• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently spot-cleaned a white garment (100% cotton, if it helps) using diluted bleach, only to have the bleach strip the white out and leave the spots a tarnished yellow color, which I presume is actually the natural color of the cotton. After some reading I decided to try soaking the spots in white vinegar and rinsing. This helped, but the spots are still noticeable in the right light. Has anyone found any other methods that work for whitening fabric to actual white, rather than just off-white, or perhaps a product that works to cover up such spots? Any help would be much appreciated.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by easy_golfing
whats better: buy size 32 pants and have the waist taken in an inch, or buy size 30 and have the waist let out an inch??

It is easier to take waist in

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pickpackpockpuck
I recently spot-cleaned a white garment (100% cotton, if it helps) using diluted bleach, only to have the bleach strip the white out and leave the spots a tarnished yellow color, which I presume is actually the natural color of the cotton. After some reading I decided to try soaking the spots in white vinegar and rinsing. This helped, but the spots are still noticeable in the right light. Has anyone found any other methods that work for whitening fabric to actual white, rather than just off-white, or perhaps a product that works to cover up such spots? Any help would be much appreciated.

You really should've asked for advice before you started putting bleach on your clothing...

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Really I should've known better, but being as I can't change what's already happened, any ideas?

Galix

Reaction score
Hi!

A quick question about shoe size. I normally wear a UK 7 E size (i.e. Tricker's). I saw a nice deal on Church's but the size is a UK 7 G. Is that a huge difference in fit? Would it still be comfortable to wear?

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with Sacha shoes? Was told about them today.

Lucas7

Reaction score
What book does every SF member have to read about Men Clothing?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by easy_golfing
whats better: buy size 32 pants and have the waist taken in an inch, or buy size 30 and have the waist let out an inch??

That depends on how it fits elsewhere. If not trying on first, it might be possible estimate by the fit of other pants or knowledge of so-called figure variations (for example, a relatively large behind).

johnmcnamee

Reaction score
My uniform for work is black shoes, black trousers, black shirt, and a tie.

Should I just buy a plain black tie, or are there any colors which could work against a completely black outfit?

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnmcnamee
My uniform for work is black shoes, black trousers, black shirt, and a tie.

Should I just buy a plain black tie, or are there any colors which could work against a completely black outfit?

Where do you work that requires you to wear black on black? Im not really a big fan of black shirts in general but a mid grey tie might work well for you. Whatever you do dont wear a white tie or you will look like a tool.

johnmcnamee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Where do you work that requires you to wear black on black? Im not really a big fan of black shirts in general but a mid grey tie might work well for you. Whatever you do dont wear a white tie or you will look like a tool.

I'm a sales assistant working in retail, so unfortunately there's no way to avoid it! Thanks for your response!

lenahan

Reaction score
hello.
question: what do people recommend to wear with striped SC (I have 2, one charcoal striped, one black striped. One was once a suit, the latter was never a suit). I love them, and often wear black trousers with the former and charcoal with the latter. Any recommendations?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads