on the door but he said he is there until 5 usually, it is just him though so maybe if he is busy with a client it may have rung out. Don't think they are open on the weekends.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pharmaboy
Any advice or comments greatly appreciated

In terms of quality, the Oxxford suit would be in front. Caruso would be slightly better than Canali, with the Polo Bradford last (but still good value for that price).

As to what fits you the best, that's anyone's guess.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
In terms of quality, the Oxxford suit would be in front. Caruso would be slightly better than Canali, with the Polo Bradford last (but still good value for that price).

They also seem to have different pants (double pleated vs flat fronts) which is a key consideration.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score
Again, it depends on the model. There are currently three blocks. The city, trend...and I forget the last one. If you look on the tag it will have a code along the lines of V3KAA03 and V21236 for model and block number. Those are from my 3-piece city suit which is quite a classic cut (strong shoulders, minimal waist suppression) What does the code on your new casual cotton suit say? That is a very slim cut. Ask Alessandro next time you see him to explain the differences in the different blocks and how to spot them on the tags. You are correct though...some Versaces are very slim...almost sculpted (I think some are a drop 8).
Here's the tag off the one I actually bought a couple of weeks ago - I'd be interested to see if you know what it means.
IMG_0802.jpg
I believe its the middle style (block?) because my cyclist thighs almost burst the thinnest style pants
laugh.gif

pharmaboy

Reaction score

thx PG for your input - I'll have to take the chance on a fit - the best quality local suit I can find is a Rembrandt -so local trying on is out - my 19" shoulder suits fit dead on for width - nd i'm yet to try a 42l that doesnt seem to fit - well to my and the salespersons eye anyway ;D

So, if thats the quality equation - how about the style one?
wink.gif

Gassyndrome - yep - I havent been able to make a decision on what I prefer or why - other than not considering a suit I found with 4 pleats! (excess is only obvious when you see it)

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gassyndrome
Here's the tag off the one I actually bought a couple of weeks ago - I'd be interested to see if you know what it means.

IMG_0802.jpg

I believe its the middle style (block?) because my cyclist thighs almost burst the thinnest style pants
laugh.gif

I don't know enough yet to decode it enough The 'V2' prefix means a 2-piece (whereas my V3 denotes a 3-piece). I'm not sure which part denotes the city/trend/other model.

It's interesting that you say there isn't much room in the trouser. I have cyclist thighs but found the trouser cut in my Versace quite generous and it needed no alteration of the inseam or seat at all. I guess could also be related to the mode..

kickstart

Reaction score
So guys...what kind of knots do you tie in your ties?

Four-in-Hand
Half-windsor
Windsor

Apologies if this has been covered!

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ replace windsor with double four in hand and you've got every knot you'll ever need.

kickstart

Reaction score
Thanks!

Going back to work tomorrow for the first time in 2 years...was just practicing my knots.

ColonialBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click here
So where do you guys buy basic white tees?

Russell Athletic from Amazon - quality thick cotton in numerous colours. Has a pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads