• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickyD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bhall41
Has anyone from Melbourne tried Captains of Industry, who are also featured (on p 28). I have read about them previously, and was curious. They do MTM suits and bespoke shoes. Suits start at $1,200 and shoes $1,000.
my first post here, but I recognize a few names on here from various other forums. I'm booked in tomorrow for my first measuring at CoI, ignoring the POS I got in Thailand a few years ago it will be my first MTM suit. I've actually just returned from a trip to London & Paris, and I think the shopping over there has ruined me for shopping in Melbourne. Bought a pair of C&J's (Londsale handgrade, Dark Brown antique calf, also got a matching belt) and Church's (Westbury custom grade in black calf, ordered the matching belt last night after not being able to find stock in Paris), a Ben Sherman suit at their Savile Row store (which I love, I'm kicking myself I didn't buy more, completely different suit to what they have available here, and ludicrously bargain priced for what it is), plus some shirts from CT in Jermyn St, as well as Thomas Pink (these are ludicrously overpriced here compared to the UK). I'm pretty much going through a complete work wardrobe refresh at the moment, far too many suits in there which are pretty horrendous
smile.gif
smile.gif

The Upright Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naka
I shot an email to Deer Style located in Brisbane about shoe pricing and I was surprised at the answer. Fully handstitched shoes, starting at around $200 for oxfords. I haven't ordered anything from them yet but I might be popping in next week.

Sounds tempting. Let me know how you get on.

tomee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xiaoli
Herring Shoes is great! Super fast shipping via UPS as well. Usually gets here within the week.

Also you automatically get a tax refund which cancels out the shipping costs
smile.gif

The British shoes I had have all fitted true to size, except for Barker which is silightly looser but still no slippages.

The Carminas are quite tight in the start but loosens to be very snug. Best fitting for me
smile.gif

if youre a size 8 in US, is it a size down in UK?
i plan to buy from herringshoes.co.uk

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Oooooo just got the Azzaro email - they're doing July as well. Some Cantarelli down to $400 and some Versace collection down to $300.

PeeGee: scout for us please!

I haven't got my email yet!! I might go down later in the week and check them out and have a chat to them. At those prices I presume that its older stock he's still trying to shift. Any sizes that people want me to do a reconnaissance on?

I did some window shopping today in Melbourne's conservative business dress, let's call it a 'tale of two sales'.

Ralph Lauren have their winter sale on. Lots of Black Label Anthony suits on sale for $1200-1400...but then you take another 20% off that. A couple of dinner suits too, including a 42L (one button, peak lapel which I tried on earlier in the year) for $1195, less 20%.

Zegna had their sale too...although 'sale' probably isn't the right word. A lovely Trofeo suit in medium blue (Milano model)...on sale at $2200 ($1000 off). Then he showed me a lovely Zegna Couture single-breasted peak lapel in charcoal pinstripe, amazing value at $3200 ($2000 off).

Quite how they can be spruiking those prices when David Jone's has a whole rack of Milano-model suits for $1300 is beyond me. Yes Trofeo is a lovely fabric but I'm not going to pay almost %100 extra for the privilege.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ You know what I want, slim 36s, especially the cotton and unstructured stuff.
biggrin.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PeeGee: Yup 46 Euro.

Pooh Bear: Was there ever a sale like this where even the premium brands get 50% off at DJs?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Exact same reasons for me too actually, but the last on these Carmina's is very elegant.

armouryproductmay201101.jpg

My Carmina's came in today, what beautiful shoes, and they were only ordered Thursday last week! Fantastic.

For you Canberra Guys I took them in to the cobbler in Fyshwick near where I work (Strangely named Manuka cobblers) to put some metal toe taps on, he was also very impressed with them. He actually makes shoes and I am taking a pair in to be re heeled tomorrow so i'll talk with him a bit more then, seems a very nice guy though. Could be a good resource for those guys that have asked about good Canberra cobblers

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Carmina's came in today, what beautiful shoes, and they were only ordered Thursday last week! Fantastic.

For you Canberra Guys I took them in to the cobbler in Fyshwick near where I work (Strangely named Manuka cobblers) to put some metal toe taps on, he was also very impressed with them. He actually makes shoes and I am taking a pair in to be re heeled tomorrow so i'll talk with him a bit more then, seems a very nice guy though. Could be a good resource for those guys that have asked about good Canberra cobblers

This sounds great thanks Charlie

I tried to ring 6239-3155 what are there hours?

Teggeh

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time poster, I've recently moved to Canberra and I've come to realise that I need a much thicker and warmer coat for work and a nice jacket for when I go out to a nice restaurant or function. I had a look around the Civic Centre today, and honestly, I was underwhelmed by the available selections. Do you guys have recommendations of places in Australia or better yet, in Canberra to have a look for some more, interesting choices.

Cheers
smile.gif

edit: Some other things on my list of items to buy; a nice new pair of black leather shoes and some scarves (they're all so itchy
musicboohoo[1].gif
)

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickyD
my first post here, but I recognize a few names on here from various other forums.

I'm booked in tomorrow for my first measuring at CoI, ignoring the POS I got in Thailand a few years ago it will be my first MTM suit.

I've actually just returned from a trip to London & Paris, and I think the shopping over there has ruined me for shopping in Melbourne. Bought a pair of C&J's (Londsale handgrade, Dark Brown antique calf, also got a matching belt) and Church's (Westbury custom grade in black calf, ordered the matching belt last night after not being able to find stock in Paris), a Ben Sherman suit at their Savile Row store (which I love, I'm kicking myself I didn't buy more, completely different suit to what they have available here, and ludicrously bargain priced for what it is), plus some shirts from CT in Jermyn St, as well as Thomas Pink (these are ludicrously overpriced here compared to the UK).
I'm pretty much going through a complete work wardrobe refresh at the moment, far too many suits in there which are pretty horrendous
smile.gif
smile.gif

Welcome Micky. I would be very interested to know how the suit turns out for you.

Sounds like you did some pretty impressive shopping OS. I lived in London for a few years, and you are 100% correct - shopping over there can ruin shopping for you in Melbourne!

Oleg

Reaction score
No worries. hmm not sure about the hours, maybe he closes at 4. I'll check tomorrow though.
For those who can't be arsed traipsing out to Fyshwick, I always found Jhay at Dickson shops very reliable.
Originally Posted by Teggeh
Hey guys, First time poster, I've recently moved to Canberra and I've come to realise that I need a much thicker and warmer coat for work and a nice jacket for when I go out to a nice restaurant or function. I had a look around the Civic Centre today, and honestly, I was underwhelmed by the available selections. Do you guys have recommendations of places in Australia or better yet, in Canberra to have a look for some more, interesting choices. Cheers
smile.gif
edit: Some other things on my list of items to buy; a nice new pair of black leather shoes and some scarves (they're all so itchy
musicboohoo[1].gif
)

If you've tried David Jones (which is significantly worse than it used to be), Blades and John Hannah, Rodd and Gunn, that other one on the corner of London Circuit which I can never remember the name of, Oxford and Country Rd, you've probably exhausted Canberra's potential. to be honest. Shoes are a complete non-starter: the only shoes I bought there in seven plus years of living there were thongs. Pleasant enough place but clothing went comprehensively to **** when DJs got downgraded and Herringbone closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads