• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I crazy for wanting to lease a top-of-the-line 3-series out of college?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
fistbump.gif

What interest rate did you get?

thanks! I have excellent credit (close to 800), but since it's a 7-year old car, they gave me 7.9%, which is the best i can get.

i have the cash to pay for it outright, but i purposely want to finance it so i can build some credit. im going to pay it off within a year anyway.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
i have the cash to pay for it outright, but i purposely want to finance it so i can build some credit. im going to pay it off within a year anyway.

Nothing to do with you, and unrelated to your purchase, but I find this whole concept of having to borrow a little money now so you can get better interest rates when you need to borrow more money in the future (mortgage, whatever) to be somewhat ass-backwards. You crazy Americans.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool car!

Now please refer to the "BMW Repair Cost Horror Stories" thread
rimshot.gif

Bash!

Reaction score
Yes...definitely horrifying repair costs. I have an '02 M3 and i'm still in love with the car. Last week, i pumped bad gas and they charged $1500 for fuel pump install etc. Atleast they comped my rental car.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you think an aftermarket warranty is worth it? They have one for 2 years at $2100. BTW, just bought some angel eyes and a CAI
biggrin.gif

acularw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
Nothing to do with you, and unrelated to your purchase, but I find this whole concept of having to borrow a little money now so you can get better interest rates when you need to borrow more money in the future (mortgage, whatever) to be somewhat ass-backwards. You crazy Americans.

You would be surprised how many people just plain don't pay their bills. It makes sense that a consistent history of on time payments should improve your credit-worthiness. It is unfortunate for someone just out of school with no history, but then again there is something to be said for not getting everything you want right away. We don't all need a 3 series and house when we are 22...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not sure if that is a great asking price (although you seem to have haggled it down a bit), but that is certainly a great car. 10+ years after it's introduction, the E46 still doesnt look dated.

the aftermarket warranty is really just a probability exercise. if you are going to spend $2100+ in repairs over the life of the warranty, then it's worth it. as a single data point, i have a 11 year old 330ci (also my first car after school, woo!) that i've probably put $5000-7000 in out-of-warranty repairs, maintenance, and wear-and-tear replacements into

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Do you think an aftermarket warranty is worth it? They have one for 2 years at $2100.

BTW, just bought some angel eyes and a CAI
biggrin.gif

Aftermarket warranties, unless you are hyper risk averse or w/e, are generally not worth it. They're also known to have *lots* of fine print and stipulations.

Have you researched the CAI much? FWIU they don't enhance power any and possibly raise MPG by 1-2

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
Aftermarket warranties, unless you are hyper risk averse or w/e, are generally not worth it. They're also known to have *lots* of fine print and stipulations.

Have you researched the CAI much? FWIU they don't enhance power any and possibly raise MPG by 1-2

yeah, i know they aren't really performance-enhancing. i mainly bought it for the sound

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
not sure if that is a great asking price (although you seem to have haggled it down a bit), but that is certainly a great car. 10+ years after it's introduction, the E46 still doesnt look dated.

the aftermarket warranty is really just a probability exercise. if you are going to spend $2100+ in repairs over the life of the warranty, then it's worth it. as a single data point, i have a 11 year old 330ci (also my first car after school, woo!) that i've probably put $5000-7000 in out-of-warranty repairs, maintenance, and wear-and-tear replacements into

That's the thing.. I just don't know how long I'm going to keep the car. Seeing as I won't be driving it much anyway (adding around 5K miles a year). But at the same time, it could easily pay for itself over one repair.

I think I'm going to get one, just for the peace of mind.

Prince

Reaction score
Good choice. Congrats on the car.

Now, how's the cooling system...?
wink.gif

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince
Good choice. Congrats on the car.

Now, how's the cooling system...?
wink.gif

Thank you. Not sure.. How much would a cooling system overhaul cost? I see some kits going for about $300 bucks but I dunno if I could replace it myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads