• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Google+..bye bye Facebook!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like Google is finally taking it's 1,000's of moving parts and putting together a cohesive unit that looks pretty badass... http://www.google.com/intl/en/+/demo/
gplus_circleeditor.jpg
gplus_sparks.jpg
Just read on Gizmodo that this announcement only features a few of the nearly 100 new features/launches Google has planned. Moar: Wired: Inside Google+ — How the Search Giant Plans to Go Social this-is-google-changing-all-of-information-sharing

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep wondering when Facebook will sell to Google...

That demo looks great

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Google tries a lot of ****, some of it sticks, some of it doesn't... lets see where this goes. I will say this, Android is a great way for them to integrate this.

yup.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Emerald Sea is not a Facebook killer, Gundotra told me. In fact, he added, somewhat puckishly, "people are barely tolerant of the Facebook they have," citing a consumer satisfaction study that rated it barely higher than the IRS. Instead, he says, the transformation will offer people a better Google
Indeed we will see.

I think it would be interesting to see how quickly they could populate their network by importing all the photos and profile information from Facebook. Without knowing for certain it seems likely that most people would leave Facebook if they can further reign in their privacy controls and reduce the number of logins they need to have

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate facebook. I have to say that this looks good and I hope that google kills them, though they have an uphill battle.

Sparks and the mobile side seem like a good avenue of attack. The chicken and egg problem is such that it's hard to get people into the network with a frontal attack based on having friends in the network. Sparks and the mobile stuff give people a reason to create acounts anyway to use them in a way that maybe facebook doesn't have (i haven't used facebook in 2 years so i'm not sure where they are). Once they're on the system, it becomes a hell of a lot easier to get people to switch over.

And Circles? Duh. How facebook didn't think of something like that i'll never understand. Having everyone post/see the same wall is idiotic. (again, if that's changed at all, my bad, but based on wired article it doesn't seem like it has)

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone using Music Beta? uploaded my 60 GB, 12000 songs. ******* awesome

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I hate facebook. I have to say that this looks good and I hope that google kills them, though they have an uphill battle. Sparks and the mobile side seem like a good avenue of attack. The chicken and egg problem is such that it's hard to get people into the network with a frontal attack based on having friends in the network. Sparks and the mobile stuff give people a reason to create acounts anyway to use them in a way that maybe facebook doesn't have (i haven't used facebook in 2 years so i'm not sure where they are). Once they're on the system, it becomes a hell of a lot easier to get people to switch over.
Facebook relies on your friends to provide the content with links and whatnot, Google's gonna rely on a little of column A (your circles/friends) and column B (the algorithm and your personal preferences) to do that. I personally like Google's approach better.
And Circles? Duh. How facebook didn't think of something like that i'll never understand. Having everyone post/see the same wall is idiotic. (again, if that's changed at all, my bad, but based on wired article it doesn't seem like it has)
Facebook does have this, but it's so tedious to set up that, I for one, don't even bother with it. I don't share often of FB and I certainly don't share stuff that I wouldn't want everyone to see to go through the trouble of setting up separate friends lists.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

This is why despite all of google's other huge failures at socializing their services...I think this might work.

The facebook news feed grew organically--before it existed, everybody just had walls on their profiles that only someone looking at your profile would see. Then they added the news feed and a lot of people freaked out until they realized that at the time facebook was still pretty much all college students so all of your friends were still in about the same "circle"

Now that my grandma (no joke) is on facebook, it would be handy if I could control what goes to her. Ditto with posts aimed at my cycling team where people geek out over obscure bike parts while my friends have their eyes glaze over (one of my teammates has two twitters...one for friends and one for biking). You can add people to limited profile which worked at the beginning if you were just like "no, I don't want my mom to see my drunken photos with these skanky chicks" but now I've got my dad tagging me in family photos. A lot of people's solutions to this is to just disable photos so that you can only see their profile photos--they still show up tagged in photos, but you can't click on them to browse other photos.

If google can make this work, it is because circles are the killer app that people need (provided facebook can't provide it in a better interface quickly). It doesn't even have to kill facebook...I can still use facebook for the general stuff (like "oh hi, I met you at a party, be my friend") but can use google circles to stick with the cycling world (which already involves several google groups, results posted to google docs, event photos to picasa) and another circle to hang out with my close friends (who already all use gmail and gchat to communicate).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
If google can make this work, it is because circles are the killer app that people need (provided facebook can't provide it in a better interface quickly). It doesn't even have to kill facebook...I can still use facebook for the general stuff (like "oh hi, I met you at a party, be my friend") but can use google circles to stick with the cycling world (which already involves several google groups, results posted to google docs, event photos to picasa) and another circle to hang out with my close friends (who already all use gmail and gchat to communicate).

My take on social is that one site will eventually reign supreme. nobody wants to post updates on multiple sites. If they can get people on there to do as you say, form targeted groups where people can organize/get together, critical mass could be attained very quickly imo.

I also think google is being smart to roll out features gradually. They seemed to have some great core functionality going that won't make it too complicated. I'd rather it be google than facebook. I hate the idea of being forced into using facebook because it replaces email, for instance, and it's got its own instant messaging...

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
facebook is so annoying, i can't figure out how to get my blackberry from showing the updates

go google!! down with facebook

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My supposed friends on Orkut are from countries I've never heard of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads