• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Early 90s "Saved by the Bell" graphics

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always associate it with Cali/Miami beach culture, which was really big in the 80s and early 90s.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great thread, super nostalgic for me, even though I was barely starting elementary school when this style was at its peak.

inq89

Reaction score
Wow didn't really think about that before but its true, every one of those loud, colorful graphics are synonymous to the 1990s to me (90s kid here). I remember a field trip to a nature museum in the 3rd or 4th grade and they had those kinds of graphics all over the wall along with human anatomy pictures.

Funny how each decade had its own styling. What kinds of aesthetics does the 2000s have? Ipod-like designs and vintage tees?

Seanallen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
FTFY.

PatrickNagel.jpg

Anyone know the name of this style or artist?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that this style of design really represented the tail end of the '80s aesthetic. The '80s essentially lasted until "Smells Like Teen Spirit" climbed the charts in early 1992.

Another hackneyed visual motif of the era was text set over broad, multicolored chalk marks.

Also, lest we forget:

Swatch%20Watch%20Flumotions.JPG

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I agree that this style of design really represented the tail end of the '80s aesthetic. The '80s essentially lasted until "Smells Like Teen Spirit" climbed the charts in early 1992.

Another hackneyed visual motif of the era was text set over broad, multicolored chalk marks.

Also, lest we forget:

Swatch%20Watch%20Flumotions.JPG

I guess I'm not uniquely insightfull when I say the eighties culminated in the early nineties.
frown.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
I guess I'm not uniquely insightfull when I say the eighties culminated in the early nineties.
frown.gif

This is an interesting subject. Do you think that perhaps this period actually didn't begin in 1980, but more like mid-80s?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
This is an interesting subject. Do you think that perhaps this period actually didn't begin in 1980, but more like mid-80s?

Just in terms of graphic design or in terms of the overall gestalt of eighties-ness? I think what we've seen in this thread is the culmination of the whole idea of 80s-cool that was fully-formed by 1983 at the very latest. We might even be able to identify some elements of nascent eightiesness in the last years of the '70s:

51BFQSV24KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It started with the cool, sleek, Europeanized surfaces of New Wave and absorbed elements from Miami style and skater culture- as well as Africanized modern-primitve influences- along the way, but the elements were always there-- solid colors, geometric forms, kooky typography, etc.

It ended very abruptly:

Mid-1991:

12-icedance-600x360.jpg

Early 1992:

d371d2bd-b3b9-4024-8c8c-995f5cf8a480.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Just in terms of graphic design or in terms of the overall gestalt of eighties-ness? I think what we've seen in this thread is the culmination of the whole idea of 80s-cool that was fully-formed by 1983 at the very latest.
The graphic design. Some of the examples posted by our more knowledgeable members show that it originated in the late 70s but I think it took many years before it spread out to popular culture, which is the year I'm trying to pin down here. Also, I think Zubaz pants fit in with this look. Company started in 1988, bankrupt by 1996.
Zubazbang2008.jpg

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf is going on in the picture on the bottom right???

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Southwestern Native American design had a large influence on this type of font and graphics, no? I remember the "pueblo" colors of turquoise, coral, etc and the zig-zag patterns were very popular in the late 80s.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might want to check out henrik vibskov's work. His clothing collections have always had a "saved by the bell" vibe to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads