• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
Okay Australian members - here is a 'what price style dilemma?' for you...

I bought some vintage Florsheim Royal Imperial longwings at Rozelle markets on Saturday. They are beautiful, heavy old school brogues and the shell cordovan (yes, I'm sure) has a great patina too it. With a condition and polish up they are now a rich deep mahogany colour. Just really nice shoes - and at $5, a bargain as well.

Only problem is they are a bit too big for me. Width is fine, but they would be, maybe, a size and half too long. I am wearing them today and they feel, as you would expect, a bit odd. I don't slide around, but I have them laced tight.

What to do? Keep and just make do or pass them on - or can a cobbler pad out the heal cup or something?

At AUD5 that beats my Aldens shells at AUD8! Seeing as you paid so little you next step is a trip to the cobbler and for a further payment of AUD15-17 dollars for a leather TACCO insert to take up the volume. If the width is good the length should not be too much of a problem as they are longwings ie no toecap. Thicker socks also helps but if you get the Goofy feeling still then sell for a nice profit. The other thing is to check for "beef roll" type undulations in the leather vamp and, if so, they will likely be shell.

tomee

Reaction score
hey guys

anyone know where i can get a similar pair like these shoes without breaking the bank?

IMG_3844.jpg

JSSM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
If anyone's interested, I spotted some Rhodes and Beckett suits going down to $399. Pretty damn alright for half canvassed in Australia. The one I saw was that same one I wanted from couple of weeks earlier: Chocolate POW check. The drop has got to be a 7 or an 8. I really would be all over it if the pants were not so tight across my thighs as the jacket fit me really well. I also saw some of their shirts for $70 which is also decently priced enough.

Surprised there's still anything left. The various R&B stands I've wandered past over the last couple of weeks haven't had much variety - mostly black and charcoal - and at $899.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomee
hey guys

anyone know where i can get a similar pair like these shoes without breaking the bank?

I purchased a similar pair of suede half brogues from Charles Tyrwhitt a few years ago, which have held up well although I wear them infrequently. You could try there. Also, Pediwear and Herring Shoes for Loake, Cheaney etc.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of good deals, Zegna in Sydney (MLC Centre) is having its yearly sale (30, 40, or 60% off stock). Good for kopping a decent tie for about $60-$70AUD.

Got me a silk-cashmere tie in navy shot with brown for about $60!

Best time of the year to buy anything from the Z.

Cheers

P.S. Will try to post pics of P Johnson no. 2 (french navy twill) soon. Best darn navy suit I own...

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSSM
Surprised there's still anything left. The various R&B stands I've wandered past over the last couple of weeks haven't had much variety - mostly black and charcoal - and at $899.

From looking at people on the streets, I don't think many people have the balls to wear a suit that is not black or grey and one that's patterned at that. The same suit has been sitting there for weeks.

Speaking of Zegna, anyone know where can I kop any of those Zegna Montenapoleone 27 ties?
IMG_2645-1.jpg

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From looking at people on the streets, I don't think many people have the balls to wear a suit that is not black or grey and one that's patterned at that. The same suit has been sitting there for weeks.

Speaking of Zegna, anyone know where can I kop any of those Zegna Montenapoleone 27 ties?
IMG_2645-1.jpg

Those are the knits I was referring to, BM!

Think there's two navy cashmere knits (in Sydney) at 30% off, and a green stripe on white at 60%off!

Are you in Melbourne? Maybe try their Melbourne Boutique.

Only time worth buying the Z is when is on sale like that.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColdEyedPugilist
Those are the knits I was referring to, BM!

Think there's two navy cashmere knits (in Sydney) at 30% off, and a green stripe on white at 60%off!

Are you in Melbourne? Maybe try their Melbourne Boutique.

Only time worth buying the Z is when is on sale like that.

Win! When do the stores close? If its 6 I'm straight there after work.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomee
hey guys

IMG_3844.jpg

You know I'm not a fan of those, they look like they should be an oxford for some reason, can't put my finger on it. But in saying that, I didn't think much of Lobbs in general until I went to Leather Soul in Hawaii last year and the lasts are much nicer in real life,.

To answer your question though, try the Herring Reading, I'm wearing mine today. Made by Loake, quality is ok, not amazing though and definitely not up to 1880 standards, but priced accordingly.

Meanwhile I'm anxiously waiting for my Carmina Bordeaux Derby's to come from the Armoury, they are one of the best looking Derby's I have come across (I'm usually an oxfor man all the way).

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe

Meanwhile I'm anxiously waiting for my Carmina Bordeaux Derby's to come from the Armoury, they are one of the best looking Derby's I have come across (I'm usually an oxfor man all the way).

They look great. I have always much preferred Derby's for some reason.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I seem to have developed a certain love for oxfords and general indifference to derby shoes now days. Is it because they look cleaner and neater? Or is it the uniqueness of them in the Aussie concrete wasteland where the derby shoes dominate? Perhaps a bit of both.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I seem to have developed a certain love for oxfords and general indifference to derby shoes now days. Is it because they look cleaner and neater? Or is it the uniqueness of them in the Aussie concrete wasteland where the derby shoes dominate? Perhaps a bit of both.

Exact same reasons for me too actually, but the last on these Carmina's is very elegant.

armouryproductmay201101.jpg

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I raced down to Zegna straight after work today and... didn't buy anything. The sensible old side of me won the battle and the lover of ties side of me is feeling quite sore right now. $80 for a tie, I don't know how I'm almost willing to drop that much down, when this very same time last year I declared that there is no way I'm dropping more than $40 on one.

edit: on second thought I might just pop down there again tomorrow and buy it. :S

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
Okay Australian members - here is a 'what price style dilemma?' for you...

I bought some vintage Florsheim Royal Imperial longwings at Rozelle markets on Saturday. They are beautiful, heavy old school brogues and the shell cordovan (yes, I'm sure) has a great patina too it. With a condition and polish up they are now a rich deep mahogany colour. Just really nice shoes - and at $5, a bargain as well.

Only problem is they are a bit too big for me. Width is fine, but they would be, maybe, a size and half too long. I am wearing them today and they feel, as you would expect, a bit odd. I don't slide around, but I have them laced tight.

What to do? Keep and just make do or pass them on - or can a cobbler pad out the heal cup or something?

I wouldn't do anything too dramatic yet, as I find it takes a few wears for the shoes insole to conform to your foot - say five or six at least. Once that happens you will find it fits much better. If it still feels somewhat loose, first go the heel pads that go against the inside back of shoes heel. If its still lose, get a tounge pad. If they dont work, I would say give up at this point. Some cobblers may suggest half insole inserts - I have tried these and they just don't feel right.

What size did you score out of interest? I am amazed that people are able to pick up such great shoes on the cheap, I see nothing but crap in op shops my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics