• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage images, a blast from the past

JJGooden

Reaction score
Woodrow-Wilson-008.jpg
President Woodrow Wilson, 1916. Looks like a 4-button.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JJGooden
Woodrow-Wilson-008.jpg

President Woodrow Wilson, 1916. Looks like a 4-button.

Naahhh, I don't see a 4th button anywhere. Though that's a super high top button stance (and is it over a waistcoat too?).

More to the point, isn't it nice to see a baseball game where every gentleman in attendance is wearing a suit? Ahhh, the good old days.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
Naahhh, I don't see a 4th button anywhere. Though that's a super high top button stance (and is it over a waistcoat too?).

More to the point, isn't it nice to see a baseball game where every gentleman in attendance is wearing a suit? Ahhh, the good old days.

Yup, 3 button, before we imported that silly convention. And yes, he does have a waistcoat on. With slip too. Patch pockets are a nice little detail.

And on the men, lots of club collars. Interesting. Nice little moderate spread on the guy under the presidents right armpit too.

Kinda depresses me about the state of politician attire today. Now presidents have to look somewhat schlubby to appeal to the average midwestern dope who puts on a suit two sizes too large once every other year. They get the damn things custom tailored and go out of their way to have them look somewhat off. Shoes are scuffed to a precise degree...

Bleh. Back when people dressed well because there wasn't any other way, that wasn't an issue.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
^And this one too...

It was perfectly well accepted back in the day. Formal daywear too. The stigma is modern, and a reaction to nearly all obviously crappy DJs being made with notch lapels.

More interesting to me is the lack of pockets on that jacket. I guess it's taking the clean and plain line bit that requires leaving off the flaps a step further. Makes some sense in that regard, but I can't recall having seen it before.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
More interesting to me is the lack of pockets on that jacket. I guess it's taking the clean and plain line bit that requires leaving off the flaps a step further. Makes some sense in that regard, but I can't recall having seen it before.

Here's another view:

joegreen1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads