• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dan138zig

Reaction score
is it acceptable to wear slim fit suit in a really formal setting?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As mentioned previously on this forum, last week I acquired a two button single breasted Brooks Brothers 100% Camel Hair sport coat. I have a difficult time distinguishing black from dark navy and was informed when I got it home that my midnight navy blazer was actually black. It has a single vent and flap pockets with black horn buttons. So... I need suggestions for what to wear with it and when to wear it. Here's what I'd imagine would be the obvious choices.
  • Evening sport coat only.
  • Gray pants.
  • White / spread collar shirt with small patterned tie in gray tones.
  • Black bals.
After that...I'm lost.
IMG_20110624_195958.jpg

macaca

Reaction score
can someone please identify these boots? i found them in the Club Monaco lookbook.
thanks.

Costanza

Reaction score
Blue-cher, or
Bluh-cher

feastmaster

Reaction score
Is To Boot New York a reputable shoe brand? A pair of suede loafers caught my eye, but I don't want to waste money on them if I could do better... - I can't find a pic of them, but they're like dirty bucks with a red sole.

E TF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by koning
I'm looking for an tie knit with normall tie shape. This one but normall? What's the name of it.
nordstrom-ties-1901-knit-cotton-tie.jpg

I believe Will is selling some at the ASW store. They do seem to be pretty rare things - I would be interested to know of any other sources too.

shckr446

Reaction score
have a wedding coming up in the middle of july. Only have one wool suit so i was looking to get a new one for warmer weather. Want something thats light wieght so i odnt sweat my balls off. not sure on color. looking to spend under 500 but cheaper the better. any recomendations

peter12

Reaction score
I've got a few pair of BB chinos that I wear around the grad department where I am grad student. They are decent pants that I got on sale for 60% off or something. They fit decent in the seat, and crotch, but I've got those little elephant ears poking out at the pockets. I was wondering what is the cause of this, and how I can get a tailor to fix it.

KayJay85

Reaction score
Apparently it is advisable to own a tux for my MBA program as there are a number of formal dinners etc. How much should I expect to pay for an entry-level rig (suit + shirt etc) and where can I get it?

Thanks in advance
KJ

E TF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KayJay85
Apparently it is advisable to own a tux for my MBA program as there are a number of formal dinners etc. How much should I expect to pay for an entry-level rig (suit + shirt etc) and where can I get it?

Thanks in advance
KJ

You could probably get the whole lot from M&S for a couple of hundred quid.

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Hi, recently I picked up some stuff for a black tie event, and I'm pretty set except in the shoe department. I've gotten rid of most of my old dress shoes, and I'm looking for a model that would work both for work and for more formal events. I'm in Asia, so the tux I have is a bit more tailored -- just some background information.

Right now I think the safest bet is a pair of black shoes, which would also go great with the grey suit I have for work. Based on my SF lurking I'm thinking either a pair of captoes or derbies, non-square toe, and probably non-wingtip; I feel my first pair of legit dress shoes should be as flexible as possible.

Thoughts? Oh, and PS: Apparently, the style prevalent here is to have a slightly pointier tip. I think this looks a bit immature... am I right in making this assumption?

Summary: Black tie missing shoes. Want simplicity. wat do

easy_golfing

Reaction score
whats better: buy size 32 pants and have the waist taken in an inch, or buy size 30 and have the waist let out an inch??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads