• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ikouja
To me it just looks I guess almost dirty, or old. I was sure someone would like them. I prefer a very light tan, like a sand color which I've seen referred to as stone on here I believe. Brown is also a nice color for trousers too, I might have to buy JtG's Sta Prest is that color...
I am dirty and old!!
biggrin.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Elsewhere ,I have written about "Swearing at a Police Officer".This got me thinking about the relations I had with the Police,during my Skinhead Period.I know Lasttye has had run-ins with them,and I am pretty sure most of the others have come in contact with them.
On the whole,I would say our dealings with the Police were minimum-in the beginning.They knew about us and they knew our Names.When a Patrol Car(or on the Beat)came past,they would have a quick chat.If it was the weekend they would ask"Going to such and such Club tonight?", they knew there was not going to be any bother-if we went to a local one.One of the funniest incidents was when I missed the late night Bus,and I was walking home(had a few Jars).Whilst I was walking,minding my own business,a Squad Car pulled up and asked if I wanted a lift.I got in and when we got home ,he dropped me off.Unfortunately,my Mother was watching out of the Bedroom window(I saw the Curtain move).I got grounded for a month for bringing the Police to our door!
The only time a Copper got nasty was at Chelsea,when I got thrown out of the Shed(some of West Ham had got in,and were making themselves known).But even then a Sargeant pulled the Copper to one side,and let me go.
Later,there was a change at the top,of the local Nick and we became suspects in nearly everything that went on.Some we did,some we did not!
lookaround.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brownie there'll be a section of the book ironically called I fought the Law and the Law drew or some such. Anecdotes like this would be good.

Little Queenie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
We have a long way to go yet, Alex.

I intend to take two weeks off - I need a break.

One question before I go. Occasionally in this thread we have let the odd 'bluey' out, but usually we have rearranged the letters (e.g. 'fcuk') or inserted an asterisk. Believe me the few obscenities we have used have been really mild compared to my recollection of our language back in the day. This is 2011 and I believe that for the book we can safely restore the obscenities as they would normally be typed/said. What do you all think?

In the interests of authenticity, I think you should report language as it was used then. If anyone objects, you could tell them to stick to 'Women's Weekly' for their reading matter.....

sambarock

Reaction score
A question about shirts:

During the later period (suedehead) was any change on the shirt styles?

In the old photos I see a lot of bright plain colors (since is b&w pics I assume is not all white). Was that more commons than tartans?

For suiting shirts did the details vary more? Such as french cuffs, ridden buttons, etc...

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sambarock
A question about shirts:

During the later period (suedehead) was any change on the shirt styles?

In the old photos I see a lot of bright plain colors (since is b&w pics I assume is not all white). Was that more commons than tartans?

For suiting shirts did the details vary more? Such as french cuffs, ridden buttons, etc...

Late `70 the Shirt Styles started changing.BDs were left unbuttoned also.It became more casual looking.
Plains and Stripes were worn,the Checks had become too common- so alternatives were found. Shirts worn under Suits were mainly Buttoned.The French Cuff etc.,was more Mod.BD was the main Shirts worn with Suits.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its all gone quiet here.Everybody on their Holidays?
biggrin.gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Its all gone quiet here.Everybody on their Holidays?
biggrin.gif

ha, i doubt the british guys would be celebrating the 4th. just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth, when i first got into punk, i asked the "alpha skin" in my area what the difference between skins and punks is, and he told me this: "you know how punks often define themselves by what the fight against? well skins define themselves by what the fight FOR."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads