• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MTM Shirts/Suits in London

jonc

Reaction score
Forgive the rather obvious thread title,

I'm a newish member to StyleForum and having done quite a few searches I still have some specific questions.

I'm a fairly slim guy with quite a large drop (difference between chest and waist) of around 10 inches (maybe 42"->32"). As such, it's fairly hard to find shirts that fit well and don't billow around the waist/make me look like I'm wearing what should in fact be assigned to boat-pulling duties.

I'm primarily looking for a MTM/Bespoke shirtmakers in London, where I can get quality shirts that will fit me and will last reasonably well. I realise I may be looking at well over £100/£150 a shirt, but some indication of what should be the expected price point would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, if there are any online-only, UK-based MTM/bespoke shirtmakers I would be grateful if anyone had any details.

As a final aside, anyone have any recommendation for MTM/bespoke suits in London for around the £700/£800 pricepoint? I'm aware of places like SuitSupply and Savile Row, but am slightly unsure as to how the price of a MTM/Bespoke suit at SuitSupply would compare to a basic MTM (not bespoke) from someone like Richard James/Boateng.

Please be gentle, this is my first post on SF.

WhippingBoy

Reaction score
Fist thing to say is your build is irrelevant. If a MTM/Bespoke shirtmaker or cutter can't handle your build he shouldn't be doing the job!

Check out the Interent. Permanent Style, Mensflair, Bespokeme, Styleforum, Londonlounge, Filmnoirbuff. Visit some tailors, on and off the row

The tailors below will do a cracking bespoke job for £1K or less on a suit, reviews can be found on the web

Graham Browne Wells Court
C Antoniou on Gray's Inn Road
Chris Georgiou on Kings Cross Road
Sims and MacDonald Lambs Conduit Street
Nino's Brewer Street
The Georges Cleveland Street/Threadneedleman/Haringey
Paul Kitsaros
Lloyd Miller

All are owned and run by cutters/tailors with many years experience. Make sure all your business is conducted with a cutter (It will be at the firms above). Ask them about their background. If they have ever worked for a recruitment consultant/bank/pr firm/IT company/record company/High end retail/Sales, politely tell them you want to meet a professional cutter. If they can't/won't, vote with your feet. Make sure its made in the UK too

Never pay 100% up front, the usual arrangement is 50% on order 50% on completion. That way if you are not happy you have some comeback. Expect 2/3 fittings

For shirts the first, and only port of call, should be Stephan Shirts in Fulham. Best MTM shirt in the Universe at £69 They also do MTM suits. No one else comes close in terms of cost/quality
You could also try Nino's for a flash Italian style shirt at £99

For Shoes the usual suspect apply Crocketts/EG/Churches in the sales. However you might like to Try Strutton Ground for Loakes and John Rushton Shoes. A fine pair of Shoes on the web are also good. They are currently knocking out the old Alfred Sargent end of line Cleverleys in the sale is really good too, £250 for C&J Handgrade quality is a good deal.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhippingBoy
Fist thing to say is your build is irrelevant. If a MTM/Bespoke shirtmaker or cutter can't handle your build he shouldn't be doing the job!

Check out the Interent. Permanent Style, Mensflair, Bespokeme, Styleforum, Londonlounge, Filmnoirbuff. Visit some tailors, on and off the row

The tailors below will do a cracking bespoke job for £1K or less on a suit, reviews can be found on the web

Graham Browne Wells Court
C Antoniou on Gray's Inn Road
Chris Georgiou on Kings Cross Road
Sims and MacDonald Lambs Conduit Street
Nino's Brewer Street
The Georges Cleveland Street/Threadneedleman/Haringey
Paul Kitsaros
Lloyd Miller

All are owned and run by cutters/tailors with many years experience. Make sure all your business is conducted with a cutter (It will be at the firms above). Ask them about their background. If they have ever worked for a recruitment consultant/bank/pr firm/IT company/record company/High end retail/Sales, politely tell them you want to meet a professional cutter. If they can't/won't, vote with your feet. Make sure its made in the UK too

Never pay 100% up front, the usual arrangement is 50% on order 50% on completion. That way if you are not happy you have some comeback. Expect 2/3 fittings

For shirts the first, and only port of call, should be Stephan Shirts in Fulham. Best MTM shirt in the Universe at £69 They also do MTM suits. No one else comes close in terms of cost/quality
You could also try Nino's for a flash Italian style shirt at £99

For Shoes the usual suspect apply Crocketts/EG/Churches in the sales. However you might like to Try Strutton Ground for Loakes and John Rushton Shoes. A fine pair of Shoes on the web are also good. They are currently knocking out the old Alfred Sargent end of line Cleverleys in the sale is really good too, £250 for C&J Handgrade quality is a good deal.

This is EXTREMELY useful, thank you Whippingboy
worship.gif

jonc

Reaction score
Many thanks Whippingboy, I was worried that my post may have dropped into obscurity over the UK night (and US day).

You are indeed completely correct that my build should not have any impact on MTM, I had initially intended to ask about slim-fitting OTR shirts as well but decided to try and stop my question wondering from the point.

I guess I'll be popping into Stephan Shirts then!

WhippingBoy

Reaction score
If you do go to Stephan Shirts.

Check the reviews on Bespokeme first.

Make sure you deal with Erlend. The Shirts are MTM, minimum order of 1, he has no problem with 50/50 payment on order and collection.

I bought 1 shirt from him 18 months ago. Washed it and wore it half a dozen times, took it back, got his opinion on any tweaks that we could put into shirt number 2. We removed the darts, took it in an inch and made the arm hole higher. He will happily do all the usual, fancy stripes on the inside collar and cuffs (no charge), left cuff bigger than the right for your watch, no charge. Its still going strong

He will do MOP buttons for a charge and he will replace the collar and cuffs on site himself for about £20 when you want.

I now have 7.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
there is some seriously helpful info in this thread...

69 pounds for MTM in fulham?? thats not such a formidable upgrade from my CT shirts!!!

jonc

Reaction score
Just an update.

I popped into Stephan's shirts on Saturday on the off chance Erland he was around, but was informed that he'd taken the day off. Reassuringly the guy running the shop suggested that I should probably talk to Erland if I'd not ordered from them before, so I'll be popping back in due course.

Incidentally, I had a walk around and I'm starting to see and recognise names of shops/brands that I hadn't noticed before starting on SF.

I've read some things on here about Turnbull and Asser, is there a consensus on their MTM shirts and the type of service one can expect? I expect they are also more expensive, what kind of price are we talking (I have in my head around £150/£200 per piece).

kraftar

Reaction score
T&A are good, and I believe around £180 or £200. There are alot of different threads on shirtmakers in London (here is a recent one http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=196634). The names that keep turning up are Robert Whittaker (Dege & Skinner), Sean O'Flynn, T&A, and others like Budds, Hilditch & Key, Harvie & Hudson, and Stephen Lachter.

I can't offer an opinion on any of them as I have yet to make the leap to this level (currently using moderntailor.com), but it seems which one you'd prefer would depend on the style of shirt, choice of fabrics, and the number you want to order (different minimums for each).

jonc

Reaction score
Well I popped into Stephan's shirts once more (I phoned ahead to ensure Erland was in) and I've got a couple of shirts on order, very exciting (as I told Erland, my first dip into MTM).

As I arrived he was attending to another client. and it was apparent that he knew what he was talking about. It was a two-way conversation between him and the client, to get everything as desired.

While some people have said that the range of cloths was small, the £79 range was limited (compared to the £89 range), but still took a good while to look through, the £89 range was almost too much choice! I'm confident that if you're looking for work/formal shirts you won't be disappointed.

He took his time taking measurements and talking to me about what I was looking for, I wore a shirt I liked for comparison (for collar spread etc) and he happily took several measurements from it alongside my physical measurements. Overall I was very happy with the service, he seemed genuinely interested in what I was looking for. Now just to wait for the shirts! Turnaround time is normally around 3 weeks he said, it's nearer 4 at the moment as it's obviously holiday season.

I shall report back with more news as it arrives :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads