• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ezlau
Frog so what car did you end up buying? or leasing?

bought this mystic blue, 6spd zhp for 16k at the dealership. 58k miles
smile.gif

Photo%20Jul%2001%2C%207%2004%2031%20PM.jpeg

ezlau

Reaction score
Looks clean, congrats! By the way, as you might have learned, BMWs generally have bad cooling system. They are supposed to be refreshed every 50-70k miles, but dont take that number too closely. Sometimes it is even 30k miles. As for e46 cooling system, if you DIY it and overhaul the whole thing, it will probably come close to $700-$1000 using OEM stuffs. You should checkout bimmerforums or something, they usually have a list sites you can get Part A,B,C for the cheapest price etc. I frequent m3forum.net and they have a list like that and the savings you can get is sometimes unbelievable.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks clean, congrats! By the way, as you might have learned, BMWs generally have bad cooling system. They are supposed to be refreshed every 50-70k miles, but dont take that number too closely. Sometimes it is even 30k miles. As for e46 cooling system, if you DIY it and overhaul the whole thing, it will probably come close to $700-$1000 using OEM stuffs. You should checkout bimmerforums or something, they usually have a list sites you can get Part A,B,C for the cheapest price etc. I frequent m3forum.net and they have a list like that and the savings you can get is sometimes unbelievable.

thanks! and yes, I've looked into cooling systems. I saw online vendors selling overhaul kits for around $300 bucks or so, so if I DIY, it wouldn't be too bad.

Unfortunately, I'm not mechanically inclined and I wouldn't trust myself to overhaul the system, so I'll probably end up paying an indie mechanic for labor.

if I'm driving and my cooling system goes bye bye, would the car do anything other than to raise the temperature gauge? what if I were to miss that?

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
My wife and I just had a not fun conversation that basically concluded with us agreeing that we would not have any children in the foreseeable future.

As a result I am now on my second beer.

Assuming you want kids, that completely sucks man. You have decisions to make. I wanted kids, had that discussion and hung out. Marriage is over but it's gotten late now for kids of my own. Thinking of looking for a girl with a kid or kids that need a dad. Is this a bad idea?

ezlau

Reaction score
Uh.. As far as I know, there are ALOT of bmw forum members in the east coast, and they are generally super friendly and willing to help you DIY for a six pack of beer or so. I know that for a fact that e36 m3's temperature needle is not supposed to go past the middle point, since it has some lag issues to it and usually a little past the middle temp means its already super super hot. I'd say watch your temp gauge closely, and check hoses for cracks/leak, radiator for cracks etc.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also have a 3-year warranty so I do have a lot of peace of mind already lol

ezlau

Reaction score
Does that warranty covers everything? Although I can understand your 'bit-by-mod-bug' case since I've been there, save some money for when big repair jobs needs to be done. I'm not so sure if the warranty covers everything, say if you blow a headgasket or something. But if it does then you're good to go
biggrin.gif
EDIT: Don't some warranty get voided if you mod the car even the slightest bit?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does that warranty covers everything? Although I can understand your 'bit-by-mod-bug' case since I've been there, save some money for when big repair jobs needs to be done. I'm not so sure if the warranty covers everything, say if you blow a headgasket or something. But if it does then you're good to go
biggrin.gif
EDIT: Don't some warranty get voided if you mod the car even the slightest bit?

Yeah, I was looking at the warranty booklet and that was the vibe I got..
plain.gif
I was only going to install some angel eyes and an intake, but I can easily see them saying that those two mods could be the root of any issue that may arise. FUUUUUU WAT2DO?! I mean I guess I can just install the intake and put the stock one back in in case something goes wrong.. but I can't really do that with angel eyes. This also means I'm going to have to hold off on the exhaust for three years. edit: put a window decal of my alma mater on my car's rear window.. and it's slightly crooked.
ffffuuuu.gif

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from three weeks in Europe, currently in JFK, and holy ****- America is disgustingly fat

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Assuming you want kids, that completely sucks man. You have decisions to make. I wanted kids, had that discussion and hung out. Marriage is over but it's gotten late now for kids of my own. Thinking of looking for a girl with a kid or kids that need a dad. Is this a bad idea?
I don't think it's really ever too late to have kids if you're a man and single/newly married - maybe 50-55+, maybe even 60 if you're just a damn cool dude... had a friend growing up whose dad was probably 60 to begin with, and the kid had two older siblings already in high school; as a result my friend didn't really get along much with his siblings when he was a teenager and his dad passed away while he was in college, but overall, I don't know if it was all that terrible for him growing up, he got a bit more freedom and enjoyed himself a bit because his parents were older and more chill. He now gets along famously with his siblings, lives with his brother in Huntington Beach and they just go out and have fun all the time. Their dad would've like that.
Uh.. As far as I know, there are ALOT of bmw forum members in the east coast, and they are generally super friendly and willing to help you DIY for a six pack of beer or so. I know that for a fact that e36 m3's temperature needle is not supposed to go past the middle point, since it has some lag issues to it and usually a little past the middle temp means its already super super hot. I'd say watch your temp gauge closely, and check hoses for cracks/leak, radiator for cracks etc.
my old 540i got so hot on long trips that I could've seared a steak on the hood. Woefully inadequate cooling on the old big-engined BMW's.
redface.gif
Car really never gave me any problems though.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Just got back from three years in Asia, and holy ****- America is disgustingly fat

FTFM

+horribly dressed
+lazy and rude
+incredibly scared of everything
+dumb and intolerant
+fanatically religious
+polluting the earth like we were closing up shop in the next 10 years

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JFK people are impolite, but less impolite than Londoners. Ireland is almost as friendly as Texas, and Madrid and Barcelona both had an Austiny feel. I've found both Asians and Europeans to be less tolerant of race than most Americans I know. The big issue for me is fatness.

The lack of religious fanaticism was nice.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
FTFM

+horribly dressed
+lazy and rude
+incredibly scared of everything
+dumb and intolerant
+fanatically religious
+polluting the earth like we were closing up shop in the next 10 years

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I was reading your posts on this over at Sufu last night. Got me feeling a bit down since it's so spot-on. Sometimes I think my problem isn't with the average person; it's with the average American person.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah... I'm just raggin and ragin though, I do this about everywhere I am at. I'm kind of missing Korea right now actually, even though when I'm there, it's also a huge shithole and beyond repair in my eyes.
redface.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads