• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
OK, time to throw myself to the wolves. This is a baseline image; an example of what I am wearing to work today. I am only just now starting the process of collecting a real wardrobe, so additional images may be few and far between for a while.

I am also aware of some glaring problems here. First, the shirt is WAY too big. In my defense, I've lost nearly 50 lbs, and most of my clothes pre-date the weight loss (like the shirt) or were acquired during the process (the cargo pants). My belt is at it's tightest, and yet is not snug at all (I'm out of belt holes).

I'm mostly posting this to document how bad I look now. I've got three wool suits, some 100% cotton shirts (also too big), and a handful of silk ties; I may take a few staged photos with those to show what I've got to work with for now. Two of the suits are too big (I took them in about 30 lbs ago, which is a whole size below what I bought them at, but they need to be tailored again), and the third is from undergrad 12-15 years ago and now fits again (kinda - I can button the jacket and it doesn't fight back or cry out in agony). I'm not done re-shaping my body - at 6'2" and about 200 lbs, I've got some more fat to trim and muscle to add, but I'm moving into management at work (academic environment) and I can no longer afford to delay getting a "grown-up" wardrobe.

OK, enough pre-emptive begging for mercy. It's time to start the cutting. Nurse, scalpel please. (3 edits later and I've finally got the courage to hit "submit"!
ffffuuuu.gif
)

IMG_20110629_122823-edit.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Claymore
I'm glad this thread is still keeping things interesting...

In an effort to revive the meme of the picture Mr. Sartoria use for his Esquire entry; (maybe an image you should claim, Mr. Poker in your ongoing series of meme profile pictures?) Here is a little ensemble I wore for a recent fundraiser at the zoo. The invitation did read "safari chic". I hope this qualified...

i-d8P4fGR-L.png

A close-up of the accessories. If you look close you will be able to see the half belt and gathered back of the coat I wore underneath:

i-cmcs8D9-L.jpg

Chapeau: Authentic Pith
Cravat: Custom, Carrot and Gibbs
Shirt: Made to Measure, Hickey-Freeman
Suit: Made to Measure, Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes: Alden
Braces: Trafalgar
Hose: Pantherella
Crop: Antique
Watch Chain: Antique​

Bonus picture of a Polar Bear posterior:
i-svJZzSN-L.jpg

worship.gif

jqmunro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kevinsp8
Congrats on the weight loss. With that and getting your clothes spiffed up, you'll look like a new man. Just chuck those cargo pants and that shirt in the Goodwill bin, you won't be needing them anymore.

^what he said. Time to remeasure yourself and find clothes that fit the new you.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
Hermes suit and shirt
Brioni Tie
AE shoes
qhttX.jpg

CkLB7.jpg

Milo Minderbinder

Reaction score

I've been lurking for months, and this is the first post that's got me to actually comment. This is awesome. Everything about it. Admittedly, not for day to day wear, but I think you nailed 'Safari Chic' on the head!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
Some people seem to be really serious here.

meh

Jamesgatz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
qhttX.jpg

Perhaps it's the camera angle and you bowing your head, but I didn't recognize you at all from the first picture.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
Hermes suit and shirt
Brioni Tie
AE shoes

Did you seriously put your own quote in your sig?
facepalm.gif

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Did you seriously put your own quote in your sig?
facepalm.gif

He is all about challenging the conventions! As for the suit, it really needs some tailoring... and new shoes. Other than that, you look great in a more classical ensemble, PTW.
Pants need shortening to fit house style. Off to see '9 to 5' tonight.
waywt006-1.jpg
waywt005.jpg

This looks a bit comical on you, sorry. Are you a very popular guy who can set his own trends among his friends/peers and get away doing anything? Because if you're not, you'll just look weird wearing this. In general, you seem overdressed for most occasions, although I do like your suits and the way they fit you. Just saying, you might be taking this whole classical dress thing a little too seriously and close to heart. As for this latest fit, I think you need shorter and slimmer pants to make it work better, and even then it'll still look like you're going to a masquerade. (Disclaimer: purely personal opinion, don't pay too much attention)

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LJubel328
@Holdfast: Great look!
Thanks.
Originally Posted by AldenPyle
How long has it been like this?
I don't know what you're talking about; Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Is that seersucker OtR? Can I ask where you got it?
Yes, it's OTR, but a few years old now (maybe 4-5), and has had a bit of tailoring too. It's RL Polo.
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
DSCF7843.jpg

This is quite nice.
The invitation did read “safari chic”. I hope this qualified…
I'm sure it certainly did! You must be one of the few people to actually have the wardrobe to fulfil that dress code without needing to raid a costume shop...
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by MikeCharlieUniform
... I've lost nearly 50 lbs...
Congratulations. As you plan losing more weight, wait until you stabilise at a given shape for at least a few months before spending too much money on new stuff, and certainly before you think about ordering anything with a long delivery time; just keep buying fairly disposable stuff off the rack that fits fairly well. Enjoy being able to buy slimmer stuff than you could before!
Originally Posted by PTWilliams
You look so different without the moustache (you did used to have one, right?!). I think it's a serious improvement. But I hope you haven't lost your powers as a result of this hair removal.
waywt006-1.jpg

I like the grey waistcoat with this. Nice one; it reminds me a bit of the kinds of outfit you used to see shop assistants wear in old fashioned shops. It's a bit costumey that way, I suppose, but still fun.

Navi

Reaction score
Todays ensemble, complete with way too many pictures
laugh.gif

062911164426.jpg

2011-06-29_11-32-28_18.jpg
2011-06-29_11-26-28_114.jpg
062911164239.jpg
062911142157.jpg

this is what I wore on my way here... think it looks pretty good here but im not certain
062911143144.jpg

062911142933.jpg

dat shine son
2011-06-29_13-51-55_827.jpg

Apologies for the picture spam! Been a while since I did this.
laugh.gif

and kevinsp8, I finally understand why you keep telling that kid to keep his fedora. You look ridiculous, sorry.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jamesgatz
Perhaps it's the camera angle and you bowing your head, but I didn't recognize you at all from the first picture.

me too
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads