• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like a box pleat would be functional to me, hence my surprise. He says it's more decorative. He was talking about this in the context of a custom shirt, by the way. Maybe the idea is that the box pleat is useless because you don't need overall slimming on a custom shirt"”it should just be cut to fit to begin with"”while shoulder darts can provide some shape. But now I'm just guessing what he was thinking. Incidentally, his comment comes from this Put This On video: http://putthison.com/post/6824514250...e-thorn-visits

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snowmanxl
i have a shirt with an inner box pleat but its stitched so there is no point to it really. if i was to un-stitch the pleat i could see its use. would help for ppl with broad shoulders imo. should i take the stitching out, is it like a pair of trousers with the back pockets stitched shut?
are your shoulders too broad for the shirt ? if yes, remove stitch. if no, then why ? lesson #2 for snow
998sf.jpg

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, a bit broad for the shirt. its the scarf shirt. im finding all my kva shirts too small.
i just bought some drkshdw poplin aircuts and they fit but i find them to have a low rise. DAMN YOU DAMIR DOMA AND YOUR DRAPEYNESS, now everything is so uncomfortable!!
ffffuuuu.gif

i will def try to do that scarf wrap bc i have the same scarf in a diff colourway (grey/blk)...i think i have a fit pic, but the rest of my garb looks off.
teacha.gif

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
found two articles on DD i posted for you in the runway threak. where did you get that braided scarf ?

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought it at oki ni a while ago. 1.5 years or so.. surely youve seen a fit pic or two?? edit: heres an oldie but goldie (glasses shot inside)
laugh.gif

L4W3m.jpg

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i think i have. i just didn't know where you got it. i hope oki-ni picks up dd again i need to burn some credit there and nothing that i like so far ......

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
same, why havent they!! was the lncc thing a amicable split up? all i know is that the oki ni model opened up lncc and took lucy with him
laugh.gif

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't stand the combination of smaller box pleats and darts on a shirt. That seems to me like two opposing functions battling one another on the same item. I find that this usually leads to an unflattering hunch back effect.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a shirt with both; if I did I would assume it were altered after purchase. And box pleats, IME anyway, do what they are intended to do nicely.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
I've never seen a shirt with both; if I did I would assume it were altered after purchase. And box pleats, IME anyway, do what they are intended to do nicely.

They're out there and they aren't pretty. Preferences I guess, but specifically on heavier cloth like oxford cloth, I prefer shirts that are cut slim without them. Thom Browne for instance does a good job of this. I much prefer shoulder pleats if I had to choose.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
boo does this, no? personally I dont find it offensive but to each his own.

They do the full sewn pleat top to bottom, but I think they are more for decoration than anything else. I was referring to the smaller box pleat that is only runs down a few inches below the top seam ala Gitman. One of the reasons I am hesitant to dart my Gitman. If I were to dart them it would be to remove the billowing, but with that semi box pleat, I would still get it, but only in the upper back which is counterproductive.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah forgot about the box pleat. That **** is lame, billows out on top. BoO box pleats are really just decoration, they don't offer any movement or anything. I get the box pleats removed from my gitmans

crackerjack

Reaction score
Can't you just have a tailor close the pleat all the way down, making it look similar to BoO? Should slim them a bit too right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads