• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
Quick tip for y'all. If you see wedding dresses lying around your tailor's shop, GTFO and find another tailor. I have a jacket that's been chilling at the shop for a month and is still not done because the tailor's primary business is bridal and I was too dim to realize this would happen. blargh
lmao, same here. When I went in, I think a bride was literally sitting there watching her work. So weird. My 2 shirts will never get done........

ramp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bam!ChairDance
Quick tip for y'all. If you see wedding dresses lying around your tailor's shop, GTFO and find another tailor. I have a jacket that's been chilling at the shop for a month and is still not done because the tailor's primary business is bridal and I was too dim to realize this would happen. blargh

wtf. Did she quote you 1 month or did she say less than that and keeps pushing it back?

Either way,
tumblr_kvhws8toSh1qzymhso1_400.gif

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She quoted me a little over a week. I waited like two weeks, showed up, still not done. Came in another week later, and it was in sad shape. It was not pressed, long threads hanging out, so still not done.

Oh and here's another reason folks should stick with non-bridal tailors. When I came in today to examine my sad wreak of a jacket, this bride-to-be was sitting in the corner literally screaming at me because I was stealing time from whatever labor was needed to make her special day even more special. That ******* sucked.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Weird. My last tailor was mainly bridal, too, but I never had any snags. Every once in a while I'd step in the shop to drop stuff off and I'd walk in on Bridezilla and her family entourage. I actually looked FORWARD to that because the half-naked broads, in-family jabs, fat jokes, and awkward comments were priceless and always warranted communication in the form of eyerolls between the tailor and myself.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm an unreasonably patient person sometimes. After this experience, I won't be much longer.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bridal thing is really weird, did she have to do like all the bridesmaid dresses too or something? No bridal dress takes that long in my experience (mum has been doing alterations for 25 years and I've also helped her out at the shop). I don't think I've ever seen my mom delay anything for more than a day or two, even during prom season etc.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
that guy owns

also why would you continue to wait for a tailor that's like 3 weeks behind?

+1

I use two tailors. For the simple stuff I use a dry-cleaner lady by my old apt., even though it means I have to carry the **** back on the train, b/c she's cheap and I can always get my stuff in two days (and she never charges extra if you want stuff done quick), and then I have an actual tailor out in the suburbs (though I can get there via the purple line) that I use for the more complex ****... funny thing is - he charges less than half of the drycleaner "tailors"

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Wish we were the same size. Why does that mean you have to sell stuff?

I have some heavier sweaters I never wear and I have a lot of expenses coming up.

Originally Posted by DLester
yays west coast ftw!

Originally Posted by jet
dats cuz the westside is the best side

fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by kwoyeu
so was the nyc trip a prospective visit of sorts? congrats on grad school anyway

Sort of, but I really just wanted to buy socks at Uniqlo and eat everything.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You selling that dbss sweater?
redface.gif

Also did you end up get ting that bless bomber?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
Looks a million times better than emaciated white dudes rockin Rick.

Julius and Rick

And damn I use to hate on stupid corny white celebrities wearing it, but this looks so fuggin good.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. What if you're just incredibly indecisive you might be right though... I've found just forcing myself to get the tem makes me appreciate it now instead of think aout it for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads