• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Google+..bye bye Facebook!

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i agree with GQ in that i think that one site will be supreme. i still think that website is facebook.

very surprised that a lot of people are fed up with it. however, i don't know if there will be anything better... we shall see.

not very impressed so far though... (remember orkut & buzz? yeah me neither)

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
i agree with GQ in that i think that one site will be supreme. i still think that website is facebook. very surprised that a lot of people are fed up with it. however, i don't know if there will be anything better... we shall see. not very impressed so far though... (remember orkut & buzz? yeah me neither)
Most people I know are using Google products to do just about everything else. If I can eliminate Facebook from the list of things I need to update it would be fantastic. I hate their interface but have to use it. Hell, Google launching the thing will be enough for me to abandon Facebook. Perhaps it will become a wasteland of business/artist "Fan Pages"... Or perhaps Facebook will sell the thing after its too late After reading the Wired.com piece it seems clear they have a very good handle on why BUZZ didn't work
Another twist is that people in your circles don’t have to be members of Google’s social net. If Aunt Mary refuses to opt in, you can include her anyway, and she can still get the pictures you post to the circle via e-mail.
Simple but still a great idea

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yjeezle
i agree with GQ in that i think that one site will be supreme. i still think that website is facebook. very surprised that a lot of people are fed up with it. however, i don't know if there will be anything better... we shall see. not very impressed so far though... (remember orkut & buzz? yeah me neither)
Social is still young. I do'nt see facebook as the defacto winner. Companies with deep pockets can do amazing things. People originally though MS was crazy going up against sony with the XBOX. In 2 generations they surpassed them. Getting people onto a new platform was also a chicken and egg problem. Users wanted to seem games first, but devs wanted to be assured a wide audience first. Sony had over 100 million PS2 out in wild. MS started from nothing and beat sony at their own game. I'm hoping google can do the same.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
It sounds pretty complex and yet I consider myself fairly computer savvy. So if I think it's complex, I can't imagine technophobes who had a hard time joining FB because they didn't know how to set up their own profile pic will want to join.

True, they can still be included passively but obviously what makes FB what it is its carefully-restricted ease.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
It sounds pretty complex and yet I consider myself fairly computer savvy. So if I think it's complex, I can't imagine technophobes who had a hard time joining FB because they didn't know how to set up their own profile pic will want to join.

True, they can still be included passively but obviously what makes FB what it is its carefully-restricted ease.

Really? Facebook's site is a mess imo. Google's looks clean and simple. It'll be interesting to see what finished site looks like;.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I think FB can be overly complicated sometimes, rooting through menus and submenus to get to what you want. But some dogs don't want to learn new tricks. I think we all have friends that use FB as an address book to update from time to time; they're there but not really there. Google + seems like a waste of time for people like that as the features are obviously geared towards active users.

This is just an initial impression based off a ****** demo that doesn't explain much of anything. It could be far simpler than it appears now.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate Google's system of "invites". It discourages me from trying the products more.

I get tired and move on unless its compelling (like Gmail).

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So will this thing show what your "friends" search for on google? That could be hilarious

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
So will this thing show what your "friends" search for on google? That could be hilarious
I really don't want to know
uhoh.gif

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/28/sea...t-to-facebook/ Remember it was myspace then facebook and now maybe google+. A few years ago no one thought that FB would surpass myspace but it did and won through innovation. Google is definitely going the innovation route and i love the idea of groups because i have friends/coworkers/family on facebook and sometimes just want to rant and swear a bit but cant. Who knows if this is a true game changer, but i will definitely give it a try and i am sure there will be plenty of others who will give goole+ a shot. Its definitely a step in the right direction. I want to bring up the "great FB exodus day" i think it was last year, FB lost a couple of thousand users but gains so many each day that it did not skip a beat. Currently facebook has 750 million users out of 7 billion people. it will be tough to move people over, and if they do move it will take a really long time. Either way, i'll use both for now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aw, ****. Does this mean that now I have to start a Styleforum Google feed as well as a Styleforum Facebook feed?

What do you guys want to know from that stuff anyway? New sales? When Threaks attack? Daily list of bannings?

Also, **** facebook, since they cut off my Styleforum account there. **** them and their mom.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Aw, ****. Does this mean that now I have to start a Styleforum Google feed as well as a Styleforum Facebook feed? What do you guys want to know from that stuff anyway? New sales? When Threaks attack? Daily list of bannings? Also, **** facebook, since they cut off my Styleforum account there. **** them and their mom.
biggrin.gif
Google isn't going to say it but if they're successful at doing this they will make Facebook obsolete, they will purchase it 'cheaply' and Facebook will regret not selling sooner. Ergo, no need for the double posting

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using it for the last 24 hours, it's awesome! No more invites avail to me at this time unfortunately. This plus the +1 button is powerful. Circles is so intuitive, such a better way to share content.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Really? Facebook's site is a mess imo. Google's looks clean and simple. It'll be interesting to see what finished site looks like;.

has the time for an established social media giant passed? i don't know... it might have.

i feel like microsoft got ahead because neither nintendo nor sony marketed games for a specific audience... (at least not very well)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads