• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is This The Latest MLM Scam?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
I did the Quixstar/Amway thing for about 3 months when I was 18. Haha don't know what I was thinking. Guess you can add me to the too nice to turn someone down.

I did it to when I was 24 to hook up with a girl. She wasn't having it so I hooked up with one of her friends at one of those Amway confrences. They then cornered me into signing up to start buying CD's to inspire me. I said sure and never showed up again.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have severed contact with some friends in the past because they have the ******* gall to approach me and use the words "business opportunities" on me. friends don't bait their friends.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
I have severed contact with some friends in the past because they have the ******* gall to approach me and use the words "business opportunities" on me. friends don't bait their friends.
This. I had to have a serious conversation with a 'friend' about such a thing. I pointed out to them in the last 3 years they've approached me with all sorts of things that were going to be "FANTASTIC!" but weren't and probably lost them money. "How long have you known me? Do you have ANY idea what I do? And you're calling me up about selling juice to strangers? Have you lost your ******* mind?"
lol8[1].gif

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
This.

I had to have a serious conversation with a 'friend' about such a thing. I pointed out to them in the last 3 years they've approached me with all sorts of things that were going to be "FANTASTIC!" but weren't and probably lost them money.

"How long have you known me? Do you have ANY idea what I do? And you're calling me up about selling juice to strangers? Have you lost your ******* mind?"
lol8[1].gif

crackup[1].gif
And how did these "FANTASTIC" opportunities turn out for them?

That's one question you can always ask an MLM'er when they approach you about their so-called "business opportunity." Just ask them, "How has it worked out FOR YOU? Don't tell me about some other guy who told you about some other guy whose a millionaire. I want YOUR results."

Most of them will go on about how this is the next best thing, how there's so much money to be made, but yet, they haven't made any money. That one question will shut them down quick.

I'll be fair, however, and admit that I know a guy whose made somewhere around 10 Million Dollars in MLM in less than ten years. Not with just one company. This guy shifted from Noni Juice, to Monavie, and now he's with some Weight Loss Company. But this guy is a master salesman. I'll give him credit as well...he does help his team make money too. But his story definitely isn't typical. And in case anyone wishes to confirm that this guy exists, google the name: Robert Dean.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did the Quixstar/Amway thing for about 3 months when I was 18. Haha don't know what I was thinking. Guess you can add me to the too nice to turn someone down.

These assholes have approached me numerous times at grocery stores and gas stations.

The first time it happened I was in college, and was naive enough to actually attend a meeting. I walked out once the pyramid-shaped diagram appeared on the projector screen.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ The main thing that made me go in the first place is that I had some family friends that made about 150k/yr doing it.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ The main thing that made me go in the first place is that I had some family friends that made about 150k/yr doing it.
Are you absolutely sure? Did you see the bank statements?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to a Quixtar meeting a few years back. I couldn't believe people fell for that ****. Nevermind the pyramid scheme itself, but to actually be fooled by obvious plants in the crowd that shout "BOOYAH!" and "SHOW ME THE MONEY!" on que? Come on.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Barnes & Noble a couple of years ago looking at a book about real estate. This guy approaches with, "Have you made any moves in real estate yet? If not I have a great business opportunity for you...."
He handed me his business card that said "John Smith - Independent business owner" with a Quixtar logo on it. I laughed and handed it back to him. He was pretty upset.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
Are you absolutely sure? Did you see the bank statements?

of the ones that are legal, if youre good at sales and grind the phone or the pavement you can make bank. aflac is essentially this and you can make a lot of moolah.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The company I worked for had some people who were pulling down millions. Not many, though, and I'm very sure that the people making that money were working their ass off and had unique bullshitting skills.

TBH, whenever I think about that company I get kind of annoyed at myself for working there. Work is work, of course, but this was a company literally selling sugar pills to dying people as a cure for cancer. I would mention their name except that one of the things I did when I was there was to use a web crawler to hunt down places on the internet where people were using their name and send out cease and desist letters.
ffffuuuu.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I never know what to say to these people. I'd really like to tell them to go *************** right off the bat. (...)
I've generally had variations on the same answer: sometimes it was that I was returning to school and didn't expect to have the time to make an honest go of it. A few times I was working for a small start-up and - again - didn't have the time to make an honest go of it. After that I was on the exec track at a small firm and - once again - didn't have the time to make an honest go of it. These days I have far too much on my plate to add anything else. My key to refusing is pretty much to diplomatically say that I have too many other priorities going on, and working to make money for you - random person with a Quixtar card - is going to rank somewhere on the priority scale between voluntary castration and shoving my head into my rear.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I was in Barnes & Noble a couple of years ago looking at a book about real estate. This guy approaches with, "Have you made any moves in real estate yet? If not I have a great business opportunity for you...."
He handed me his business card that said "John Smith - Independent business owner" with a Quixtar logo on it. I laughed and handed it back to him. He was pretty upset.

HAH SAME situation here, but I didn't laugh, I wanted to see what he was all about after handing me a business card printed on a bad bubblejet printer.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
there are also outfits like sunlife financial that is borderline mlm with the way they do business, imo. offering education plans, retirement plans, etc, that if you study it have less yields than most time deposit rates, offered by "financial consultants" who are likely to have no educational background in finance whatsoever, reporting to their "area heads", and getting their share of the cuts when someone signs up for one of their "investment" schemes. I also had offers from friends who work in this kind of industry that I also severed ties with. ******* users.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jelina
My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard. I wasn't interested in MLM. I did that crap before and it's not for me. Hounding people and harassing them to get them to signup for something isn't for me.

That's crazy, because My new rule is that any time I hear 'business opportunity' and they're not asking for a resume, and they won't divulge specifics: No Thanx. Actually, just the words 'business opportunity' from a random is enough to put me on-guard. I wasn't interested in MLM. I did that crap before and it's not for me. Hounding people and harassing them to get them to signup for something isn't for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads