• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear this jacket with these pants?

Mr.P

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
You need a few things: 1. A white shirt. Get a few of these that fit you well. 2. Some basic solid and pin dot ties. 3. A good pair of black cap-toe shoes. That would be the minimum to repair this outfit.
+1 For reference, your next three purchases must look exactly like the items below. Note the shape of the shirt collar as well. No contrast (or otherwise funky) stitching.
churchsblackoxfords.gif
navy-smalldot-ptrg45.jpg
EtonDoubleCuffWhiteHerringbone250.jpg

Kamapuaa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
I've had 3 suits total, and they are all tight at the shoulder, and super baggy everywhere else.

Every shirt I have is loose around the neck, and very tight at the shoulders. I'm 6'2" / 185, so I think I probably end up buying stuff that is too big because I want it long enough to tuck into my pants. (And the tight shoulder thing).

Maybe you aren't used to clothes that fit your shoulders properly? When everybody said the suit jacket was too large, that's due to how it fit your shoulders - it looks like it's too wide there.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
you have the same amount of shirts as you do posts...

Vox, too.
tongue.gif

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
The belt sounds fine. The one pictured would be even better if it read "BALLER."

Isn't that BAWLER? I've seen that spelled so many different ways!

Mark Stone

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The interview went pretty well. We'll know just how well next week. I settled on the blue shirt, grey suit combo. I felt okay, but I really don't like how it fits. I'm not sure how it is supposed to fit. I remember when I was trying it on at the store, I could not move my arms forward or upwards. It felt like I was wearing a straitjacket. (I'm probably exagerating). The salesman got me this one instead, which apparently was one size up. So I dunno, how is it supposed to feel?

I forgot to take a pic when I got home, but I had taken a crappy pic before I left for the interview.

Photo11-06-3024608PM.jpg

I'm glad I found this forum, I'm excited about looking for new stuff now that I have somewhere to get an honest opinion. I've been drooling over round-toe shoes on the internet since yesterday. haha!

Hope to be posting again soon!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To asnwer your questions, I will sadly say all no. Dark shirt with grey suit jacket looks bad, dark shirt should not be worn in formal meetings. Grey jacket with black pinstripe trouser is not a good combo, at least it should be the other way round, but I would wear a full suit since they are made for suiting, not blazers, both things often use different material which people can spot the difference easily (at least in my place). Tie knot needs a bit of work, and the tie itself just looks horrible.

I guess for a ICT related job, suit is only for an interview, I will spend a good amount of money and tailor all the suit you currently owned.

Spend your money in two pairs of dress shoe (rounded toe, slim looking), more on MTM shirts (probably best for your build), may be 2 belts which matches with the shoes you get....that should be more suitable for the work environment

And I agree with the other members, please dispose your shoe and tie collection, they are very bad. Also once you get some new clothing gradually remove your old collection.

The orange shirt sounds pretty bad, unless they are in a perfect fit otherwise I will throw them away with your shoes

Mr.P

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm not sure how it is supposed to fit.
First of all, I recommend looking through the What Are You Wearing Right Now page. There are useful examples of how suits are supposed to fit there. Below is an example of the "loosest" fit that is acceptable. Holdfast is another good example of this.
IMGP0777462x1280.jpg

Below is an example of a more closely fitted style. Any slimmer than this would not work.
c214aa2b.jpg

Ideally, I would aim for something in between, such as this exceptionally well balanced silhouette:
i-vWNJQcZ-XL.png

Bear in mind that these are broad guidelines written in very general terms. There is no rule.
I remember when I was trying it on at the store, I could not move my arms forward or upwards.
This is because many ready to wear suits, especially cheaper ones, have their armholes (the holes where the sleeve meets she shoulder) cut really low. The higher they are, the less restrictive their movement. I would recommend saving up for your next suit purchase, going to a higher-end department store, and trying things on to see what fits. The most important part, as anyone here will tell you, is the fit of the shoulders. The shoulders of the jacket must not stick out beyond your shoulder line. Everything else, within limits of course, can be corrected. BUT remember this.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when I was trying it on at the store, I could not move my arms forward or upwards. It felt like I was wearing a straitjacket. (I'm probably exagerating). The salesman got me this one instead, which apparently was one size up. So I dunno, how is it supposed to feel?

As mentioned above, lower (larger) arm-holes can actually restrict movement because raising your arm pulls up the entire side of the jacket instead of just pivoting with your arm. The jacket in the image you've posted looks way too big.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I recommended your blue shirt with the grey suit, I assumed it was lighter. For the most part, dark shirts do not work with suits.

Mark Stone

Reaction score
Thanks for those examples and for all the advice! Mr. P, I can only see the 2nd and 3rd images in your first examples. (tie and white shirt). What is the missing pic?

I thought I'd update you guys: I got the job! Starting Monday and the dress code is business casual. I'm thinking of spoiling myself with a nice pair of shoes and a basic "starter kit" for pants and shirt. Not entirely sure what business casual is, 'cause the examples I see in google images are very boring. I hope there is a way to spice it up. I will have to spend some more time on here!

Thanks again guys!

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I think the jacket and pants work well but not the tie so much. I would do the black and magenta stripe tie or the diamond pattern black and blue tie or the solid black would also go well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads