• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Delicious Wines

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Not pinot grigio though, usually too weak and can't hold a stick to the others.

PG suffers from overplanting and over-marketing. but try some of the friuliano ones and you'll be really surprised. it can be a great wine.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The worst QPR wine in the entire world is Santa Margherita PG. Costs $27, drinks like $7.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
When I took over the wine list down here they had Santa Margherita PG as the house PG.
facepalm.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
PG suffers from overplanting and over-marketing. but try some of the friuliano ones and you'll be really surprised. it can be a great wine.
no, I agree about some of the friuliano ones and also the Alto Adige. My mother's 'house wine' is a $14 PG from Alto A. that is very nice.

Originally Posted by Manton
The worst QPR wine in the entire world is Santa Margherita PG. Costs $27, drinks like $7.
inorite? In your words, I think it's a source of envy and pride to Italian whites - pride because it's one of Italy's most successful brands and really helped to put the on the map in the American market, and envy because people are amazed that they can get away with charging that much.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it made the terlatos rich enough to buy time on Top Chef! that's somethign to be thankful for.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Terlato cab is pretty good.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some of their american wines are very good. they own many wineries now.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i'm with my little round buddy on this one. but we may be talking at cross-purposes. Are California wines generally a good bargain? no. But are there good bargains in California? Sure. And are those bargains usually blends? I think so.

I agree with this. There are some good cheap blends from CA and what generally makes them good is that they aren't "California-ized" what with wood chip treatments, etc. I remember when BV Rutherford was $12 and was an awesome wine, along with Beringer Knights Valley, and Mondavi Napa. All were solid, well made wines that were great expressions of Napa cab without being oaked to death, or with 16% alcohol. Ahh, those were the good old days. These days when I'm looking for value, I look to Italy and France.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A local wine shop turned me onto a rose Cremant d'Alsace from Allimant Laugner made from 100 percent pinot noir that is really delicious. Only $20. It looks like K&L has it for mail-order, too.

--Andre

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
A local wine shop turned me onto a rose Cremant d'Alsace from Allimant Laugner made from 100 percent pinot noir that is really delicious. Only $20. It looks like K&L has it for mail-order, too.

--Andre

nice, underappreciated category.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up a Tavel Rose tonight. Will be looking for an opportunity to quaff ****** off.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Picked up a Tavel Rose tonight. Will be looking for an opportunity to quaff ****** off.

I love how incredibly dry these are.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been drinking mostly (only?) Portuguese wines from the Douro and Dao regions lately. Fantastic QPR, every time.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I've been getting a lot of mileage out of cheap New Zealand Sauv Blancs, especially in warm weather (which I had tonight with my wine in Dallas). There is a strong family resemblance from bottle to bottle -they all seem to taste of green apple and fresh dill.

You should also try their Pinot Noir, Otargo region ones are drinking very well at present.

Myself had a bottle of Bay of Fires Tasmanian Pinot Noir, last night wonderful on the palate a gem to drink.

Gravel Pit Shiraz Viognier not too plumby or jammy as I have found some S/V of late, very easy drinking wine with a lot of depth, good back palate. Other wise Laughing Magpie a consistently good S/V.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics