• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Popped down to Zegna today... and bought the tie. Bloody hell SF is making me really poor.
Just wait until American tailors have their sale and discount their Carminas, Crockett and Jones and Gaziano and Girlings.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, just wondering, giving the craptastic standard of dress in Australian workplaces, how do you gents deal with dressing to fit in and/or connect with new clients and colleagues in the office?

S'funny... but I think that sometimes we make a bigger deal of dressing up than we need to.

When I first started wearing pocket hanks in '08, I felt extremely self-conscious about it, and would go to the extent of hiding the blasted things back in my breast pocket when indoors, at the office. In hindsight, I really didn't have to, because truth be told, this being Oz, no one really gives a crap what you wear, as long as it seems decent enough.

For good or bad: Most. People. Don't. Care.

Of course, being a karateka, and having a bit of a rep doesn't hurt at all.
sly.gif

Just do what you do and as long as it isn't offensive... stuff what everyone else thinks.

Chill, bro.

Originally Posted by __PG__
I dress however I want and everyone else can get f*cked!

What he said.

Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Pretty much the way to go.

Years ago I worked at a consultancy where I was the only one who wore a suit and tie. Clients appreciated it and sure enough, over time, a few other started to make the effort.

I try to dress well every day because it makes me feel good.

And him.

P.S. When you believe that you own the look, and wear it with confidence, you might even find others, men and women alike, complimenting you.

Teggeh

Reaction score
Teggeh: Just train it out to Sydney on a weekend and shop there. Visit Herringbone outlet and what not. Don't know whether DJs stock the Milana scarves in Canberra, but during this sale 80 Cash 20 Wool scarves are going for $25. Good enough to keep your neck warm. As for shoes, if you know your size, you have to shop online from Herring Shoes and Pediwear (for English shoes), and maybe even the ebay seller Apoox10 (for Italian shoes). Speaking of Herringbone, I just realised the buttons on their shirts are plastic. For shirts that are nearly $200 I'd expect MOP buttons especially when they aren't exactly all that expensive anyway. I am disappoint.
Next time I'm up in Sydney I will make sure to do a trip to the outlet and a few other stores. My GF's mums is working in Melbourne at the moment so we might go visit as I think Melbourne might be better for warm jackets and coats. Sydney doesn't really require them to be that warm. Another thing I forgot to ask, I got given a shirt that is much to big for me (I'm a 37/38 in shirts, this shirt is a 41), is it worth while getting tailored or should I wait until I eventually put on weight and leave it in the closet until then? I didn't check out Blades, John Hannah or Rodd and Gunn, I think I will need too though. In the way of more casual gear, are there many options in Canberra? The Canberra Centre didn't seem to have much on offer. edit: Another thing I wanted to ask, it always happens that whenever I buy leather shoes I always end up with these massive creases along where my toes bend, is this from bad care (as I've never done much other than polish them), bad walking habits or bad quality leather? It's the thing that is stopping me from getting expensive shoes, I don't want to drop a decent amount of cash and end up with ruined looking shoes within a few weeks.

__PG__

Reaction score
Shoe trees will stop 'massive creases' IMO A few months after I bought some horrible squared-toed tan Windsor Smith shoes (my last shoe purchase pre-SF) I started using shoe-trees on them. They actually look immaculate, compared to equally noxious Aquilas I have which are of a similar vintage but have never had shoe trees used with them.

Both shoes are of the same price point with similar quality leather..but the differences in ageing between the two shoes is chalk and cheese.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teggeh
I didn't check out Blades, John Hannah or Rodd and Gunn, I think I will need too though. In the way of more casual gear, are there many options in Canberra? The Canberra Centre didn't seem to have much on offer.
Welcome to the wastelands.
lol8[1].gif
Sportscraft does have some good casual options.

Smudge

Reaction score
it always happens that whenever I buy leather shoes I always end up with these massive creases along where my toes bend, is this from bad care (as I've never done much other than polish them), bad walking habits or bad quality leather? It's the thing that is stopping me from getting expensive shoes, I don't want to drop a decent amount of cash and end up with ruined looking shoes within a few weeks.
Welcome to the forum. Using shoe trees will reduce the amount of creasing you are talking about but don't worry about it too much. A bit of creasing will give your leather shoes character and with care, patina. IRL shoes get creased with wear. I suspect that the only wear some of the shoes you see on SF get is: house/driveway/car/secure-parking/office; repeat and then rotate. Have a look at a thread called "shoes with character" to give you some perspective.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wait until American tailors have their sale and discount their Carminas, Crockett and Jones and Gaziano and Girlings.
In that case, I'm quitting SF
ffffuuuu.gif
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist
S'funny... but I think that sometimes we make a bigger deal of dressing up than we need to. When I first started wearing pocket hanks in '08, I felt extremely self-conscious about it, and would go to the extent of hiding the blasted things back in my breast pocket when indoors, at the office. In hindsight, I really didn't have to, because truth be told, this being Oz, no one really gives a crap what you wear, as long as it seems decent enough. For good or bad: Most. People. Don't. Care. Of course, being a karateka, and having a bit of a rep doesn't hurt at all.
sly.gif
Just do what you do and as long as it isn't offensive... stuff what everyone else thinks. Chill, bro. What he said. And him. P.S. When you believe that you own the look, and wear it with confidence, you might even find others, men and women alike, complimenting you.

laugh.gif
I once had a girl ask me where I learnt to dress. I didn't tell her.
Another thing I forgot to ask, I got given a shirt that is much to big for me (I'm a 37/38 in shirts, this shirt is a 41), is it worth while getting tailored or should I wait until I eventually put on weight and leave it in the closet until then? I didn't check out Blades, John Hannah or Rodd and Gunn, I think I will need too though. In the way of more casual gear, are there many options in Canberra? The Canberra Centre didn't seem to have much on offer. edit: Another thing I wanted to ask, it always happens that whenever I buy leather shoes I always end up with these massive creases along where my toes bend, is this from bad care (as I've never done much other than polish them), bad walking habits or bad quality leather? It's the thing that is stopping me from getting expensive shoes, I don't want to drop a decent amount of cash and end up with ruined looking shoes within a few weeks.
Don't bother taking that shirt to the tailor, don't even hope you'll get fat enough to fit in that. Bin it
laugh.gif
Don't know about the other 2, but I find Rodd and Gunn styles to be a bit too old fogey and cut generously. From what you have written you seem like a young, slim guy so I'd look more towards Herringbone or Rhodes and Beckett or Oxford to a small extent. About the shoes, definitely put some shoe trees in them to reduce creasing. However creasing is inevitable even on the best of the best. Treat your shoes right, but don't see it as a bad thing when they start creasing, just think they're adding a touch of character to the shoes. I actually like a bit of creasing and rippling on my plain toe dress shoes otherwise they'd be boring.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Right, my missus recently bought me two size 39 slim-fit Herringbone shirts in one of their pop-up sale things.

Worn once, simply too tight around the neck when I do up the top button and try to put a tie on, so subsequently I can't wear them.

I know I know I know I know I KNOW that this should be going in one of the 493 sub-section forums of the Buying & Selling Space, but let's face it - it's a bloody jungle in there, we (the occupants of this particular thread) have always prided ourselves as being above the general bullshitness of the rest of this site, and (c) I've run out of excuses... So fcuk it.

Two HB Slim fit french cuffed shirts, size 39 - one pink and white stripped, one purple and white stripped. Worn once, looking for a new home. $100 for the pair of 'em. PM me before they hit ebay...

Happy to provide photos if you PM me too.

Cheers.

ryanohare

Reaction score
Can't you just exchange them at the store?

'fraid not mate. They're from one of their pop-up store sales, so the usual HB stores won't exchange.

That and the fact I've worn them both too. They're both practically new, but I do have some form of moral code when it comes to wearing clothes and not returning/exchanging them then...

__PG__

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I bought an Arthur Galan shirt last year because it had a fantastic blue window-pane pattern that I'd been hunting for ages.

The collar shrunk a lot after the first wear, to the point where its uncomfortably tight. Sometimes I wear it with a tie and the top button undone.

I'm also bleeding because Oxford released an exact replica of the shirt a month later (for $40 less) with a better fitting collar.

ryanohare

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I bought an Arthur Galan shirt last year because it had a fantastic blue window-pane pattern that I'd been hunting for ages.

The collar shrunk a lot after the first wear, to the point where its uncomfortably tight. Sometimes I wear it with a tie and the top butting undone.

I'm also bleeding because Oxford released an exact replica of the shirt a month later (for $40 less) with a better fitting collar.

Ha, my sympathies.

Althoughyou should have expected at least a touch of that if you're going to shop in Arthur Galan of all places.
plain.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fa73c833.jpg
Interest check, 1 BNWOT (didn't realise they remove the tag at the store :S) Ermie Z knit tie. Burgundy and white with blue woven back blade...
frown.gif
You might have guessed by now. Work isn't all that busy lately thus the forum spam. And PeeGee, not to mention that since its Oxford, that shirt is probably enjoying 75% off now.
laugh.gif

__PG__

Reaction score
blahman : Why don't you like it?

Re: ryanohare and Arthur Galan. I have no idea how he survives. I bought that shirt on sale for $100...RRP was $229!?!?!? Who spends that much money on poor-quality clothes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads