• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Washington, DC sales

DuncanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
Does anyone know when Filene's Basement will open at Tyson's Corner, by any chance?

The sign in the window says it will open 4/5.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's going to be a madhouse on opening day.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, kabert. I went to both the Connecticut Avenue and Mazza Gallerie locations last night. As expected, the selection at Connecticut Avenue is much better -- there were several racks of shirts, sweaters, jackets, and pants. For shirts, mostly Barney's label, but I saw some Battistoni, Etro, and one Kiton (size 17). For sweaters, mostly Co-op label, but I spotted a few Malos and Colombos as well. For jackets, a mixture of lower end (Barney's label, Hugo, Michael Kors, Hickey Freeman) and interesting designer and higher-end pieces (Turist, Jil Sander, Dries Van Noten, Martin Margiela, Issey Miyake, Bogioli). I didn't take a close look at the pants and there were no shoes.

It's probably worth a visit.

bryce330

Reaction score
It is across from Tyson's Corner Center on Leesburg Pike, in the space where Best Buy used to be (there is also a Borders in the building).

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
It is across from Tyson's Corner Center on Leesburg Pike, in the space where Best Buy used to be (there is also a Borders in the building).

There's a Marshall's there too? That's going to cut into their business, I would assume.

bryce330

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
There's a Marshall's there too? That's going to cut into their business, I would assume.

Not necessarily - it may make it more of a bargain shopping destination since people will be able to visit both stores. I can think of several strip malls that have both a TJ Maxx and a Marshall's. Also, the FB in Friendship Heights is in very close proximity to both a TJ Maxx and a Loehmann's.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Thank you for the information about the Tyson's location. I wonder whether the stocked goods will equal those at Conn Ave...

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody going this Thursday to the opening? I'll be there!

DuncanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Anybody going this Thursday to the opening? I'll be there!

I'll be there at some point in the day...not sure when.

DuncanM

Reaction score
I stopped by at about 4:00 yesterday for 10 minutes on the way home. The store is big, clean and bright. It is laid out a lot like the FB at the National Press building. The suits and sport coats are mostly on racks and they have some suits on the walls. They had the usual suspects there (Aboud, HF(lots), Lauren....). They had a few racks of Travelers and some Southwick around. There is a rack of Oxxford in mostly long sizes with the new $1199 price point. I did see a few Belvest sport coats and a few Canalis as well.

I guess there can only be one Conn Ave store.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No grand-opening specials?
So the Oxxfords are no longer $999? That's not good...

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Conn. Ave FB generally the best? I know there is also the BB nearby and what else...

It's on my way home, but the National Press Building one is near my wife's work, and Mazza Gallery is a very short drive from home and has those others (which are much more expensive) like Saks and NM.

So I can get to any of them easily. If I'm only going to go to one is there a strong preference? Keep in mind that I wear at 46/48 Short.

cheers,
bob

DuncanM

Reaction score
The National Press one sucks. I have not been to Mazza but I have read here it is more dress shirt/casual clothing heavy. Conn Ave is very heavy in Suits, sport coats and pants. They seem to have a lot of ties too.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I hit the Conn Ave FB on Friday evening. Not a lot to report. Shirts were okay at best. They had a bunch of Robert Talbot, but nothing in my size in the two styles that caught my eye.

I was only looking at my size for suits and sports coats (46S/R) but did see a couple of absolutely beautiful Barbera suits that I would have killed for--but that costs as much as our kithcen cabinets. There seemed to be lots of Zegna around.

I ended up buying a <mumble mumble brand name> suit for $160 after the additional 10% off the red tag. It's a lovely grey plaid (prince of wales-ish, not sure if it actually is). And it's actually a Short so it won't require the massive amount of tailoring that a Reg would. I also found a great rain hat.

Oh yes, I looked for trousers too, but found nothing in my size (42) that wasn't black.

Not much else to report there.

bob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads