• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teggeh: Just train it out to Sydney on a weekend and shop there. Visit Herringbone outlet and what not. Don't know whether DJs stock the Milana scarves in Canberra, but during this sale 80 Cash 20 Wool scarves are going for $25. Good enough to keep your neck warm. As for shoes, if you know your size, you have to shop online from Herring Shoes and Pediwear (for English shoes), and maybe even the ebay seller Apoox10 (for Italian shoes).

Speaking of Herringbone, I just realised the buttons on their shirts are plastic. For shirts that are nearly $200 I'd expect MOP buttons especially when they aren't exactly all that expensive anyway. I am disappoint.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strange question, but does anyone know if it's possible for a tailor to widen the sleeves of a suit in the bicep area? I have this beautiful 38R RLBL khaki suit that I bought in summer and didn't get to wear more than 3 times until I put it away for the season (even got a compliment on this thread when a SF member saw me in it at a Herringbone sale in Melbourne). Since then I have hit the gym fairly regularly and broadened across the shoulders to the point where I am more like a size 40 now. My biceps have also got quite a bit bigger. I tried on the jacket of the suit just before for the first time since summer and, while it's a bit tighter than I'd like (as I said I am probably more like a 40 now), it's wearable except for the fact that the sleeves feel particularly tight in the bicep area. For some reason they seem to be cut a lot slimmer than my other 38 suits. It'd be a shame if I had to sell it so I am hoping it's somehow fixable, though I doubt it. This is the one:
confused.gif
windowslivewritermiloventimigliainkhakisuits-a9d0milo-ventimiglia-gq-khaki-suit-2-thumb.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Upright Man
G'day everyone! Been lurking here for a while and decided to post as I've got a question on shoes. I'm looking to buy some new shoes with a budget of ~$300. I'd like to get some brown brogues and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about brands and where to get a reasonable deal? I've been looking at some Loakes or possibily Allen Edmonds for my kind of budget. Any objections? Forgot to add - I'm in Brisbane.
As mentioned below, you could get in touch with StyleForum member Neyus at Deer Style to have a look at his sample shoes. Alternatively, go to DJs, try on some Loakes or Zegna shoes, and then order online. Loakes can be purchased at very reasonable prices from places like Pediwear and Herring Shoes. Other UK brands such as Crockett & Jones (C&J) are a step up in quality and in price.
Originally Posted by Naka
I shot an email to Deer Style located in Brisbane about shoe pricing and I was surprised at the answer. Fully handstitched shoes, starting at around $200 for oxfords. I haven't ordered anything from them yet but I might be popping in next week.
Originally Posted by The Upright Man
Sounds tempting. Let me know how you get on.
Remember to give Deer Style a call or send an e-mail first to arrange a time to visit, as the owner isn't there all the time and so if you just drop in, you might be disappointed.
Originally Posted by tomee
if youre a size 8 in US, is it a size down in UK? i plan to buy from herringshoes.co.uk
Usually, yes. As an example, I usually take a US10, and I'm usually a UK9 in most English shoes. It's not an absolutely hard and fast rule, though - it depends both on the shape of your feet and on the manufacturer of the shoes, and sometimes even on the last the shoe is made on (ie the shape of that particular model of shoe from a particular maker).

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lachyzee
Strange question, but does anyone know if it's possible for a tailor to widen the sleeves of a suit in the bicep area?

I have this beautiful 38R RLBL khaki suit that I bought in summer and didn't get to wear more than 3 times until I put it away for the season (even got a compliment on this thread when a SF member saw me in it at a Herringbone sale in Melbourne). Since then I have hit the gym fairly regularly and broadened across the shoulders to the point where I am more like a size 40 now. My biceps have also got quite a bit bigger.

I tried on the jacket of the suit just before for the first time since summer and, while it's a bit tighter than I'd like (as I said I am probably more like a 40 now), it's wearable except for the fact that the sleeves feel particularly tight in the bicep area. For some reason they seem to be cut a lot slimmer than my other 38 suits.

It'd be a shame if I had to sell it so I am hoping it's somehow fixable, though I doubt it.

This is the one:
confused.gif

windowslivewritermiloventimigliainkhakisuits-a9d0milo-ventimiglia-gq-khaki-suit-2-thumb.jpg

I say no. Time to get rid of the excess fat and tone up :p

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I say no. Time to get rid of the excess fat and tone up :p

Hah, I wish there was fat to lose. A little around my belly perhaps, but not a whole lot of bicep fat...!

Oh well, if any of you are interested, there will probably be a practically brand new RLBL khaki suit on B&S soon!

I'm heartbroken, it's such a nice suit. I was prepared to spend a bit of money on it since I figured that a khaki suit, as a fairly infrequently worn seasonal item, would last me for years. Oh well, it's my own fault.

ned kelly

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Bartalesi shoes from Azzaro. $250 Dropped TO $200.I am planing to have them Topyed . Should i fit topys before i wear them or should i wear them to break them in and then fit topys?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ned kelly
I recently bought a pair of Bartalesi shoes from Azzaro. $250 Dropped TO $200.I am planing to have them Topyed . Should i fit topys before i wear them or should i wear them to break them in and then fit topys?

Some people do them brand new before any wearing down of any part of the sole - especially the toe. Some people wear it a couple of times first to break them in a bit and have the sole roughened up a bit to have the topy stick better. Probable doesn't matter all that much anyway.

Liking the look of that suit. Hm got to try on a khaki brown suit sometime.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ned kelly

I was told that you need to let the shoe mould to your foot before you Topy them, otherwise they may split. Not sure if that's true or an excuse they gave me as to why the sole was separating from the uppers.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Boys, I need to order some Saphir shoe renovateur and creme fairly quickly - any tips on where is the best place to go online? (Assuming that there is nowhere in Melbourne you can get this stuff - but am happy to be proved wrong).

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Boys, I need to order some Saphir shoe renovateur and creme fairly quickly - any tips on where is the best place to go online? (Assuming that there is nowhere in Melbourne you can get this stuff - but am happy to be proved wrong).

Got mine from the Hangar Project, but I believe you can also get renovateur and creme from the Suitable Wardrobe on-line store.

Be aware: renovateur sells out real quick, and you may have to wait a while.

Don't think there are any brick-and-mortar stores selling Saphir products.

Cheers
CEP

P.S. Have you had your second P Johnson fitting yet?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new affliate, A Fine Pair of Shoes, sells Saphir products too. What makes their creams so much better than what we have here to actually make you buy it from over seas. Surely there are comparable products around here. Speaking of AFPoS: http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/co...oake-stowe-tan 105GBP with free shoe tree, E width, sleek last. Sounds like a good deal.
biggrin.gif

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like you have a polishing emergency!

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Ernesto
Sounds like you have a polishing emergency!

Indeed. See my post here:

Gents, a recent incident at home resulted in one toe cap on a relatively brand new pair of dark brown Hallam's to get completely soaked. The result is that the cap has lost it's wonderful deep dark brown colour and looks a lot lighter, and almost duller. When I say duller, it is more like the shade of the shoe tounge. I have tried to apply some dark brown cream, but it hasn't really worked.

Any other options available to me?

Burst pipe spilled water throughout my pace. The shoes are covered by insurance and the assessor gave it the tick yesterday. But I think it is still worth trying to save the shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads