• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Comic Book Thread

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd I/O,

I think that Uncanny X-Force has been amazing recently.

If you're just looking to get back into the scene, try looking at some the older collections of Astonishing X-Men with Whedon and Cassidy. The art and storylines were fantastic.

Also, Invincible and The Walking Dead have been fantastic comics from Robert Kirkman. It looks like they're both spinning their wheels right now, but again -- check out some of the collections.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Odd I/O, I think that Uncanny X-Force has been amazing recently. If you're just looking to get back into the scene, try looking at some the older collections of Astonishing X-Men with Whedon and Cassidy. The art and storylines were fantastic. Also, Invincible and The Walking Dead have been fantastic comics from Robert Kirkman. It looks like they're both spinning their wheels right now, but again -- check out some of the collections.
+1 to all that.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivwri
There are a few gems here and there although I generally tend to chase up older releases I never got around to reading.

You checked out Batwoman (with JH Williams III on art duties), Grant Morrison's run on Batman & Robin (art on sone of the arcs was so-so, but some real talent in there as well), All-Star Superman?

Read these (especially all star superman)

+ Ed Brubaker's Captain America
Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man (Humans are not that great, but the armor/tech is really well done)

but my personal favorite...
THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I gave up on Brubaker's Captain American after that whole "Death of Captain America" thing.

Iron Fist hasn't been around for a while, right?

Fraction's a good writer but he's wasted on Thor. Seriously, Thor sucks.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Iron Fist has been out of commission for a while. From what I heard, the first 12 issues of his relaunch a few years ago was fantastic. After that, it started losing steam, but was decent nonetheless.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah just read the first 12 issues of immortal iron fist. I have the omnibus of it and it's awesome.

Read through the winter soldier storylines, and the death, fallout, and return of captain america storylines (issues 1-43 of volume 5 + captain America reborn) it's great as long as Steve Engleheart is illustrating it (the issues he doesn't do are the weakest both story and art-wise).

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, Iron Fist has been out of commission for a while. From what I heard, the first 12 issues of his relaunch a few years ago was fantastic. After that, it started losing steam, but was decent nonetheless.
Yeah, it was excellent. Highly recommended. The only things I'm keeping up with now are Fables, The X-Men books (not the new X-men though), Invincible, Walking Dead, and a few others. I've pretty much given up on all the Marvell books. I have no idea what's going with Spider-Man. Fear Itself is awful. DC is pretty much out of the picture as well, although I've downloaded all of the Green Lantern War of the Lanterns. I have yet to read them though. Blackest Night sucked. Never bothered with Brightest Day.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't had much time recently to read comics, but I keep up with the Uncanny X-Force. As others have said, it's great, it's the right blend of adult themes and adventure.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're just looking to get back into the scene, try looking at some the older collections of Astonishing X-Men with Whedon and Cassidy. The art and storylines were fantastic.
The first arc is (was?) on Netflix via motion comics, worth a look. Netflix also had IronMan Extremis, which was pretty awesome too. Anyone else like motion comics? I think DC was suppose to release the Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller in motion comics (or was it an animation movie?). I can't quite remember. I wish Netflix offers more in the future to get my comic book fix once in a while. I really liked when they did it to Watchmen novel.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Yeah, it was excellent. Highly recommended.

The only things I'm keeping up with now are Fables, The X-Men books (not the new X-men though), Invincible, Walking Dead, and a few others. I've pretty much given up on all the Marvell books. I have no idea what's going with Spider-Man. Fear Itself is awful. DC is pretty much out of the picture as well, although I've downloaded all of the Green Lantern War of the Lanterns. I have yet to read them though. Blackest Night sucked. Never bothered with Brightest Day.

New X-Men? I think that got cancelled a while ago. Do you mean Generation Hope?

Spider-Man is not doing terribly well right now. I was really digging him for a while, even the Brand New Day stuff, but I'm having trouble justifying the 3.99 every week. Fear Itself has been a huge letdown, I'm still trying to figure out how this has any lasting effect on the MU. It's probably worse that World War Hulk. I could tell Blackest Night was going to be awful, so I stayed away, but The Sinestro Corps War was amazing, both art and story.

Originally Posted by RFX45
The first arc is (was?) on Netflix via motion comics, worth a look. Netflix also had IronMan Extremis, which was pretty awesome too.

I'll have to check that out.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add to the general love for Immortal Iron Fist. Excellent stuff. It was Alex Maleev on art duties on that right? Been a while.

Does anyone know what's goin on with the whole DC reboot stuff? How is their Superman book going to be affected by the whole court case thing next year?

EDIT: anyone reading the latest Casanova by Fraction?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
New X-Men? I think that got cancelled a while ago. Do you mean Generation Hope? Spider-Man is not doing terribly well right now. I was really digging him for a while, even the Brand New Day stuff, but I'm having trouble justifying the 3.99 every week. Fear Itself has been a huge letdown, I'm still trying to figure out how this has any lasting effect on the MU. It's probably worse that World War Hulk. I could tell Blackest Night was going to be awful, so I stayed away, but The Sinestro Corps War was amazing, both art and story.
Its just called X-Men. Had a vampire story line going for a while there. I never even bothered. Don't you download your comics like the rest of us? Get with the program man!
Originally Posted by Ivwri
Just to add to the general love for Immortal Iron Fist. Excellent stuff. It was Alex Maleev on art duties on that right? Been a while. Does anyone know what's goin on with the whole DC reboot stuff? How is their Superman book going to be affected by the whole court case thing next year? EDIT: anyone reading the latest Casanova by Fraction?
I never read the original Casanova. Was it worthwhile? Something that I am reading that I forgot to mention - The Mice Templar. Great childrens style story with all adult themes.

Jangofett

Reaction score

Nah its more than 12 ishs. Its good of Fraction to redo the entire Iron Fist myth including making Danny being able to use his Iron Fist multiple times. I recall in the past, after using his Iron First once, he will become unconscious and in one of the Power Man & Iron Fist ish (I think number 50), he was killed as a result of being unconscious. Now, the Iron Fist can be projected as powerful bullets as well.

Its also nice to see there were tons of Iron Fists before Danny. And other Immortal Weapons as well.

Although there was this part about all Iron Fists dying before 35 (or is it 34?) but Danny is still alive. Too bad Danny is no longer a billionaire. I bet they will resurrect his father sooner or later because his dad was lost in a snowstorm.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I can recommend Casanova over anything else Matt Fraction has done to be honest. It IS highly pretentious, but it is also very good. Dense stuff that works on both a sequential narrative and meta-narrative level. The artwork by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon is also very awesome.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
With the movie out, I leafed through my old Green Lantern stock and stumbled on this series. It was one of DC's 80s reboots. Highly recommended.

1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads