• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Working as a private chef

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
an enormous strap-on and whips, once the dishes are done

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go for it. As you said, you don't want to be a chef your whole life but cooking for someone who seems like they would be well connected could be a great asset for whatever you do in the future.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What DO you do MM?
It's a good question. I will let you know when I find out for sure.
Originally Posted by foodguy
it's a totally different ballgame than a restaurant job. remember that you'll be an employee and you're job will not be to cook what you think is delicious food, but to make her ideas delicious. and people who can afford private chefs tend to be a bit demanding.
Yes, I've considered this. She seems to be willing to allow me to have creative control, she just told me what she does and does not eat. The point though is that, to me, this won't be like work--at least I hope it won't--because it's doing something I genuinely love to do.
Originally Posted by nmprisons
This is unlikely to be the first time she has had live-in staff. She realizes that this would be a very big commitment for you and so, just as she will no doubt check your references before giving you a key, you should just let her know that you are interested, but want to make sure it will be a good situation for you. You might also consider using the google to see if you can find out who has worked for her in the past. Might be surprised what you dig up.
Yes. I have Googled her. The problem is she has a very generic name, and it's hard to search through all the results to actually find her.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mgm9128
The point though is that, to me, this won't be like work--at least I hope it won't--because it's doing something I genuinely love to do.

anything, ANYTHING you're getting paid to do on demand becomes work. and this is coming from a guy who has been a music critic and a restaurant critic.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ojfc

Also, it is an awful job, from what I know.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How can I ascertain this in a graceful way?

I keep some photos of the food I make on my phone, always thinking it may come in handy one day. We also had very good chemistry, and both share similar backgrounds, so working for her would be very pleasant, in my estimation.

If she wants me to cook for her to test my food, I'd be more than happy to oblige.

Exactly how does a 19 or 20 year old kid "share similar backgrounds" with a widow in her 60s that lives on the 30th floor on Madison avenue and has a place big enough to have a private chef live?

My advice is to take the job, sleep with her, then sue in some messy cougar/employee harassment type suit.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point though is that, to me, this won't be like work--at least I hope it won't--because it's doing something I genuinely love to do.

I've always felt that taking a hobby like cooking that relaxes me and makes me happy and turning it into a job with its own pressures and stress would ruin what I like about it. This live-in chef is a bit different than a restaurant position where you're churning out hundreds of someone else's recipes each night, but I imagine you will lose some of the joy you find in cooking when it becomes a job.

What do I know though - I've never cooked professionally.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
My advice is to take the job, sleep with her, then sue in some messy cougar/employee harassment type suit.

Sounds like a plan.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
ojfc

Also, it is an awful job, from what I know.

From personal experience, or friends of yours?

Originally Posted by KJT
I've always felt that taking a hobby like cooking that relaxes me and makes me happy and turning it into a job with its own pressures and stress would ruin what I like about it. This live-in chef is a bit different than a restaurant position where you're churning out hundreds of someone else's recipes each night, but I imagine you will lose some of the joy you find in cooking when it becomes a job.

Cooking is my therapy. And I feel exactly how you do about possibly losing that essence once you pursue it as a career. Just, this seems like I'll still be able to be at ease, and will still enjoy myself, all while making some money, meeting new people, and living in my favorite part of the city.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From personal experience, or friends of yours?

Mainly from seeing how ****** the job is having known friends and family to employ them.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mainly from seeing how ****** the job is having known friends and family to employ them.
So, are you saying I shouldn't do it?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, are you saying I shouldn't do it?
I'm not saying anything. Frankly, and not to be harsh, but I don't know why she would want you as her private chef, and I would not be interested in being a live in servant.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not saying anything. Frankly, and not to be harsh, but I don't know why she would want you as her private chef, and I would not be interested in being a live in servant.

Fact is this lady does want him...

I saw do it, what do you have to lose? If you don't like it, you could always quit and steal some antiques on the way out.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because you don't think I'm a very good cook? Or, because I don't have experience as one and haven't been classically trained? Or, because you just don't like me? Or, all three?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads