• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The speedy, unfair but never vicious, Bowties-in-WAYWRN review thread

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Let's avoid the online tendency to call what might be better termed a "starting point" a "rule.".

Most guys posting up pics of themselves in bow ties are wearing them too wide. My suggestion is to try wearing them a bit narrower. If you don't like it, go back to the other way.

A little bit of experimentation with how to tie your ties is a useful, even slightly amusing, exercise.

In your case, there are a couple things going on. One of them is that the standardized proportions of your RTW jackets yield jackets that might fit your shoulders and back...but the chest is too small. The result? Bowed gorge.

A bowed gorge, among other things, makes for more shirt real estate all the way to the collar, which in turn, masks the detriments of a bow that is too wide.

You see the opposite effect going on often with Lufty's bows.

- B

Best feedback I've gotten on SF in a long time. Thanks.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most guys posting up pics of themselves in bow ties are wearing them too wide. My suggestion is to try wearing them a bit narrower. If you don't like it, go back to the other way.
That's interesting - always thought the 'guidelines' or 'recommendations' (call them whatever you want) were along the lines of between the eyes and the edge of the face, not between the eyes. This is something I have heard repeated many times, in print and on the interwebz.

I know that doesn't quite vest it with authority, but still.
eh.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
IMAGE_097.jpg

Enjoy!

That is a sad excuse for a Bow, SG. Give it a little width, at least.

Yay! 9.9/10.

Guess what the 0.1 is.

- B

Lack of dog **** under the shoe?

Mike

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's not get overly precise or determinative when it comes to "rules" for individual proportions. A classic example that is repeated far more often than anything about a bow tie: "To determine the correct hem length of your jacket, fold your fingers underneath the hem. It should not be longer or shorter than that." ORLY? That being said, it is my opinon that the guys sporting bows on SF are erring too wide too often. Again, since I suspect nearly everyone is wearing adjustable rather than sized bows, it is an easy enough experiment unless you've run out of winching space like Luftmeister due to pencil neck. - B
laugh.gif
Fair enough. My statements are coloured by the fact that I am currently in the market for a bowtie - my first bowtie. Like wine, watches, marriage - I want to get this right as soon as possible. Preferably the first time. Guidelines are really a godsend in situations like mine, a welcome piece of driftwood to those drowning in a sea of too damned many options. I suppose I will adapt your reply, and get an adjustable bowtie first to find my feet.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie: I like the pattern for summer, but guess what? Too wide.

Jacket: Not really a fan.

Hanky: I like it, but I would like to see much less of it.

- B

I agree on all three points, although it should be noted that I have a really tiny head.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hanky: I like it, but I would like to see much less of it.

I've been watching several old movies from the '40s and '50s recently that would leave you scandalized with the exuberance of the pocket foliage.

Speaking of old movies, I caught part of Divorce American Style for the first time last night and was hypnotized by the wardrobing. Was there ever a better period for men's clothes?

That's how men ought to dress, I tell you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads