• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who do you absolutely trust?

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend asked me this yesterday and I answered that the only person I absolutely trust is my mother. In business, I trust people to be skillful and knowledgeable but not much beyond that. Lovers and friends usually mean well but the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Is there someone you've come to trust completely? What sealed it and made you believe you could trust them?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say. It's not really one thing, but a long history of showing yourself to be trustworthy. My business partner is a guy I've known since college and I've watched him be honest, often when it would be a lot easier not to be.

One thing I would say is that if you meet someone who is mistrustful all of the time, they are probably not trustworthy.

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My best friend Tobias. He has been there for me through all the good and all the bad. I trust him more than anybody or anything. He is the best and truest friend a person could ever possibly have. I am blessed.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my wife and parents. some of my siblings. some of my friends

its hard to say what exactly sealed it. i guess knowing them long enough and an established trust that has never been breached.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
absolutely...probably just my parents although I am not sure I would want to put the most serious of things upon them. I would probably find someone more like a friend or lover who I might not trust absolutely but that I feel I could trust with that particular issue.

I've had pretty good luck with girls I have been in serious relationships with...but I can't give it the absolute moniker. Their own self interest is going to be involved and of course there are issues that might involve them--but they are probably the closest if I need to tell someone something or rely on someone to come through for me. Friends seem to have a way of leaking information to each other or to their significant others...its not malicious but its somewhat expected (unless it was something crazy enough to shock them into keeping their mouth shut in all circumstances...like that time with the dead pizza guy in the trunk...)

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents (five years ago my father would not have been included), father's parents, brother, sister, several friends, and one of my college professors. If it's possible to have degrees of 'absolute trust' my mother would def be first. Also several 'fringe' friends who have never given me a reason to not trust them but just haven't been in tough situations.

Everyone named has shown a willingness to have blind faith in whatever situation was present and are in general kind/decent people. Every relationship has been different. One friend I have played soccer with since we were 10 so we've gained a trust through that. Many weekends traveling together, with gfs (shared hotel room etc), to various tournaments helped.

I grew up with, and still have, an exceptionally tight family which has withstood some relatively difficult times.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone with a 3000+ post count on SF

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Anyone with less than a 3000+ post count on SF

teacha.gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mistrust anyone who made more than 3000 posts. It shows too much vanity. It is often the mark of a cad.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My father and a girl i've known for about 10 years. I don't really trust anyone besides them.

QBNCGAR

Reaction score
Nobody. Trust but verify.

habanos

Reaction score
After thinking it over i cant really name anyone.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
No one.

Sad.

My parents, my wife, and my daughter. Implicitly.

Also my friends Jon, Wesley, Robert, and Greg. All have proven time and time again that they're quality men.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
my dog

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads