• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
15yyxk5.jpg

color 4 and black saddle
argyles otc

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
15yyxk5.jpg

color 4 and black saddle
argyles otc

PRO

Also: Will wearing my suede Aldens without socks ruing them? My feet don't seem to sweat much and I always use powder. I have done it s couple of times and have noticed no problems.

Thanks.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Islander
Is the brown chromexcel Pitt boot the same as the Context Roy boot except for the sole? I know they are Barrie vs. Trubalance, but any other differences?

Originally Posted by CTYGGG
Leather Soul with another great Alden makeup...http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...oots-lsw-lsbh/

Finally, someone doing a chromexcel plain toe boot without the dreaded crepe sole. Looks very nice! The crucial color is probably the natural chromexcel.

Originally Posted by Ahab
PRO

Also: Will wearing my suede Aldens without socks ruing them? My feet don't seem to sweat much and I always use powder. I have done it s couple of times and have noticed no problems.

Thanks.

You should be fine, as long as you rest them for a day with trees in them. Unlined suede PTBs are begging for the no-sock treatment. (And cut your nails
wink.gif
)

IRONHORSE

Reaction score
If you can have a choice which is hard which Indy would you have Cigar Shell or Whiskey. Which one of this would age nicely.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IRONHORSE
If you can have a choice which is hard which Indy would you have Cigar Shell or Whiskey. Which one of this would age nicely.
That's a easy call…get the cigar and the whiskey.

CTYGGG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
15yyxk5.jpg

color 4 and black saddle
argyles otc

Great looking saddle shoe uncle.

keithp3521

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have come to the rather unhappy conclusion that my brand new AF 107 Wing Tips are too tight. They are 10.5 D, made on the Leydon last and, with Adam's help, I have determined that my big, fat foot requires an E. The good news is that I think I've found the last and size that fits me, so I will be able to make better purchases in the future. At any rate, I've listed these beautiful bad boys on Ebay. I only wore them twice. So, if you are a fan of the Leydon last, this is a good opportunity to pick up a pair of next-to-new calfskin boots for cheap. Thanks. I hope to soon be posting a pic of my new Barrie last boots. If you decide to buy these AF 107s, be good to them. They're gorgeous. (If you'd like a quick anecdote, I wore them to a meeting with a bunch of lawyers, two of whom were wearing wing tips, and somebody commented on how nice mine were. Soon, the entire group of law geeks was gathered around, ooh-ing and ah-ing over my Aldens. When I showed them that they're actually boots, they practically squealed with delight.) I still haven't figured out how to post a photo properly, like Uncle Mac does. Here's the Ebay listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by keithp3521
(If you'd like a quick anecdote, I wore them to a meeting with a bunch of lawyers, two of whom were wearing wing tips, and somebody commented on how nice mine were. Soon, the entire group of law geeks was gathered around, ooh-ing and ah-ing over my Aldens. When I showed them that they're actually boots, they practically squealed with delight.)

Lawyers squealing with delight (over shoes, excessive fees, whatever...) is a particularly unsettling image that is going to stay with me.

vivalet

Reaction score
Question:

If you take any two pairs of alden shoes with the same last and same size. And put the right shoe of one pair sole to sole with the left shoe of the other pair, will they always line up exactly? In other words, will an 11.5 barrie always have the exact same shape sole no matter what the top looks like or is made of?

I would answer this myself, but I do not have two pairs in the same last and size.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTYGGG
Great looking saddle shoe uncle.

nephew,
thank you

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vivalet
Question:

If you take any two pairs of alden shoes with the same last and same size. And put the right shoe of one pair sole to sole with the left shoe of the other pair, will they always line up exactly? In other words, will an 11.5 barrie always have the exact same shape sole no matter what the top looks like or is made of?

I would answer this myself, but I do not have two pairs in the same last and size.

I wouldn't think so if they have different welts.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vivalet
Question:

Exact? No. I'd be surprised if every pair even matched up L/R.
Sole measurement is a virtually useless metric for sizing.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ddm2vc.jpg

ravello tassels
argyles otc

keithp3521

Reaction score
Love the ravello in any shoe.

Uncle, do you ever wear socks that aren't argyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads