• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner attire, jacket required, need style advice

Rutger

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post to SF.

So I made reservations at Tru in Chicago to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. Dress code is "Jackets required, tie optional" Not sure how to wear/coordinate an outfit for this place as my dining experiences haven't called for more than jeans and a nice shirt in the past. What would you recommend?
puzzled.gif

I have this suit:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1. Would you use the jacket or pants from this?
2. What color pants or jacket would you pair it with?
3. Yes or no for a tie?

For dress shoes, I have a pair of black lace-ups and brown slip-ons, both are flat-toed, not sure if that is still in style...

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Welcome, OP.

Wear the whole suit. Put on a crisp white shirt. Polish the black shoes, wear black socks. Nice watch. Good to go.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
Welcome, OP.

Wear the whole suit. Put on a crisp white shirt. Polish the black shoes, wear black socks. Nice watch. Good to go.

That would work nicely. I might even go the extra step and put on a nice tie. Though you may want to find better shoes- the square toe is and always has been an abomination. It may have been in fashion for a while, but it has never looked good.

marg

Reaction score
suit looks good. wear with a crisp white shirt and pocket square. if you wear without a tie, make sure the collar stands up stiffly on its own. it not, it will flatten and look silly.

also, get better hangers - you're suits will last longer.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rutger
For dress shoes, I have a pair of black lace-ups and brown slip-ons, both are flat-toed, not sure if that is still in style...

If you mean square-toed, then no they're not in style, and havn't been for at least a decade (if they ever were).

What colour is the suit? It looks dark grey but it hard to tell for sure with the lighting...

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure u can get away with a nice pair of jeans, a sports jacket, dress shirt, and loafers. If you're not use to such things, that would be my advice. Seeing as It's "tie optional", the place is probably use to the literal minimum. If u want to go all out, the suit will work, as previously suggested. Don't forget the pocket square
biggrin.gif

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, do not use square toe shoes!!!
smile.gif

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome, OP. Wear the whole suit. Put on a crisp white shirt. Polish the black shoes, wear black socks. Nice watch. Good to go.
Doh! So very close! Socks match pants, not shoes. A proper iGent does not even own a pair of black socks, except for the silk ones he wears with his DJ and his patent leather oxfords.

Yachting Man

Reaction score
Welcome, OP.

Hit the nail on the head.

Maybe add a nice tie. You're girlfriend will really appreciate how much work you put into your attire for the night.

Also, if you have the money to spare, buy new dress shoes. Traditional styling.

ykurtz

Reaction score
Everyone is assuming that the pictured suit fits the OP. OP, please put the suit on with your intended white shirt, and we'll be able to give you better advice. I live in Chicago and go to TRU 3-4 times a year. That's not a jeans place. I would feel bad for anyone eating there with jeans on. If you can't dress up to go to TRU, you're a sartorial nihilist.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
unless wearing black shoes

Socks still match pants. That suit with black socks - only if you're over 70.

Rutger

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice, this helps a lot! Sounds like I'll be investing in a new pair of shoes...
laugh.gif

If I go with a tie, any general suggestions?

ykurtz: I'll take a pic with the suit and shirt on and post tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads