• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
^^^ And be dressed in Canali for free!

\t
cry.gif

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Member sighting: today, 3pm, foyer of 121 Exhibition St Melbourne. Beard, wearing a classic navy suit and walnut brogues combo. Looking good -- well done sir!

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys this is a long shot but does anyone here know of a company on the east coast that makes MTM or bespoke glasses? I generally wear glasses 5 days a week and contacts on the weekends and honestly get my frames from Specsavers usually on the 2 for 200 deals they have (dodgy I know).

The ones I have (about 8 pairs now) all look great and the lenses are good too, they just fit like **** regardless of the adjustments I've had made. I must have a funny shape nose because I'm constantly pushing them up.

Anyway, I'd be happy to pay 500-600 dollars for a pair of custom ones (frames only) and chuck the rest in the bin.

Cheers

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
It's not free. It's just cheap.

I thought samples are free so Azzaro can promote them to the retailers.

__PG__

Reaction score
But samples still cost money to make. Canali won't give them away. They'll sell them at their factory store or their showrooms.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just thought that they offer free samples to trusted distributors as they will show them to retailers, which in turn purchase shipments based on said samples - very miniscule cost Canali takes for sales.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Guys this is a long shot but does anyone here know of a company on the east coast that makes MTM or bespoke glasses? I generally wear glasses 5 days a week and contacts on the weekends and honestly get my frames from Specsavers usually on the 2 for 200 deals they have (dodgy I know).

The ones I have (about 8 pairs now) all look great and the lenses are good too, they just fit like **** regardless of the adjustments I've had made. I must have a funny shape nose because I'm constantly pushing them up.

Anyway, I'd be happy to pay 500-600 dollars for a pair of custom ones (frames only) and chuck the rest in the bin.

Cheers

There was a optometrist in Adelaide who made bespoke specks have heard mixed reports about him though, at one stage George Miller used to get his glasses off him. I'll see if I can dig his details out have them written down somewhere.

The other choice is George Skoufis in Paddington great selection of specs much better than what you would find in Canberra, highly recommended, excellent optometrist, used to go to him for years then moved rural just got reacquainted with him last year and will not be going anywhere else in the future.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers

Frames aren't all that hard to fit properly.

A good optometrist will fit you with glasses properly - theres a lot of variables. Not to mention the bit about what sort of specs suit you and your face.

Sadly the story with glasses is an exaggerated repeat of other retail items in Oz.

Almost all, and I mean even those marked Made In Italy designer ones, are made in a few factories in China.

The average frame is mostly just plastic.

Markups in Oz are around 1,000%. And the market is dominated by international giant Luxottica, which owns OPSM, Sunglass Hut and a whole bunch of other big brands you wouldn't guess.

As an example just look at what you can get online from USA and prices. We go to Taiwan a bit and Ms fxh always gets two pair of script fashion glasses, different latest frames, plus lenses, for $80 aud for the two pairs - 24 hours from exam/ script - choose frames to collect. (I don't get them because my face and huge nose is distinctly non asian size. Taiwanese name for Caucasian is "********".)

I have about 8 pairs - mostly bi-focals but some readers only. My latest glasses are from Shuron - makers of Malcom X's original black /silver Ronsirs - they also have the hipsters fav Buddy Holly styles. I have Shuron Revelation Tortoise shell with "Relaxo" temples plus clip on sunnies and some Ronsir original Malcolm X style blacks..

Here - if you can find them they will be around $400 for frames - online they are $75 - $90.

I use Optometrist Attic - Vick is a great helpful bloke who will answer all your idiot questions quickly and honestly.

http://optometristattic.com/

Others use Shuron's own site directly and I hear good reports about them.

You can measure yourself (theres temple length, style and bridge width and depth and lense width and depth etc ) but you'll get more benefit and advice from using an Optometrist.

Don't go to a conservative business dress mob of salespeople or a bunch of fashion hipsters and unless you have an asian nose don't go to an asian optometrists shop with all the cute girls. Go to some older person in the suburbs who will examine your eyes for disease - free on Medicare - yes its important you don't go blind through disease (a mate of mine went blind at 21 glaucoma) - and who will give you a bit of advice about shapes for your face.

Shop around and ask if they mind you ordering frames online and if they'll fit scripts to frames.

Get them to measure you up so you can specify online.

Be nice be friendly and you'll find most old school Optometrists really appreciate Shuron frames and workmanship.

Shuron isn't the only place for frames at all. I just think they are solid and reliable.

I wear them confidently and sneer at the Thornbury hipsters.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of hangers I picked up some trouser hangers from Coles $3 for a pack of 2. ps you want candy this is the place http://www.operaopera.net/

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys this is a long shot but does anyone here know of a company on the east coast that makes MTM or bespoke glasses? I generally wear glasses 5 days a week and contacts on the weekends and honestly get my frames from Specsavers usually on the 2 for 200 deals they have (dodgy I know). The ones I have (about 8 pairs now) all look great and the lenses are good too, they just fit like **** regardless of the adjustments I've had made. I must have a funny shape nose because I'm constantly pushing them up. Anyway, I'd be happy to pay 500-600 dollars for a pair of custom ones (frames only) and chuck the rest in the bin. Cheers
As FXH says, you probably don't need bespoke frames, you just need to find someone to fit your glasses properly. Unfortunately, most of the actual stores run by optometrists have disappeared now, to be replaced by chain stores like OPSM that exist more to sell overpriced, brand-name glasses instead of actually providing optometrical services - they'll bulk bill a 15-minute appointment with an optometrist who is straight out of uni, and then charge you $400 or more for glasses and frames. Well done on going to Specsavers, I say. I go to the Japanese equivalent whenever I'm in Tokyo and pay about $80 for frames + lenses. I'd far rather do that than pay a salesperson $400 of my hard-earned for a few pieces of plastic made in China. Anyway, any decent optometrist's store will be able to adjust your glasses so that they fit you better by tweaking the arms and the nose pieces. It will probably be easier to do if you have adjustable nose pieces but even the fixed plastic nosepieces can be adjusted a little bit if they are warmed, I believe.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
but even the fixed plastic nosepieces can be adjusted a little bit if they are warmed, I believe.

I probably didn't make it clear but frames here are sold as if one size bridge width and depth and lense width and depth and temple length - will fit all and its deemed to be your fault if it doesn't. However in he rest of the world that isn't so.

All dimensions are infinitely variable and in effect custom made for your face /nose width / nose height measurements*.

BTW the flexi cable things are great for not slipping.

edit:: Its also important to note that that the $9.95 magnifying reader glasses at the chemist etc are fine if they work for you - they will not do your eyes any harm at all. If both eyes are the same and you only need readers then they are OK.

* A crude example that is similar is how in Oz jacket and pants sizes are only ever in even sizes - 32- 34 - 36 -38 elsewhere there are odds too 32-33-34-35-36-37 - even in Levis - not to mention inseams. And lets not talk about shirt sizes necks and sleeves.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bow to fxh's experience here. My own favourite optometrist in Melbourne is iSpex in Johnston St Collingwood. They say they do custom-made, although I've only ever bought OTR there. I do really like their range, which includes some Australian designers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads