• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
blahman;4629385 said:
You can always wear the back blade at the front with your blue shirts.
laugh.gif

QUOTE]

biggrin.gif
Expert level sprezzatura

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
blahman : Why don't you like it? Re: ryanohare and Arthur Galan. I have no idea how he survives. I bought that shirt on sale for $100...RRP was $229!?!?!? Who spends that much money on poor-quality clothes?
In AG's defence, he used to have some good quality, well cut pieces, especially for casual or semi-casual wear. Compared to Politix it was chalk and cheese but the last few years the AG stuff has taken a big dive in quality at the same time as it's hiked up in price.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
The situation isn't that dire yet
laugh.gif
But who's to say that my future wife wouldn't just run away with the money to fund her Diors.
plain.gif
Anyway I'm over my remorse now after trying it on and having a look at it a bit more. Loving that tie. It is a very close knit that can pretty much get a way with looking like a textured weave so I can wear it in a half windsor. The bicolor knit makes the fabric sort of shimmer and the shade changes a bit depending on the angle. The contrasting threads allows it to be worn with both dark and light jackets. The solid woven back blade is neato! No keeper behind the tie so if the back blade does peek out, its not my fault :p. I think it's going to be very versatile.

Wait until you start earning really good money, then you worry about saving
smile.gif

You did very well with that tie BTW.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quarks
Dropped by Zegna at Melb twice in the past few days (thanks blahman! Saw your post & that triggered me to drop by). Great items for sale, especially the coats. Didnt pick up anything the first time, the second time, I went in because I was having restless night thinking of that bloody coat. I caved in and got it off the rack. 30% discount & still cost half a bomb. Oh well.

It was funny watching the sale assistants trying to get a customer to make a few purchases. The customer was trying on pants that were clearly too big for him. It went on somewhere along the lines of:-
One of them was like, 'Ohh it looks good on you!' - with that typical trying-make-desperate-sales kinda tone.
You could see the smirk on the man's face as he lifts his head up, looking towards the mirror to the sales lady behind him. It was BAD.
She continued, 'I'm not gonna lie (bleh....), you just have to take 3 cm off here and it will be perfect!'.
It was too much for me but I'm glad he didnt cave in on that pants. Way too baggy.
But he did walk away with other goodies.
Is this person one of us?

I just hate sales assistants like these. Most of the time, I would love to be left alone or have someone who is impartial to give a recommendation or two. Compliments to be given if genuine. If not, I smell a lie a mile away.

blahman: Wicked ties you have there. I had a look at the selection, and they look fantastic. I can't pull a trigger on any of them given what I have spent. But I would kill to get some of them. I sure hope I can sleep well in the next few nights. lol

Ahh yes... Zegna.

Spent too dang much on 'the Z' in the past six years. Beautiful stuff, but only ever worthwhile on sale. Be careful of their vaunted Su Misura MTM program though; a sales assistant/ manager taking measurements in lieu of a trained tailor is not conducive to eliciting good results.

And while I would love to buy their coats/ suits OTR (on sale natch); at 5'11, the jackets are just a tad too long for me.

Originally Posted by Selvaggio
Yep - matching ties would be too
facepalm.gif
- however nice the ties may be.

Are you wearing a white shirt? I sometimes think that ties with a lot of white in them look a bit wrong on a blue shirt - especially with this tie, because the white bits are at the front of the three dimensional weave. Although probably less of an issue with burgundy.

I also have the diagonal 'stripe' tie in the same series, pale blue and cream - but it is a different weave and it snags like crazy.

Originally Posted by blahman
You can always wear the back blade at the front with your blue shirts.
laugh.gif

I pretty much wear white 3 days a week. Today is white day again. Too lazy to go match shirt, tie jacket early in the morning.

Trying out Sam Hober for bespoke ties at the moment; just ordered some at about $75 a pop and awaiting delivery.

SF thread on Hober looks promising.

Will let y'all know the results.

Originally Posted by The Ernesto
God, we're a sad lot aren't we. I toss and turn over these issues as well!

That we are.
ffffuuuu.gif
foo.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

xiaoli

Reaction score
mj bale laneway sale this weekend
smile.gif
$2 sausage sizzle, all proceeds to Japanese disaster relief. Friday 1st July to Sunday 3rd July Open 10am–5pm Entry: laneway behind M.J. Bale store, 106 Queen Street, Woollahra

bigs

Reaction score
Hi I've been lurking SF for a while now and I was hoping if anyone could recommend any perth tailors for alterations? I've done a quick search and G&A Favazzo pops up a couple of times, are they the only ones worth knowing about?

I'd hate to ask a tired question but from my digging I've only really got a couple of old answers to my question. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A word of warning.

Phone call from bank this morning.

I have canceled my main CC.

There were some suspicious transactions in USA last night (online but it seems USA - may not be) at 5.45pm and 6.15 pm Oz time.

One was for Netflicks and some other place I didn't catch.

It seems as if Netflicks and this other one are the common ones used to check if card is working ok. I think they register with Netflicks but NO Transaction. This checks if card is working. The card is then sold or used.

These "registrations" do not show up on my (your) statement or online. They only show up to bank.

Now I have to wait a week for new card, new numbers, then go online and register for all the automatic payments I have and all the places where my card is registered for payment.If I can even remember them.

I use credit for almost all transactions - and pay it off each month with a sweep - - groceries, petrol, mobile, ISP, newspapers, etc I even pay my BPay bills online via CC.

Not all bad as I still have my other CC but I try to keep that mainly for business. Ms fxh's card does not seem to be compromised.

No one, including me, has any idea how the number was obtained. Me I suspect Taxis - I've used a few in the last month and used my card - I usually use cash when I, rarely, get Taxis. Being half cut at 2.30 am and using the card and pin in a dark taxi isn't great for security.

Nothing to say really, no advice to give.

Most online transactions are far more secure than giving the card to some tattooed, pierced waitress (with the requisite dodgy boyfriend) in a hip Smith Street cafe.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my card details swiped at a well known restaurant in Darling Harbour a while back. The reason I know is it was the first time I'd used my card since coming back to Oz for a few months, and the fraud occured in Melb.

I told the bank all this so I hope they nailed the pricks.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Bastards.

I had my card details swiped from an online Disneyland-offshoot store once (a couple years back). I hope they nailed the pricks too.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just about to commit to the #4 in wrist Appreciation.

Opinion - Railmaster, IWC, Meistersinger, other?

I know its a very subjective item

MickyD

Reaction score
which railmaster? my collection:
724700204_Ubpgi-S.jpg
724700115_hzPus-S.jpg
739425674_caLYp-S.jpg
1177108383_PKhCS-S.jpg
(PO is normally on the bracelet, I don't like the look of the rubber TBH...)

Selvaggio

Reaction score
I know nothing about watches, but I know what i like and I like all your watches....but the one that intrigues me is the square, blue-faced number. What is it?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ Tag Heuer Monaco - would like to acquire an original from the 70s one day myself.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re the idea of an Australian sub-forum in B&S.

I have made zero progress trying to get B&S to be more international-friendly and got my head roundly kicked last time I tried in the Suggestions forum.

But there may be a way around it, via the Fit is King site. FIK lets you dictate where you will ship to. If the FIK post says Australia, and the site mod will make that a search term, you could just go in there and dial up the Australian ads. Might be worth a try.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I have made zero progress trying to get B&S to be more international-friendly and got my head roundly kicked last time I tried in the Suggestions forum.

I didn't even know there was a suggestions forum!

Maybe if a thread on the idea is started, we can all chime in with support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads