• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpmac7
I think I win for the day! Today I found a Great Gatsby 1st Ed. 1925. Basically this one but in better condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Gatsby-F-S...item4aaae284e6

Total Cost $1.08 with tax!
devil.gif

GTF right out of town! Do you know how much that's worth? Or how cool it is?!

Aaaaaaaaaaagh! Pics, please. And can I borrow it?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Posting again to note jaw still utterly glued to floor....

And I thought my $300 William Burroughs book was a major find!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
These shoes:
NordyWTlabel.jpg

NordyWTfront.jpg
NordyWTsole.jpg

"Made in England for Nordstrom." Anyone have an idea who might have made these? They seem pretty nice. Size 12B, so they're not for me!

They're Edward Green's; note the distinctive nail pattern in groups of three. Nordstrom's--briefly--had a deal with them in the '80s. I've found two pairs of similar shoes myself, both 12's! Each pair went for about $160 on eBay.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
GTF right out of town! Do you know how much that's worth? Or how cool it is?!

Aaaaaaaaaaagh! Pics, please. And can I borrow it?

And I thought I did good when I thrifted a copy of "Official Preppy Handbook" and sold it for $30 on eBay! I know nothing of rare books, how much is a 1st edition "Great Gatsby" worth??

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few thousand, at least. Or technically a few thousand, the last I checked. I'm sure people have slowed down on the rare books, just like everything else.

I would love to read an OG copy, though, just because...

Can I say again: wow!

worship.gif

justinsmnz

Reaction score
Jesus Christ on the Gatsby 1st ed. Absolutely absurd that someone would let that slip into the donation pile. Picked this up today. Looks to have been worn maybe once. Still had the creases from folding.
IMG_9624copy.jpg

seanmj

Reaction score
About the Gatsby: It's definitely not a book club or repro edition? I once found a For Whom the Bell Tolls "first edition" that was a repro, though it didn't say anywhere on it that it was a repro. It was an exact replica.

If authentic, that's pretty astonishing.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LukeM
Does it still have the dust jacket?

Na I wish, apparently if it has a jacket then its worth like 100X More
eh.gif

Originally Posted by seanmj
About the Gatsy: It's definitely not a book club or repro edition? I once found a For Whom the Bell Tolls "first edition" that was a repro, though it didn't say anywhere on it that it was a repro. It was an exact replica.

If authentic, that's pretty astonishing.

After doing some, needless to say, unique research I am pretty sure its real. This website confirms it:

http://modernfirsteditions.net/the-g...tt-fitzgerald/

-

svd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpmac7
Na I wish, apparently if it has a jacket then its worth like 100X More
eh.gif

After doing some, needless to say, unique research I am pretty sure its real. This website confirms it:

http://modernfirsteditions.net/the-g...tt-fitzgerald/

-

Hell of a find. I never bother with books. Shops near me are too savvy to put them out or picked over by regulars.

15 years ago I lived in Florida and used to find some very nice 1st editions.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
books are tough. things like gatsby firsts are pretty easy to figure out. but a lot of times, it's the most obscure books that have the highest value. or things you'd never think of. i pay attention to books and had a great book that i recycled: years ago i'd done a profile of a pretty obscure author named michael ondaatje and we hit it off. he sent me a copy of a book he'd written called "coming through slaughter" that he'd signed. I stuck it in my bookshelf after reading it and didn't give it another thought. years later, of course, he did the english patient and then there was a movie based on it. i was clearing out shelves and didn't even think about it until i went back to my used bookstore a couple weeks later and saw it there in a display case for a couple hundred dollars.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Staatsoper
They're Edward Green's; note the distinctive nail pattern in groups of three. Nordstrom's--briefly--had a deal with them in the '80s. I've found two pairs of similar shoes myself, both 12's! Each pair went for about $160 on eBay.

Fantastic! I had a feeling it was something like that, and was hoping someone could read the nail pattern. Thanks!

JMayle

Reaction score
E Park Avenue in 11 C Corneliani Linen in XXL (can take measurements if anyone's interested, too big for me) Barbera Club - size 40/15.75" and this awesome print

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads