• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
^^^ It's pretty perfect for what it is, but if like me you don't like that sort of thing then you'll hate it. But at least Malle's made something worthy of love or hate, whereas most stuff just receives indifference.

Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Do you dislike tuberose in general, or do you just dislike this particular treatment of tuberose? I ask b/c it seems like anyone who likes tuberose is going to like Carnal Flower, and anyone who dislikes that note will dislike the scent. In other words, I think Carnal Flower is the ideal treatment of tuberose. But maybe I'm wrong about that. I'd be curious to hear other points of view.
Yeah, I generally don’t like tuberose. All I get is a garish tuberose.

It was through Carnal Flower and Chanel #19 that I figured out I really dislike Tuberose, and any sort of 'cold' or bitter florals. I like bulgarian rose (IIRC), ie sweeter fruitier sort of florals and the occasional white powdery one, but nothing indolic (ie true jasmine) or tuberose.

and I've smelled a good range of Iris's too and don't understand why everyone loves the note.

Iris Silver Mist? It’s certainly a mainstay in my arsenal.

Now: Black Orchid. Look out!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed

I like that one a lot, but I can only wear it in the late fall and winter. It's so heavy and doesn't work well at all in the hot, humid weather here in STL.

Rochas Femme vintage formulation for me today.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I like that one a lot, but I can only wear it in the late fall and winter. It's so heavy and doesn't work well at all in the hot, humid weather here in STL.

Rochas Femme vintage formulation for me today.

Yep. It's nice and cold here in Sydney. Today: SL Borneo.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bash!
Chanel Sycomore
That's good stuff. My favorite sample I snagged from the Swap Box. Today: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Reminds me of the 70s.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
That's good stuff. My favorite sample I snagged from the Swap Box.
Today: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Reminds me of the 70s.

That Sycomore is just magic right? One of my most recent purchases I'm really psyched about having.

Paco - I picked that up purely for nostalgia. My father aparently wore it when he met my mother around the 70's so it was sort of a fun experiment to wear it myself. Not really my kind of scent though but it makes me smile every time I wear it just for the imagined memories of my pop spritzing it on his hairy chest and going out to pick up the ladies
satisfied.gif

Originally Posted by kevinsp8
Guerlain Pamplelune. Best grapefruit ever, highly recommended. $60 at drugstore, you can't afford NOT to buy this! Their mandarin basilique smells similar but more organgey... think I'll buy that one too.
Love that one too and wore it a lot last summer. Got a few compliments actually as well. And a total bargain.
Have you tried Hermes Concentree D'Orange Verte?

Originally Posted by kevinsp8
Figuier by Heeley. Really like this... Leafy fig. I bought L'ombre dans l'leau and now I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten figuier instead?
PM sent...

Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Yeah, I generally don't like tuberose. All I get is a garish tuberose.
Iris Silver Mist? It's certainly a mainstay in my arsenal.

I just find tuberose too cold and bitter. I like sweeter florals or even powdery. It seems too clinical to me.
Haven't actually tried Iris Silver Mist... so maybe I'm missing out.
Black Orchid huh, that one's a favorite but you've really got to commit to the part 'cause everyone's going to smell you coming before you arrive!

SOTD: D&G The One.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
MC - what happened to my L'Homme Sage PM?????

BTW - I poasted up an Official thread for fragrance sales and trades. No more of this "can I sell/trade this?" bullshit. Just post up your wares and let er' rip.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unforgivable MP. Please forgive me my plebeness.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
working on a backlog of inbox messages...

nice idea on the thread, i'll sort out my collection soon and post up some stuff there.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
t have you tried
detaille's escrimiir and aeroplane?
nice stuff

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just find tuberose too cold and bitter. I like sweeter florals or even powdery. It seems too clinical to me.

It's remarkable how different people have such different perceptions of tuberose. That's true of all notes, I guess, but in my experience it's especially true of tuberose. To me, it's not clinical at all. I'd actually describe it as very inviting, even seductive.

Guerlain Nahema for me today.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
t have you tried
detaille's escrimiir and aeroplane?
nice stuff

Detaille is all but unknown and (as best I can tell) unavailable over here, kind of like Boellis when I tried to find a source for them and fayled like edina. It sounds nice, though.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOTD: D&G The One.

I've owned a bottle, but don't you find it a bit heavy for summer? I get a lot of basil and tobacco out of it on my skin. At it just feels heavier when I wear it. Love it for Fall/Early Winter though.

SotD: Virgin Island Water - the usual case of me not being able to smell it after six hours unless I almost touch my nose to my wrist. But my wife says it's still projecting enough for her to smell it well, so can't complain. Occasionally though, it's like it powers up for a few minutes and I can smell it in waves, and then it disappears again.

When I can smell it, I love the combination of the coconut and sugar cane notes that stick around on my skin - leaves an almost vanilla-like scent.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Detaille is all but unknown and (as best I can tell) unavailable over here, kind of like Boellis when I tried to find a source for them and fayled like edina. It sounds nice, though.

=(
pity
they really are quite good

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
=( pity they really are quite good
I have no doubt at all; you Europeans get ALL the good stuff: Chanel, Guerlain, Lutens, Villoresi, Ormonde Jayne, Carthusia, etc. etc. etc. We get Perry Ellis and Estee Lauder* *which, to be fair, ranges from good to fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads