• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London or Paris?

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Well, Paris is the greatest city in the world. So there's that. But it's also a better city for a person with a modest budget. The Parisian lifestyle is more accessible and is centered around public amenities/ social interaction. Between the parks, museums, cafes, river, architecture, neighborhoods, and people watching opportunities, you can be endlessly satisfied for almost no money at all. If you have money, and are really interested in nightlife, shopping, or sports, London may be a more suitable option.

OP this is the perfect answer to you question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

wink.gif

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makker
I love both cities, so in your opinion why would someone want to leave Paris? Even though I am still contemplating, Paris in general has the better side for the French culture, weather and women. What does London compensate with?

I'll give you the weather and the women, but I prefer the culture in London. Paris may have the Louvre, but I think the museum situation in London is superior. And they're all free. I admit to hating Paris less every time I go there, but London just feels so much more exciting than Paris and, to be honest, a bit more with the times than Paris. Parts of Paris still feel like they're stuck in the 1980s to me whereas London confronts you with aggressive modernity at every step (all the while having some beautiful architecture). I realise that can be a turn off for some, but not for me.

Moreover, I think, if you have money, you can have a better (and better looking) house in London than in Paris. I'll admit to having not been in the suburbs of Paris much, but I'll take my old flat in Hampstead or a place in Notting Hill, St. John's Wood, Maida Vale, etc, to anyone in the city of Paris.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
I know English women get a bad press and i can understand why but it does amuse me how French women are spoken about on here as if they are incredible. The average French woman is a hippocrocopig.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Camel
I know English women get a bad press and i can understand why but it does amuse me how French women are spoken about on here as if they are incredible. The average French woman is a hippocrocopig.

I think NYC girls looks better than Paris for the record..., average English girl is really, well blah... I didn't find that many amazing girls in Paris to be honest. Though I am partial to Eastern European type, so my opinion might as well be ignored in this respect.
laugh.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally ive never been to either so my opinion is mostly worthless (not that this is anything new), but I would rather go to london

Duff_Man

Reaction score
I've lived very briefly in Paris and currently live in London. I much prefer London. London is much more international, cleaner and customer service is (marginally) better. I enjoy touring in Paris and going for weekends out with friends, but not the day to day life.

Melcombe

Reaction score
Nice to have a choice of the 2.

Paris is a lovely place, but if you're not Parisian and BCBG, you'll be a semi permanent tourist. London is a much easier place to assimilate as a foreigner. Both places have some attractive real estate if money really isn't an issue.

As for women, the top ranking native stock in both cities won't give you a second look if you can't offer a step up in (local) society. And as for the rest, elegant and careful appearance usually goes hand in hand with high maintenance in all other departments. French women make more of an effort (traditionally anyway) and are accordingly higher maintenance (as a gross overgeneralisation).

With regard to food, again if money isn't a problem, you'll probably eat better in London these days and you'll certainly have more choice. As for pubs, I don't understand what the attraction is, but possibly because I take them for granted. Pubs in London come in 3 flavours : tourist trap, business watering hole and dive. My perception is that cafes in Paris might have the same typology.

Why limit to London /Paris? Almost all European capitals have their good points. Even Brussels... Berlin has the prettiest policewomen and best junk food (by far). Dublin has the best attitude to drunkenness but the pub music will drive you insane or to drink- perhaps that's the idea. Stockholm has excellent parking and possibly the most naturally attractive women. Rome is an insane mix of history, fantastic food ultra high maintenance women and some of the most eye-catching driving on the planet.

If you do come to the UK (I'll admit my bias here) do consider living outside London. The points you mention as attractions in London are sometimes even nicer in provincial cities, Oxford, Brighton, Bristol, York, even Edinburgh.

IronRock

Reaction score
Paris is a FANTASTIC city and I would love to spend more time there. But, if you are from the States you will definitely get more out of London. Definitely.

All the dudes who said you can jump on a train and head down to Paris have got it spot on. Save Paris for the moments when you need it, living there might spoil it for you, whereas living in London, life gets more interesting every day.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Melcombe
even Edinburgh.

Edinburgh is beautiful. Has a dash of the upper crust of society, and if you go to a place like Tiger Lilies, you can see them crawl under running cabs because they dropped their BB. Also, Scottish accents on girls are fuckin
inlove.gif

cxbxw

Reaction score
I love how women are being treated as a commodity in this thread - summed up by sweeping generalizations; a local produce to be 'sampled'. Nice.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cxbxw
I love how women are being treated as a commodity in this thread - summed up by sweeping generalizations; a local produce to be 'sampled'. Nice.

musicboohoo[1].gif

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Melcombe
As for pubs, I don't understand what the attraction is, but possibly because I take them for granted. Pubs in London come in 3 flavours : tourist trap, business watering hole and dive. My perception is that cafes in Paris might have the same typology.

Perhaps you don't see the attraction of pubs because you have only been to the three types you underlined there? Pubs are awesome, I always end up missing them when I am outside the UK for more than a few weeks. It is true they are not as good in London as the best pubs in the countryside but there are plenty of nice ones that don't fall into the categories you outlined.

I don't disagree with anything you said that was relevant to the topic of the thread though.

Melcombe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
Perhaps you don't see the attraction of pubs because you have only been to the three types you underlined there? Pubs are awesome, I always end up missing them when I am outside the UK for more than a few weeks. It is true they are not as good in London as the best pubs in the countryside but there are plenty of nice ones that don't fall into the categories you outlined.

You have a point. There are indeed still a few good pubs in the country, but the smoking ban, clamp down on drink driving and the availability of good wine and decent bottled beer in supermarkets has cut a swathe through the less commercially savvy licensed trade.

There are some decent pubs in London too. I used to spend far too much time in the George in Mortimer Street, Soho, in the late 80's. Went in not long ago for old times' sake and the absence of smoke has encouraged the carpet to start growing mould, judging by the smell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads