• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computurd

2hi3uia.jpg

what sunglasses? i need a smaller-framed pair like these!

anything similar on the market today? i checked out dita and cutler&gross already..

Tatum Rag

Reaction score
Any general thoughts on the look and quality of the Cartier Santos Dumont Aviators? Went to the store today and tried on a bunch of pairs, and it seemed like the two people working there felt those looked the best on me. I've been wearing glasses since 5th grade but am still clueless when it comes to picking out glasses/sunglasses, so I usually just rely on others. At the time, I didn't realize those Cartier's were twice as expensive as every other frame I was looking at, so I'm not sure whether their opinion's were influenced by financial incentives. Thanks!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
Where does it click? I'm afraid I can't answer. It just clicks, particularly when I first start wiping the first lens with a cleaning cloth. Guess it's the lens. Hinges should be top-notch. They are one thing Lunor is famous for and very retro and look great.

What material front?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
Hi CityConnection,

I'm looking for a new pair of glasses, and I'd like something like the pair in this image:

tumblr_lml2f8oSNJ1qfp42uo1_500.jpg

What would you recommend that is along those lines?

There are tons. Maybe someone else can ID them for you?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tatum Rag
Any general thoughts on the look and quality of the Cartier Santos Dumont Aviators? Went to the store today and tried on a bunch of pairs, and it seemed like the two people working there felt those looked the best on me. I've been wearing glasses since 5th grade but am still clueless when it comes to picking out glasses/sunglasses, so I usually just rely on others. At the time, I didn't realize those Cartier's were twice as expensive as every other frame I was looking at, so I'm not sure whether their opinion's were influenced by financial incentives. Thanks!

Catiers are well made. The screws go in and out flawlessly. The hinges are smooth. Most if not all are rolled gold. You'll pay for it but chances are they will last you. Also, the gold will not fade or change colors on you.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epic
Cheers City.. I really appreciate your great advice. I'll take your ideas with me to NY next week and see can I find something more square with flatter bridge.

All the best, Epic

Best of luck finding a pair!

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
what sunglasses? i need a smaller-framed pair like these! anything similar on the market today? i checked out dita and cutler&gross already..
Bottega Veneta
devil.gif

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think that these Wayfarer-like frames suit my face? Should I go smaller a touch? Totally a different style? Any advice is welcome! (I do like this kinda look, for note.)

http://twitpic.com/5ipyr4

arrow

Reaction score
Are there other shops for Japanese Eyewear frames in San Francisco besides Spectacles for Humans? I picked up some Yoichi frames from SFH last year and I'm in the hunt for some new frames. thanks!

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I think the bridge should be a bit flatter on the top. my 2 cents.
I agree with you on the bridge needing to be flatter; the bridge on this pair is a little off, and I'm not 100% satisfied with them. I think if I can find a pair with a better bridge, but similar otherwise (especially in size), I'd cop asap. Any suggestions, or should I just hunt around locally?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
00140h.jpg
00240h.jpg
00340h.jpg
00650h.jpg

Do want. Like Batman steez

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duplicate. Removed by author.

Last edited:

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing this discussion on the "clicking frames." I have what should be a wonderful, luxury Lunor acetate frame. The first one I had kept clicking when I'd clean it, which always made me a little uneasy. I showed it to several experienced opticians associated with my shop and they both assured me that's okay - no problem. Then, when I had the frame just under a year, a crack appeared abaout 3/4 through the eyepiece in the usual place. I took it to the optician's and they arranged to have the frame replaced with a duplicate (very expensive), free of charge . They went with the idea it's a "flaw in the workmanship."

My new frame also clicked from the first day I got it. That optician said that's fine - it's just new and the sound will go away. I said it didn't the first time.... Anyway, it still clicks and I'm a bit leary. I went back to them with the idea I'd make the point, right now before the frame cracks, that it still clicks and I'm a little uneasy about the frame. That guy fiddled with it, saying he didn't hear much and, were it to crack again, once the company replaces one frame they'd never replace it again free of charge. In other words, I was afraid if it cracked I'd take it back and they'd blame me this time, but he says it doesn't matter whose fault it is; they'd never replace it. My idea was not they'd do anything drastic, like already replace the frame again - just that they might try to fasten the lenses better.

Have any of you experienced this sort of thing? Do you see an association between clicking and the cracking? The guy last night, also experienced, said he didn't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads