• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US measurement system,i don't get it.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Seriously guys,it's very unconventional and pointless while as metric system is much more better
for example in US measurement system

1 inch =6/P \t
1 foot=12 in \t
1 yard =3 ft
1 mile= 5280 ft

in metric system

1 km = 1000m
1 m = 100cm
1cm = 10mm

much more conventional and easy than Imperial measurement system,why won't US change it?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old people, stubborn, etc. They tried to in the 70s IIRC. People hated it.

"My car gets 40 rods to the hog's head, and that's the way I likes it!"

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed
Seriously guys,it's very unconventional and pointless while as metric system is much more better

1 inch =6/P \t
1 foot=12 in \t
1 yard =3 ft
1 mile= 5280 ft

in metric system

1 km = 1000m
1 m = 100cm
1cm = 10mm

much more conventional and easy than Imperial measurement system,why won't US change it?

Why won't you respect our culture and values?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the metric system.

but I have no ******* clue as to instantly know what 86kilos weighs, or 200kilometers is how far.

The only stuff I really have a grasp on is temperature in Celsius (but only body temperature ranges) and Millimeters and liters. This is just because of medical measurements that I've been forced to learn over the years.

sure I can do the quick approximate conversion but it still cumbersome and prone to error.

I know what 50lbs feels like instantly... I know how far 5miles is instantly... I know that my car has a 16gallon tank... but to figure that **** out in metric... I'm lazy and clueless...

I'm sure 280,000,000 other americans are kinda in the same boat.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing that would be better than switching to the metric system would be if we could switch to a base 8 or base 12 numbering system and then use the equivalent of the metric system. Base 10 sucks.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IsteRed

1 inch =6/P \t
1 foot=12 in \t
1 yard =3 ft
1 mile= 5280 ft

in metric system

1 km = 1000m
1 m = 100cm
1cm = 10mm

laugh.gif

WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE POINT THIS OUT SOONER!?!?

Seriously, though, medicine, most of the sciences, and the like use the metric system here. Generally speaking, however, Imperial measures are pretty entrenched, and people don't like change.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
laugh.gif

this
lol8[1].gif

much love iste
wink.gif

ma1

Reaction score
Yet another reason to make fun of stupid americans. Liberia, myanmar and the united states are the only countries in the world that haven't converted to the metric system. What a stupid ******* country hahaha.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ma1
Yet another reason to make fun of stupid americans. Liberia, myanmar and the united states are the only countries in the world that haven't converted to the metric system. What a stupid ******* country hahaha.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same reason why most Americans don't like watching soccer. We got our own thing going already.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ma1

do you realize the amount of jobs having two system creates? its why amerika is number one *****!

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick equivalence I came up with:
200px-Us-passport.jpg
> *

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
laugh.gif

Seriously, though, medicine, most of the sciences, and the like use the metric system here. Generally speaking, however, Imperial measures are pretty entrenched, and people don't like change.

I wanted to make a point,not just say "imperial system sucks,metric FTW"

Originally Posted by in stitches
much love iste
wink.gif

uhoh.gif

Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Obvious troll is obvious.

Such an American answer.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
Same reason why most Americans don't like watching soccer. We got our own thing going already.

No offense but i don't get your games,i don't watch football(soccer) as well,but baseball,football is just...i don't get what's going on there,srsly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads