• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ken-

let me know if you know anybody in the area selling something in the 250-500 cc range. Ideally I'd find something thats got some cosmetic issues but strong mechanicals and see how far my car detailing and bicycle restoring skills take me on getting it pretty again.

I've seen postings for some CB350s and CB450s that look nice but I'd rather not pay the "pretty" premium on my first bike if I could get good runner for less and make it pretty myself.

norcal_indy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
I have an MTS1200. Coming from Harleys, I think you would like it a lot - v-twin, far more sporty, lightweight, etc. Especially for road touring, since it is slightly more biased that way than the BMW. Coming from sportbikes, I wish it had a more forward position... And otherwise the bike is pretty much flawless. It rides well around town, it rides well on the highway, I haven't done too much off-road with it yet. The only mod I am thinking about doing to it is projector HIDs. If I was going to do it again, would I buy another one? No. But only because I miss having a sportbike and would probably get an Aprilia RSV4 Factory or Vyrus 986.
Cool - thanks for your thoughts. There are quite a few MTSs and BMWs available on Craigslist, Cycletrader, etc. so I guess I'll just keep my eye out for the right bike. I think I'll eventually end up with more bikes but one of these two will be the first. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on other makes in the same class. Do you have any thoughts o knowledge on the 1000 and 1100 cc versions of the MTS? I like the 1200 and all but am not sure about all the technology... I want a motorcycle not a robot on wheels
smile.gif
Originally Posted by Tck13
Bold =
inlove.gif
fing02[1].gif
What about a Road King?

I really like Road Kings. My old man's a fan of them and that's what he currently rides. I wouldn't mind having something slightly different since we'll probably ride together from time to time.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Nightster today ... not quite sure why. It was absurdly cheap ($5k for a 2009 with < 3000 miles), I couldn't pass it up.

It's a fun ride, but makes my 2005 Bonnie look like a technologically refined future-mobile

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
I bought a Nightster today ... not quite sure why. It was absurdly cheap ($5k for a 2009 with < 3000 miles), I couldn't pass it up.

It's a fun ride, but makes my 2005 Bonnie look like a technologically refined future-mobile

I like the Nightsters. They have that classic, no frills, American motorcycle look to them that only Harley Davidson can do well. Post some pics!

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BigA's whim purchase inspired me. Sold my Bonneville since I had too many road bikes. This filled a pretty good gap.

P1030828.jpg
P1030825.jpg

P1030824.jpg

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcal_indy
Cool - thanks for your thoughts. There are quite a few MTSs and BMWs available on Craigslist, Cycletrader, etc. so I guess I'll just keep my eye out for the right bike. I think I'll eventually end up with more bikes but one of these two will be the first. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on other makes in the same class. Do you have any thoughts o knowledge on the 1000 and 1100 cc versions of the MTS? I like the 1200 and all but am not sure about all the technology... I want a motorcycle not a robot on wheels
smile.gif
I really like Road Kings. My old man's a fan of them and that's what he currently rides. I wouldn't mind having something slightly different since we'll probably ride together from time to time.

The electronics just work, so I wouldn't worry about it. I mostly just leave it in Touring anyway. But the ability to have different settings for 1-up and 2-up and with baggage or without is hugely useful. Still has a ton of feel. Honestly you should just ride it. I just got a job offer in NYC so I'll probably sell mine in the next month when i move from SF but I could see buying one again if circumstances change (and my aforementioned desire for a sportbike decreases). Seriously in the price range I don't think there is a better bike for touring and general riding right now. Unless you are short, because it is a pretty tall bike.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Passed my course (which gets me the license in IL). Perfect score on the written test and no marks off on 3/4 of the sections of the riding test. I locked up the rear wheel at the end of the panic stop and only kicked it down to N rather than back to first (although at least in a car, my panic stop strategy has always just been clutch in and *stop* and worry about shifting down once the crisis has been averted).

Unfortunately I have to wait 3 or so weeks for them to process the paperwork and then I will have to go take the IL written car drivers test (since I am switching from my old state license) and then hand them the card that says to also add my M endorsement.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Congratulations on the test. Downshift is so that once you affect your own stop, you can immediately get the f*ck out of the way from whoever was behind you who may also be panic braking also.. Worry later is acceptable in a car, since you've got the trunk and backseat between you and the guy who was behind you, a luxury you don't have on a bike. Why I always check my mirrors every 10 seconds or so so I know who/what's behind me and how close they are..

Grug

Reaction score
Hi guys, New to SF. Here are my babies: Well, my first love at least:
mak4250.jpg
(1999 Ducati Monster M600) And current squeeze:
webmak8569.jpg
(2008 Aprilia Shiver 750) I've got a thing for naked Italians it would seem...
inlove.gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
BigA's whim purchase inspired me. Sold my Bonneville since I had too many road bikes. This filled a pretty good gap.
Ha ha I refuse to accept responsibility, though I fully endorse the purchase. Here's a pic of my new HD. Wrapped the pipes after I burned a hole in some jeans.
42392d2f-1cf2-df89.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Ha ha I refuse to accept responsibility, though I fully endorse the purchase.

Here's a pic of my new HD. Wrapped the pipes after I burned a hole in some jeans.

Very nice, I've always liked those damn bikes. They are the epitomy of the no bullshit, straight up classic American motorcycle. The bike that got me intrigued about Harley Davidsons in general was a black Nightster. I saw it in the window of the dealership and thought wow, Harley Davidson makes bikes that look like that?? Sweet bike, you'll need to ride that down my way one of these days..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads